Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AliceW

Good Books W/info On Dining Out In Ethnic Restaurants?

There seem to be a lot of books out there about navigating restaurants when you are gluten-free, but I'm not sure which one one to try. I live in New York City and love to eat out in ethnic restautants..mostly Japanese and Indian, but also Chinese, Thai...but I am currently afraid to go to any of those places because they use so many sauces and so many unfamiliar ingredients, there is often a language barrier with the server/chef, etc etc.

I'm currently avoiding restaurants other than sushi places and seafood places (they seem easiest because they offer some "simple" foods), but I hate the idea of having to avoid so many places I used to love indefinitely.

Any suggestions??

Alice

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Triumph Dining cards seem to be what you need. They are a series of about 5 or 6 laminated dining card in 5-6 languages. I keep mine in my wallet and have used it many time successfully.

They can be ordered on line.

Hope this was helpful.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Hey girl,

I second Lisa's suggestion.

There is also a recent book about places that are friendly to gluten free eaters, or places that people have eaten at successfully, and ideas for what to order there. I can't think of the name of it for the life of me. I don't really eat out much, so I can't be of so much help, but I know others have found this book helpful. I would think the combination of the cards and this book would be good.

The other option is to do a search on the board for new york city. There are a good number of board members from NYC that might know of specific places that might be good choices. board member 'jkmunchkin' is a fellow nyc'er and she eats out pretty well.

Laura

Hey girl,

I second Lisa's suggestion.

There is also a recent book about places that are friendly to gluten free eaters, or places that people have eaten at successfully, and ideas for what to order there. I can't think of the name of it for the life of me. I don't really eat out much, so I can't be of so much help, but I know others have found this book helpful. I would think the combination of the cards and this book would be good.

The other option is to do a search on the board for new york city. There are a good number of board members from NYC that might know of specific places that might be good choices. board member 'jkmunchkin' is a fellow nyc'er and she eats out pretty well.

Laura

Laura:

That would be me. Again, Triumph also has "The Essential Gluten-Free Restaurant Guide" 2006-07 edition. I would think that it would be invaluable to those newbies in large cities.

It lists celiac friendly restaurants including those with a gluten free menus, listed by state. It also lists well know restaurants with gluten free menu options.

I am tickled to have both the dining card as well as the Restaurant Guide.

Note: I have no association with Triumph, just the proud recipient of their products.

You can reach them by www.triumphdining.com.

Lisa

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I'd heard of the Triumph cards, but didn't know whether or not they were any good. Now that I have an endorsement I think I'll order them.Thanks again!

Alice :)