Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AmyTopolski

Anyone Know How To Make Jello?

Hi,

My daughter can not have any dye and I want her to be able to have more treats. So I was trying to find recipes to make your own jello and have had no luck. If anyone has any suggestions or information it would be a blessing!

Thanks,

Amy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi,

My daughter can not have any dye and I want her to be able to have more treats. So I was trying to find recipes to make your own jello and have had no luck. If anyone has any suggestions or information it would be a blessing!

Thanks,

Amy

I would think that Knox Original Gelatine, unflavored and substitute the water with fruit juce of your choice would make a good jello mix.

I would think that would work. :)

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

I am a vegetarian, so, I don't eat Jell-O because the gelatin is made from animals. So, I just did a vegan search for Jell-O recipes and found this one:

http://www.fatfree.com/recipes/desserts/vegetarian-jello

vegetarian jello

4 tablespoons agar agar flakes (kanten)

1 quart fruit juice

bring to a boil, simmer for 5 minutes.

Pour into a dish, add fruits if you like.

Chill

I am a vegetarian, so, I don't eat Jell-O because the gelatin is made from animals. So, I just did a vegan search for Jell-O recipes and found this one:

http://www.fatfree.com/recipes/desserts/vegetarian-jello

vegetarian jello

4 tablespoons agar agar flakes (kanten)

1 quart fruit juice

bring to a boil, simmer for 5 minutes.

Pour into a dish, add fruits if you like.

Chill

Dare I ask? :(

Lisa

I've used the plain gelatin (Knoxx) before, and it works just fine. Just follow the instructions. (Assuming you're not trying to find a vegan jello - then go the agar agar route.)

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

I've used the plain gelatin (Knoxx) before, and it works just fine. Just follow the instructions. (Assuming you're not trying to find a vegan jello - then go the agar agar route.)

Thank you tarnalberry for that generic answer. I thought you were doing to tell us that gelatin was derived from the the inner thigh fat of a mandarin ox during mating season every other year.

With humor, I sent this. :P I hope you find it as such. ;)

Lisa

Thank you tarnalberry for that generic answer. I thought you were doing to tell us that gelatin was derived from the the inner thigh fat of a mandarin ox during mating season every other year.

Thanks for that. We can always use a good laugh over here!

I always make my own with unflavored gelatin and juice. I use a leaf gelatin. If you want instructions on how to use it you can ask.

Here are two recipies that I make for my son and I.

Citrus Terrine

You can make this with a combination of any of the three citrus fruits if you don't want to use all. It can also be halved and put in a smaller casserole dish.

Combine: 1/2 cup granulated sugar and 1 1/4 cup water in a small saucepan. Add 3 whole star anise and 2 whole cinnamon sticks and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook 5 min. Remove from heat and cool. Peel and section the following fruits over a sieve set on a bowl to catch juices. 1 pink grapefruit, 2 ruby red grapefruits, 2 white grapefruits, 2 navel oranges, 2 tangerines or clementines. Remove cinnamon sticks and anise from syrup. Sprinkle gelatin on top(if using knox) and let sit 2 min. Return saucepan to low heat and stir until gelatin is completely dissolved. Remove from heat. Line a loaf pan with plasic wrap and arrange fruit inside. Drain excess juice. Pour on gelatin. Chill at least 6 hrs. If you make this in a glass dish you don't have to line it with the plasic wrap. Great to make in winter months when citrus is in season.

Raspberry Lime Gelatin

In a saucepan, combine 3/4 cup sugar and 3/4 cup water. Simmer 2 min., strain. Add the 1 1/2 tsp. gelatin(1/2 an envelope) to 1/2 cup white grape juice mixed with 1 Tb. lime juice. when softened add it back to the saucepan and warm until dissolved. Put 1(6oz) container fresh raspberries in a dish and pour the gelatin on top. Chill.

The knox with white grape juice and sliced apples would be nice too.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Nah, it's bone. :P

hehehe... (harvested during the full moon only at a particular, secret, location... :ph34r::lol: )

I keep meaning to try making it with Gatorade... :P

Bellevue, WA

I found a gelatin made from pigs ears at the health food store. I know that pigs ears are quite the doggy treat too. LOL

Tapioca intolerant

First cousin dx'd with Celiac Disease

Grandmother died of malnutrition b/c everything made her sick... sounds like celiac to me.

Gluten-free since June 2005

Dx with IBS February 2005

Blood tests both negative (or inconclusive?) for celiac (in 2002 and 2004)

Amy, if you make it from scratch tell us how it goes!

I made it! I used 1 cup water heated it up in a small saucepan with 1 tbsp gelatin. Let the gelatin dissolve then poured it in a glass bowl and added 1 cup pineapple juice (I needed something to do with the juice from a can I opened for the girls). Stirred it up and put it in the fridge. It worked! My daughter loves it! I love that it has no dye to make her go crazy, no added sugar and it's made from fruit juice. Hope this makes you want to experiment. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Amy

Nah, it's bone. :P

hehehe... (harvested during the full moon only at a particular, secret, location... :ph34r::lol: )

I keep meaning to try making it with Gatorade... :P

Should I mention that my brother wouldn't eat Jello for years because my father told him it was made with horse's hoofs? :ph34r:

Nah, better keep that info to myself. :P

Linda, Mom to Ty (11 years old)

Ty was diagnosed by blood test June 7/05

biopsy Aug 11/05, diagnosis confirmed Aug 18/05

Mom, Dad and big brother Celiac-free.

I made it! I used 1 cup water heated it up in a small saucepan with 1 tbsp gelatin. Let the gelatin dissolve then poured it in a glass bowl and added 1 cup pineapple juice (I needed something to do with the juice from a can I opened for the girls). Stirred it up and put it in the fridge. It worked! My daughter loves it! I love that it has no dye to make her go crazy, no added sugar and it's made from fruit juice. Hope this makes you want to experiment. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Amy

I'm surprised the pineapple juice worked, as it's acidic enough they advise not to use it (it'll denature the protein). That's great - I've wanted to try something like that, maybe adding a bit of coconut... ;)

Bellevue, WA

I'm surprised the pineapple juice worked, as it's acidic enough they advise not to use it (it'll denature the protein). That's great - I've wanted to try something like that, maybe adding a bit of coconut... ;)

I have heard that about pineapple, but I think it only applies to fresh.

Yum - pineapple jello. I think coconut would be a great addition.

I make jello out of "Sir Strawberry" or cherry juice from Trader Joe's. I heat part of the juice first, then add cold. You can make all kinds of jello salads with this - our favorite is strawberry with banana slices, frozen strawberries and chopped walnuts.

Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

Yum - pineapple jello. I think coconut would be a great addition.

I make jello out of "Sir Strawberry" or cherry juice from Trader Joe's. I heat part of the juice first, then add cold. You can make all kinds of jello salads with this - our favorite is strawberry with banana slices, frozen strawberries and chopped walnuts.

Thanks! That sounds wonderful.