Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

emcmaster

I Think My Job Is Constantly Glutening Me

I work as a mortgage originator, which means I can work from home if I want to. Starting in November, I have been babysitting for my friend's baby during the day and older daughter before/after school. I'm there from about 8am to 5pm. Their house is a nightmare when it comes to gluten. I have made a policy of not eating things that require me to touch it with my hands while I'm there. I also wash my hands about every other minute and use only paper towels... but I have started getting sick about once a week since then. I've been gluten-free for 9 months now and am pretty positive that I'm not getting gluten or cc at home. How realistic is this? Am I just being paranoid? How do those of you with non gluten-free households do it? (My husband eats gluten at home, but he has his own counter, own utensils, etc. and is very careful. I know it's not coming from him.)

ELIZABETH

gluten-free (04.17.2006)

corn-free (03.27.2007)

xanthan gum-free

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Nice of you to do that for your friend but is it worth your health? Yes, you are more than likely getting glutened there. I get glutened at work even though I am very careful, cleaning things with gloves etc. Her house is full of gluten. I would say tell her she needs to find someone else to look after her kids because it is ruining your health.

She had them so, she needs to find suitable care for them and you need to take charge of your health and quit doing this even tho you probably want to for your friend. If she doesn't find someone else or puts up a battle then she isn't mush of a friend.

Rusla

Asthma-1969

wheat/ dairy allergies, lactose/casein intolerance-1980

Multiple food, environmental allergies

allergic to all antibiotics except sulpha

Rheumitoid arthritis,Migraine headaches,TMJ- 1975

fibromyalgia-1995

egg allergy-1997

msg allergy,gall bladder surgery-1972

Skin Biopsy positive DH-Dec.1 2005, confirmed celiac disease

gluten-free totally since Nov. 28, 2005

Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism- 2005

Pernicious Anemia 1999 (still anemic on and off.)

Osteoporosis Aug. 2006

Creative people need maids.

Thanks Rusla. She pays me for it... not much, but it's nice to make money doing what I'd be doing at home anyway. I need to keep track and figure out if this is what is glutening me constantly... Thanks :)

ELIZABETH

gluten-free (04.17.2006)

corn-free (03.27.2007)

xanthan gum-free

Can't you take the kids to your house to look after them? That way you could control your environment better, and still help your friend.

Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

Guest cassidy

I never get sick at home where my husband eats gluten because he has learned to be careful and doesn't usually eat things like sandwiches where he is eating with his hands.

We went on a family trip where there were kids with cheerios everywhere and tons of adults all in one small house making sandwiches and snacks and all sorts of stuff. I only cooked after everyone else was done, I washed my own dishes, washed my hands constantly, and kept my dry food in my room. I really don't think I could have been more careful and I still got sick a couple of times that week. I was also so paranoid that it was hard to relax around meal-time because it was so challenging to eat and I was afraid I would get sick.

Good suggestion to see if you can bring the kids to your house. I think it is challenging to try to eat in someone else's house and not get sick.

I agree. My first thought was to watch the kids at your house. Of course, you'll have to get some toys or crafts or whatever, but perhaps mom can supply them. I'm sure she wouldn't like knowing you're getting sick from her home.

Linda, Mom to Ty (11 years old)

Ty was diagnosed by blood test June 7/05

biopsy Aug 11/05, diagnosis confirmed Aug 18/05

Mom, Dad and big brother Celiac-free.