This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

I'm Wearing A New Hat!

lonewolf

lonewolf Collaborator

I just had to share a funny turn of events. I teach PE and health at a small Christian K-8 school. One of our middle school teachers had to quit mid-year and he taught band to the middle schoolers and 5th graders. Another teacher offered to take the MS band. So, who do they ask to fill in for the 5th grade band? Me! I played the trumpet growing up (still do once in a while) and sang in choir, and I guess I was the only one left who had time in my schedule who can actually read music. This is going to be really interesting - I don't have a clue how to teach band or how to play any other instrument. Carla - I wish you lived closer!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Woman of many talents! Bravo!

How many children will you be teaching, how often does band meet, and do you teach them small group lessons on their instruments as well, or just the whole band together?

You might see if a music major or two at the local university can come help out occasionally.

There are some pretty decent and easy band arrangements of some of the popular movie scores--Star Wars, Pirates of the Carribean, Harry Potter etc. It always helps when the kids 1) like the music and 2) know what it is supposed to sound like before they try it!

lorka150 Collaborator

My degree is Bach. of Music: Education; if you have questions, fire away! You can email me, if you'd like.

lonewolf Collaborator
Woman of many talents! Bravo!

How many children will you be teaching, how often does band meet, and do you teach them small group lessons on their instruments as well, or just the whole band together?

You might see if a music major or two at the local university can come help out occasionally.

There are some pretty decent and easy band arrangements of some of the popular movie scores--Star Wars, Pirates of the Carribean, Harry Potter etc. It always helps when the kids 1) like the music and 2) know what it is supposed to sound like before they try it!

I have twenty 5th graders, twice a week for 45 minutes. I have the whole band together and I'm supposed to get them to the point where they can play a "piece" for the end of the year assembly. I'm going to be enlisting the help of some of the 8th graders to help with the woodwinds, since I can play "Mary had a little lamb" on most instruments, and that's all. I think I'll let them run some sectionals for extra practice. There are 7 trumpet players, so at least I can help a good 1/3 of the band by myself.

Good idea to call a nearby college or university - I bet some music education major needs a practicum. And also a great idea to choose a familiar song from a movie or something. They might be more motivated to practice something they think is "cool". Thanks!

Lorka - I'll be PM'ing you soon!

Can anyone tell me why in the world all the instruments are written in different keys? Why can't a C be a C on everything? I've always wondered this, but now it's driving me crazy. The conductor's score would be SO much easier to read if everyone started on the same note! ("Okay, trombone's, let's see, that looks like a G flat, but it's really a B flat, flutes, your first note is a D, trumpets and clarinets, you're on G (or whatever), oh, clarinets you are too! Oh wait, tenor sax, let's see what your note is..." And then they all play a note that sounds the same - what's up with that?)

tarnalberry Community Regular

hehehe... hang in there! :)

Can anyone tell me why in the world all the instruments are written in different keys? Why can't a C be a C on everything? I've always wondered this, but now it's driving me crazy. The conductor's score would be SO much easier to read if everyone started on the same note! ("Okay, trombone's, let's see, that looks like a G flat, but it's really a B flat, flutes, your first note is a D, trumpets and clarinets, you're on G (or whatever), oh, clarinets you are too! Oh wait, tenor sax, let's see what your note is..." And then they all play a note that sounds the same - what's up with that?)

It's because the instruments are pitched differently; they try to write each part in whatever clef gives them the fewest notes above or below the staff. If you write a trombone part in treble clef, they would have to read 10 ledger lines below the staff.

I'm not sure asking the eigth graders to help out is a good idea.

Our local high school, which had a fantastic orchestra program, hired a guitar player to replace the wonderful violinist who passed away. He tried to get the first chair players to help teach the younger, less experienced kids.

More than half the orchestra ended up quitting; NOBODY was getting adequate instruction, and the parents were furious. The guitar player initially brought some professionals in to help out, but then felt that he could manage. He lost his job after the second year of this.

This might be a wonderful opportunity for you--I certainly wouldn't want to deny you the challenges and joys of making music with kids. It's something you'll remember forever, especially after that spring concert! But remember that the parents are probably paying tuition if this is a private school, which means that they might be much more vocal with their dissatisfation with things than at a public school.

You might look into having whichever university in your area with the strongest pre-college music program offer a satellite program at your school. They could send instrumental teachers to your school for after-school private lessons (the parents would pay the university program or the teachers directly). Parents love this, because then they don't have to schlep their kids from point A to point B, they just pick up their child 30-60 minutes later than usual. Schools like to do this because it means that they can provide extracurricular on-site activites that other schools cdon't offer. And the students benefit enormously: if you look at any school's National Merit Scholar list, it's usually identical to the orchestra/band roster.

Other possible sources of help for you might be music directors of local churches with strong mucsic programs, and band directors of the local public schools (the ones with good music programs, not the ones with lousy ones!), and wind and brass players from your local symphony orchestra. (They probably teach at the local colleges and universities, anyway!)

I notice that you teach PE and health--if you had violinists, you could get the rest of the school square dancing for exercise, and have the violinists supply the music! :P I guess you could have the band play John Philip Sousa marches and have the rest of the school march around! Or maybe some Irish jigs...hymns at the Easter service...hey, the possibilities are endless!

Lorka, I bet you have great ideas--I'd love to see you post them!

jerseyangel Proficient

Good luck with your new class, Liz! I know you are going to be great at it :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lymetoo Contributor

OH geez!! I feel for ya!! I was in band from 7th grade through college and my husband is a professional musician. He is a band director.

Every time I see his conductor scores, my head spins!! They have got to be hard to read!!!!! [until maybe lots of practice!!]

I hear ya on the issue of keys. Too much for my Lyme-head to even think about!

Hats off to ya!!! :)

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

aww Liz that sounds like it is going to be a lot of fun. Keep us informed!!! We want to hear all the fun stories.

CarlaB Enthusiast
I don't have a clue how to teach band or how to play any other instrument. Carla - I wish you lived closer!

LOL, I just saw this! We'd have the blind leading the blind, but at least I could cover the woodwinds and you the brass!! :lol:

I got a new Irish flute that I haven't learned to play yet since I've been sick with Lyme brain ever since I got it, and it's in the key of D. I've been playing around on it and I didn't understand why it was keyed differently. As I'm learing, I'm starting to get it ... but I wish it was in the key of C as I'll have to transpose everything I play on it.

Good luck and have fun with it.

lonewolf Collaborator

Well, band just might be fun! I "let" the kids play "Mary Had a Little Lamb", "Hot Cross Buns" and "Jingle Bells" out of their book and they were thrilled. Apparently, the former band teacher hadn't let them play any songs yet, so they were excited. My nephew went home and told my SIL, "It was the best band ever - and Aunt Liz was our teacher!"

I have arranged for 8th grade "cross-age tutors" to come help during one of the two sessions per week. Everyone is happy with this. We have some very talented kids who have taken lots of private lessons. I missed the start of the new college quarter, so I can't get anyone from the university until spring, so I'm going with what I have.

Carla - an Irish flute sounds interesting. I hope you're feeling up to playing it soon. I wish EVERYTHING was written in the key of C!

Lymetoo Contributor
Well, band just might be fun! I "let" the kids play "Mary Had a Little Lamb", "Hot Cross Buns" and "Jingle Bells" out of their book and they were thrilled. Apparently, the former band teacher hadn't let them play any songs yet, so they were excited. My nephew went home and told my SIL, "It was the best band ever - and Aunt Liz was our teacher!"

It's JANUARY and the teacher wasn't letting them play little songs?? Yucko! You're going to be a big hit!! :D

Well done, Liz!! Some teachers seem to forget about the importance of the enjoyment factor for the kids, don't they!

You might still be able to get some of the University students to come; even if they don't receive official college credit for helping you, they can put it down on their resumes as teaching experience.

And members of community orchestras usually are willing to help, too.

CarlaB Enthusiast

No songs!!! :blink: What on earth were they learning????

My Irish flute is really neat (Open Original Shared Link). I play a lot of classical music and thought it would be fun to have a classical flute ... this is how flutes were made prior to the 1800's when the Boehm flute was invented. It's a whole new instrument though ....

CarlaB Enthusiast
And members of community orchestras usually are willing to help, too.

Don't forget community bands, too. They are people who play just for the fun of it ... I'm in a community band. I know many of us there would be happy to help out if we were in your town.

lonewolf Collaborator

Thanks for the suggestions, Allison and Carla. There is a community orchestra in our town - I'll give them a call.

Archived