Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ebrbetty

Looking For Tried And True Banana Bread Recipe

Hi, does anyone have a banana bread recipe they love?

no bean flours please

thank you!

Betty: My mom has the best banana bread recipe. She makes it in big batches for me and puts them in my freeezer :) I'll ask her for the recipe and see if it would be suitable for you.

Betty: My mom has the best banana bread recipe. She makes it in big batches for me and puts them in my freeezer :) I'll ask her for the recipe and see if it would be suitable for you.

We love the banana bread recipe from Carol Fenster. I use the 3T. water/3T. canola oil/2 tsp. baking powder or 1/2c. applesauce to sub for the eggs.

http://www.savorypalate.com/bannana_bread.aspx

This is the recipe we use. My girls and non-Celiac husband love it! If you want to use egg, the original recipe calls for 2. Just omit the flax meal, and Ener-G. Also, you can substitute a dairy free margarine for the Crisco. That's just what we use. Hope you enjoy!

Amy

Banana Muffins

I have a good recipe that has 2 tbsp milk. I suppose you could substitute that small amount. (Couldn't you?)

I don't know if I should post it, it's from a cookbook, so I'll pm you.

I think this has been modified enough to be called mine! It is soooo good we make it every week and often bake it in muffin tins for a really yummy breakfast treat. Here it is:

1/2c brown rice flour

1/2c white rice flour

1/2c tapioca flour

1/4c potato starch flour

2/3c sugar

2t baking powder

2t baking soda

1t xanthum gum

1/4t salt

1/3c shortening

2 tablespoons almond milk

2 eggs

1c mashed bananas (about 2 or 3 banans)

1/2c chocolate chips

mix dry ingredients together then cut in the shortening. add the liquid ingredients to the dry alternating between the almond milk/egg mix and the banana. Beat batter for several minutes on medium speed. Add choc. chips. Pour into greased loaf pan or lined muffin tins. Bake at 375F for 50-60 minutes for a loaf or for about 20 minutes for muffins. Enjoy!!

thanks to everyone, i can use milk, i buy lactaid.

happy girl, what a nice mom you have, if its not too much trouble that would be great!

thanks to everyone, i can use milk, i buy lactaid.

happy girl, what a nice mom you have, if its not too much trouble that would be great!

Hi,

just wanted to let you know that my original recipe is with lactaid and Fleischmann's unsalted margarine which is lactose free.

Amy

I use the regular betty crocker recipe, subbing apple sauce for most of the butter, almond milk for the milk, and a combination of sweet rice flour, sorgum, quinoa or amaranth, and possibly montina.

I use the regular betty crocker recipe, subbing apple sauce for most of the butter, almond milk for the milk, and a combination of sweet rice flour, sorgum, quinoa or amaranth, and possibly montina.

why didn't i think of that? need to dig out my old cookbook..i use applesause instead of butter and oil in just about everything...the flours i have are white and brown rice, potato flower and potato starch flour...will those work in some way?

why didn't i think of that? need to dig out my old cookbook..i use applesause instead of butter and oil in just about everything...the flours i have are white and brown rice, potato flower and potato starch flour...will those work in some way?

I vaguely recall that's there's one of those potato flours you might not want to use - or be careful of the ratio - but I don't use potato for baking, so I'm not particularly helpful there.

I vaguely recall that's there's one of those potato flours you might not want to use - or be careful of the ratio - but I don't use potato for baking, so I'm not particularly helpful there.

okay, thanks!

We love the banana bread recipe from Carol Fenster. I use the 3T. water/3T. canola oil/2 tsp. baking powder or 1/2c. applesauce to sub for the eggs.

http://www.savorypalate.com/bannana_bread.aspx

I made the Carol Fenster recipe this morning as is with no substitutions and it is very, very good.

BF

:rolleyes: Ebrbetty

Without realizing this thread had started I just posted a recipe I got from a friend and last night I put crushed almonds in the recipe. I can't get enough of them .

Check out

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?showtopic=29487

Enjoy

KenRitter

Hey AmyTopolski...

I just made your banana muffins last night & they came out great! I had used eggs & milk, and I placed chopped walnuts on top, delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Also, I had used my "Tom Sawyer's" gluten-free flour for the first time, so I think it's good - anyone else use it? I got a HUGE bag for xmas this year...

Thanks again!

Betty:

Sorry it took me so long to get this to you. It is adapted from my mom's "normal" banana bread recipe (everything in our house is pretty much "adapted")

Banana Bread

2 tsp vanilla

3/4 c sugar

1 1/2 mashed bananas (very ripe, 3-4 bananas)

3/4 c veg. oil

2 eggs, beaten with a fork

2 c "flour" of choice

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp xanthan gum *can vary thsi depending on results

1/2 c chopped nuts----optional

In a large bowl, mix eggs, banans, oil, vanilla, and sugar. Stir in dry ingredients. Grease mini loaf pans and fill 2/3. Makes 2-3. (Actually, its probably about 3 and one muffin).

Bake 35-40 min.

Cool in pan only a few minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely before slicing.

Note: Bananas can be mashed and mesaured into ziplock bags and frozen. Or, freeze whole in peel and thaw in microwave.

Hope you enjoy!

• Forum Discussions

About 30% of people have a gene for Celiac.  But only about 1% actually have Celiac.  So a positive gene is not diagnostic of Celiac.  But you have a wheat allergy - so you need to be almost completely gluten-free because of it.  
    I think everyone should get a DNA test.  Blood tests are not 100% reliable. Not to mention with DNA testing, you learn so many other things about your health. And DNA is the future. Lab work, though useful for many things, does not app...
    Hello! And thank you for your reply! For me, I had genetic testing done and that's how the Celiac was discovered. Given that I have an allergy to wheat, I have been very careful to not consume foods with wheat for the last fifteen years. ...