Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JerryK

Let's Talk About Depression And Celiac...

So the way I understand it, from what little research there is to be found, it works like this:

Undigested gluten peptides can "leak" thru the gut. These peptides attach to the opiate receptors of your brain which can lead to the drugged/depressed feelings.

In addition, it's likely your opiate receptors are now blocked by these undigested proteins attached and

your natural endorphins are unable to reach receptors....

Dental Enamel Defects

Gastro symptoms

Positive Dietary Response

Enterolab Antigliadin IgA positive 12/06

Transglutaminase IgA Positive

Blood TG IgA Negative 2/07

HLA-DQ 3,1 (Subtype 7,5)

Gluten Intolerant...Likely non Celiac

Western Oregon (Or-ee-gun) US

Why Worry?...YOU are a sentient being on a habitable world in a cosmos largely filled with nothing.

You

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Jerry, have you read the excellent article in Scott's blog? Here is the link http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?a...p;blogid=4&

Scroll down to the entry titled "Gluten causes brain disease!" It answers a lot of questions.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's likely safe to assume this study was not sponsored by the Wheat Farmers of America.

OMG. j

Dental Enamel Defects

Gastro symptoms

Positive Dietary Response

Enterolab Antigliadin IgA positive 12/06

Transglutaminase IgA Positive

Blood TG IgA Negative 2/07

HLA-DQ 3,1 (Subtype 7,5)

Gluten Intolerant...Likely non Celiac

Western Oregon (Or-ee-gun) US

Why Worry?...YOU are a sentient being on a habitable world in a cosmos largely filled with nothing.

You

I think that there's something to the fact that simply feeling like crap for lengthy periods of time will make you feel depressed - in the case of getting 'reglutened', I would think it would be much like a trigger - reminding you of feeling crappy for a long time, which can be *very* depressing.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

Logically speaking, I'm depressed because I've been in poor health for 10+ years, still don't feel THAT much better after being gluten-free for six months and CF for 1+ months....and I CAN'T EAT ANYTHING. My thyroid is out of whack. My adrenals are out of whack. My neurotransmitters are severely deficient. It's very frustrating. Add to that the majority of the general public thinks you're absolutely insane....seems to me that if you're NOT depressed, something might be wrong! :P

Courtney

Courtney - 25

Columbia, SC

Gluten-free since July 8, 2006

Casein-free since October 16, 2006

Went six weeks, and fell back into a deliciously painful world of cheese.

Casein-free (again and for serious this time) December 11, 2006

Stupid cheese addiction....2/07

Dx Hypothyroid in 1993

Dx Gluten & Casein Sensitive through Enterolab 10/06

Dx Adrenal *Exhaustion* 2/07

Originally from WI, I am still in denial over my newfound casein intolerance. I fear I will not be allowed back into the state if I can no longer eat cheese and drink milk. This could pose some trouble over holidays when I wish to visit my family. It also poses a problem involving the severe rage I feel when I have to throw away somebody's unfinished cheese sticks. That is so wrong.

I know that chronic physical pain causes depression, so it would not surprise me at all if constantly feeling crappy causes depression. I think it is a vicious cycle: first you are always sick, then you get depressed about it, the depression makes the sickness worse, which makes the depression worse....

Breaking the cycle is hard to do. That is where a couple of good doctors would come in.

Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25