This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Weird Thieves

amybeth

amybeth Enthusiast

It's sometimes funny to me - the bizarre things that people will take from someone else.....or what they won't take...

For example. My sister's car was broken into years ago. They took her fall jacket but left some cash she had on her dashboard there........

Also, years ago, my apartment was robbed - but all they took was my clothing....they walked by thousands in electronics and took my clothes. How strange!

The most recent - and what is completely puzzling me is this.....

Someone took the cheapy silver Toyota emblem off the front of my car. I have NO idea what use they would have for that, unless someone had stolen theirs.

Has anyone heard of this? My husband thought he remembered people stealing Audi emblems years ago to wear as jewelry....but a Toyota? I dunno that I buy into that theory.

Anyway. Just thought it was odd. I can't help but chuckle at it.

Does anyone know if you can replace those? My car is leased!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

Wacky. I thought that used to be a highschool misfit thing, but ... yeah, toyota? The dealer will have ones you can get to replace it with.

That's wacky-annoying.

plantime Contributor

The only reason I can think of is that someone might have been participating in a scavenger hunt. It is like the spring break when someone stole the $1 plastic bumblebee spinner off of my day care sign.

amybeth Enthusiast

HA! That's funny.

A scavenger hunt didn't even occur to me.

I foresee a new thread - what bizarre and weird items should be included if you are creating the most creative scavenger hunt ever..........

I competed in one once, and the weirdest item by far on the list was a Left Foot Toe Sock....you know, those socks that have toe spots - like a glove would for your fingers?

Where do people come up with this stuff? :lol:

plantime Contributor

Ha! I don't know, but if I needed a left foot toe sock, I would just go raid my daughter's sock drawer. She loves those things!

Carriefaith Enthusiast

That is weird. Probably just a bunch of kids who were bored.

Once someone stole the top of the toilet tank at the Tim Horton's I worked at years ago. That was funny. We wondered how they got out of the store without anyone noticing.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Funny you say that,

Someone took my Cape May magnet off my car. I love that it has the C then a lighthouse then a M. I got it when we went to Cape May the first year and climbed the lighthouse. Sure it only cost a few bucks but what would someone want with it.

Strangely they left my other magnet which says I love my Maine Coon in a pawprint behind.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

NicoleAJ Enthusiast

I've never really gotten why people steal silly little things at all. Unfortunately, people also steal things with sentimental value as well. When a family friend had a son missing in action in Iraq, they got a car magnet with the MIA flag and his name--someone actually stole that. Who would be sick enough to do that? It's creepy really.

amybeth Enthusiast

What's even weirder - is one day I came out of the mall to find a "support our troops" magnet ON my car that wasn't there when I went in......

I thought I had confused my car with another one in the parking lot -at first.

I guess I kind of did steal that, though, because I kept the magnet.

As a prank, my college roommate walked out of someone's house party with their skis...She returned them a couple of days later, but she wanted to see if she could walk away with them. No one stopped her.

Maybe that was the deal with the toilet tank cover!!!

I don't think you really stole the magnet, where would you have put it, on someone elses car....You would never know which car to even put it on. Strange.

jennyj Collaborator

I used to work in a facility where I was the charge person one weekend and had to go to one of the group homes to fill out an investigation report becuase overnight someone had stolen the washing machine in an enclosed building between the two homes. :blink:

It makes you wonder how no one heard or saw anything when people are lugging a washing machine, it might be dark at night but sounds are a whole lot clearer when the world is sleeping.

lonewolf Collaborator

This didn't happen to me, but it was weird. Someone stole 3 pink flamingo decorations and stuck them in my sister in law's yard. They couldn't figure out where they came from until a few days later when someone came knocking on their door, furious, and demanding to know why my SIL/BIL had stolen the flamingos from their yard. They were embarrassed and couldn't convince the people that they hadn't stolen them.

Viola 1 Rookie

Last spring someone stole two lovely lawn ornaments from someone down the valley, then they drove up to our golf course, stole the flag from number eight green and put the lawn ornaments on the green.

We never found out who ended up with our flag, or where the ornaments came from. :lol: They are still in the maintenance shed, and we had to get a new flag.

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

My sister used to work at a youth detention centre, and two of the kids there had stolen a canoe from Woolco one time. (They weren't in for that!) They just picked up the canoe and walked out of the store. I guess the philosophy being who the heck is going to steal something so big? It must belong to them.

Then at my first job after college, a guy I knew and his roommates had stolen over the course of a year a table, 6 chairs, and assorted glassware, plates, and cutlery from a bar they frequented. The owner of the bar was in there apartment once, and made no comment other than "nice furniture".

The strangest thing we had on a scavenger hunt list was on a Halloween scavenger hunt when the mermaid in our group walked very quickly and awkardly on her tail into a bingo hall and stole a used bingo card. Not that a used bingo card is unusual, but it's hard for a mermaid to escape quickly.

Jestgar Rising Star

Someone once stole my parents' outdoor Christmas lights. Not the strings - they actually unscrewed every bulb and took those.

Viola 1 Rookie
Someone once stole my parents' outdoor Christmas lights. Not the strings - they actually unscrewed every bulb and took those.

This unfortunately is all too common, in fact my Dad quit putting lights up outside because of it, which is a real shame. But they can't afford to replace all the bulbs every year two or three times. :angry:

amybeth Enthusiast

:lol::lol::lol:

Some of these are so outrageous! I cannot believe it!

I don't know if I should laugh or be outraged.

tiffjake Enthusiast
I've never really gotten why people steal silly little things at all. Unfortunately, people also steal things with sentimental value as well. When a family friend had a son missing in action in Iraq, they got a car magnet with the MIA flag and his name--someone actually stole that. Who would be sick enough to do that? It's creepy really.

This is disgusting, but it actually happens in military towns a lot. I have no idea why...

I have personally seen 3 of mine "fly" off in strange wind gusts, so I think that happens more often than theives...but I also know someone who got mad when she saw an upside down flag on someones car, so she took it. When she told me about it, I explained that the upside down flag meant the country was in distress, and she was like "oh, I thought they were dissing America" and she felt really stupid. Guess it takes all kinds....

And I had the round/oval outer plastic edge around the handle on the tailgate latch stolen last year. I had to go to the dealership to buy another one. I asked the guy why someone would steal that, and he said "because someone stole theirs," but then, why did someone steal THEIRS?? Whatever...

Rebecca47 Contributor

THEY COULD BE DRUG ADDICTS !! THEY THINK ALL KINDS OF WEIRD STUFF IS JUST GREAT. :ph34r:

AND THEY THINK THEY CAN USE IT FOR SOMETHING THEY PROBABLY DON'T KNOW THEMSELVES WHEN THEY TAKE IT. :ph34r::o

tHEY SNEAK AROUND AT NIGHT AND THINK EVERYONE IS WATCHING WEIRDOS !!!! :lol:

debmidge Rising Star

This is kind of a sad story but when my husband first came down with IBS which was really celiac disease (Jan 1977) he lost 30 lbs in 3 months and needed new pants desperately.

But since he was out of work he couldn't afford new, so he put safety pins at waist and wore his shirts outside the pants (he was also hoping he'd gain weight back as Dr. said he would). He did buy one new pair of Levi cords, washed them and hung them in basement on clothesline to dry.

At this time he was living in an apartment building on the third floor and the neighborhood was changing from stable to crime and he couldn't afford to move. During the night he heard a window breaking as if someone was breaking into the building on the first floor.

It didn't pay to call the police as this was an inner city and unless someone was getting killed the police didn't have the time for "suspicious" noises.

The next morning he went to basement to get his pants off line and they were gone!

A thief broke in the back basement door (hence the noise), left his old pants on stairs which the thief dirtied in and took the new pants off the clothesline. The windows to the basement were so dirty that there was no way the thief would have known that there was a pair of size 32 pants on that line. The "thief" by the way was a friend of the fool on the first floor and they were druggies. We knew who he was but at that point would not want the pants back from him at all.

How's that for bad luck for my husband?

Archived