Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shutterbugnv

Recently Diagnosed

I have only been diagnosed with celiac since last July. I am having a hard time with this life change. On top of that I need to lose weight since I am the heaviest I have ever been and still gaining. My problem is that I don't get sick when I have gluten. It won't hit me for awhile because I just get exhausted since it does not let my body absorb any nutrients. So, when I am feeling better I think that I can have that piece of cake and just get a little tired for awhile. Then I eat a cookie or a piece of wheat bread and after a while I am back where I started, so exhausted that I can't even get up in the morning. I know that I need to change my whole way of eating but it has been soooo hard. Is there anyone out there that has the same problem, not getting physically ill after eating anything gluten. I need help.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

There are people with little or no symptoms and the gluten-free diet can be harder for them. I know it can be tempting to eat something "illegal". I am tempted sometimes, and I'm sure most people are. But I have to remind myself of the consequences.

My advice would be to think of some of your favorite foods and start finding recipes or modifying recipes to suit the gluten-free diet. I started a thread of recipes: http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?showtopic=13319 and you may find some recipes you like there. If you really like baked goods and breads, I suggest going to a book store and buying a gluten-free cookbook that focuses on baked goods and/or breads and possibly try making some stuff! You may also want to consider investing in a breadmaker? I personally like to buy my baked goods and I almost always buy Kinnikinnick food http://www.kinnikinnick.com/

Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004

Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003

Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

I don't have time to make bread every day.
I'm not a huge fan of cooking baked goods and I also don't have the time and/or motivation every week to make bread on top of cooking meals. I don't even have a breadmaker. That is why I mainly eat Kinnikinnick bread. Sterk's bread is also quite good, but harder to find.

Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004

Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003

Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

Maybe you should see a nutritionist or dietitian to help you out with all of this. I'm guessing that you probably won't lose any weight while you are still eating gluten. The gluten-free diet is a hard task to master, but you have to be very strict, even if you don't feel sick after eating gluten. But if you are having troube doing on your own, it's not a bad idea to get some help. I hope you figure everything out.

-Brian

Celiac Sprue

Multiple Food Allergies

Diagnosed June 2006

Stopped Eating June 2007

IV Nutrition: 6/27/07 - Present