Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Franceen

Bread Making Help

I made "Bread by Anna" in my bread machine which came out ok - crust was a little too hard/brown.

So, I tried Pamela's Bread Mix today. Used medium setting for crust instead of dark. The bread was a bit undercooked and a little too soft (not quite "doughy" in the center, but still almost inedible. Can I rebake it?

How do you know what setting to use on bread machines?

Is it just experience with one particular mix?

Next I'm going to try Kinnikinick, but don't want to toss the Pamela's if I can do something to cook it more.

Thanks!

Franceen

Diagnosed DH by Allergist via gluten-free Diet Success

Gluten-free since Dec 2005

Gluten-free works so why keep getting tests?

Neg skin biopsy & Neg bloodwork after gluten-free for 3 months

No Endoscopy - need to eat gluten for good test & won't do it

No other Allergies or major ailments!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi Franceen,

I wouldn't put your bread back into the bread machine - it won't work the way you are hoping it will. You can probably still salvage the bread though, here's two options:

Cut the bread into slices, lay it on baking sheets in your oven at around 200F for an hour or so, until the cut sides feel dry to the touch. Use the slices for French toast, or (my favourite), make bread pudding.

Cut the bread into crouton-sized chunks. Toss them with a very little bit of olive oil and your favourite herbs, and put them on baking sheets in your oven, again, around 200F for an hour or so or until they smell good.

Next time you use the Pamela's bread mix, cut back on your liquids a bit and bake it a little hotter and a little longer. When using mixes in your bread machine, start with mixes that say specifically they can be used in a bread machine. . .once you have some experience, you can start playing with other mixes in your machine.