• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

laglut

Gas, Gas, Gas - Is This Celiac's?

Rate this topic

I haven't been feeling well for almost nine months now and about six months ago I caught on that it might be wheat that's causing the problem and significantly cut back on my intake.

I guess my main question is that pretty much the only symptom I have is gas - embarassingly a lot of it. To the point where I think - where could this possibly be coming from? When I cut back on wheat I noticed a significant decrease, which supports the idea that this could be celiac's, but it is still a problem for me. I don't eat any thing that is obviously wheat (breads, pastas, etc.) but I do eat out at reasturants and don't pay very much attention to sauces, etc. I guess I assumed that a little bit would be OK. However, now that I'm not eating major amounts of wheat but gas is still a problem (although better) I'm wondering if even small / trace amounts of gluten can be the culprit.

In terms of other symptoms I have had some depression and I occasionaly get GERD / acid reflux (where I feel like something is stuck in my throat and I have to burp it out, maybe once every one or two weeks). So my main question is can it be Celiac's even if the only major symptom I have is gas and if it is can even trace amounts of gluten (such as malt flavoring in rice cereal) cause this symptom? Also, once my intestines are damaged from gluten, can eating non-gluten foods cause gas because my intestines aren't working properly? How long would this last after accidentaly ingesting gluten?

Thanks for any help!

Yes. I had a lot of symptoms, but one of the most life-limiting ones for me was gas. It was horrible, and so embarassing.

I was very lucky and had a complete recovery going gluten-free. But if I even get cross contaminated, I get gas. So anything like malt flavoring would mess me up.

Nancy

This is my favorite side effect from wheat (NOT), when I went to my GI doctor he said that the average person passess gas up to 14 times a day. Maybe we should try getting in the book of records!

I do know that when I eat too much brocolli/cabbage/ or just raw veggies I get the musical orchestra too.

It was a big symptom for me. Now that I'm gluten-free and CF I rarely toot and when I do it doesn't smell like something crawled up there and died two weeks ago. :P

I've heard the "14 times a day"--I was more like 14 times in 15 minutes :ph34r: Now, gluten will cause me to have gas, but so will legumes. As long as I'm free of gluten and the other foods I'm intolerant to, I don't have a problem anymore. Thank goodness.

Welcome to the forum.

Depression and GERD are also symptoms of gluten intolerance or Celiac. You may also have other symptoms that you'll discover once you go 100% gluten free..... you ARE going to do this, yes??

You owe it to yourself to give gluten-free a fair trial - that would mean 100% gluten-free for at least several weeks, up to 3-6 months.

Disclaimer to above.... if you want an official diagnosis from the medical professionals, you'll have to get the tests done before you stop eating gluten foods.

There was a thread a while back that discussed surprising benefits of going gluten-free. People's depression/anxiety lifted, their skin cleared up, they had lots more energy, their indigestion became a thing of the past, and on and on. These were things they hadn't connected to gluten. It is absolutely astonishing the number of mild to severe ailments that are either directly caused by gluten, or are aggrevated by it.... all of which clear up when a person goes gluten-free.

when I went to my GI doctor he said that the average person passess gas up to 14 times a day.

14 times a day, I had to laugh, as I honestly did not think I even got close to 14 times a day (maybe 10 times) pre diagnosis. I was being economical with my estimates and trying to be a lady, yeah right! But yes I did have gas and it was not pleasant. I remember when my son went to Australia to live, my other son said, the loo won't smell as much, wrong, he was so wrong, I was still here doing the gluten thing.

But now that I am gluten free, I hardly have gas, and I know if there is an increase in production and smell, it is usually because I have eaten gluten.

I can laugh now, but it was not funny then.

Cathy

Some people don't get any symptoms (or very few) and still have villi damage. Everyone is different. Eating cereal with malt could cause some major gas.

Other foods can casue problems while the villi in the small intestines are healing. When the villi in the small intestine are damaged due to gluten, certain foods may pass undigested. The enzymes that break down sugars such as lactose are located in the villi, so when some are blunted, few enzymes may be present. Therefore, dairy products and starchy foods such as potatoes and corn may cause problems such as gas. These foods can usually be eaten again with no problems once the villi have healed. Some people develop allergies or intolerances to some of these foods though.

Thank you so much for the responses! What a relief to know that it is likely gluten causing this problem and to find this forum. While as I mentioned I've been avoiding wheat for months I haven't been totally comitted to being gluten free (ex: malt in cereals, salad dressing / sauces in restaurants, soy sauce, etc.) I started cutting these things out yesterday and already have been feeling better and also made an appointment with a gastroenterologist for Friday. Again, thanks for the helpful information and I look forward to being a part of this forum!

Gas is a big problem for me too. Not as much the passing of it as the retention in my system which causes a lot of pain, bloating, and uncomfortability. Two tips I have:

1) Avoid all carbonation. Sodas and such make it much worse for me.

2) Try Phazyme soft gels. I buy these things in bulk. They don't fix the problem, but they definitely help. Only get the soft gel pills though, the chewables are not gluten-free.

I started cutting these things out yesterday and already have been feeling better and also made an appointment with a gastroenterologist for Friday.
Being on a gluten-free diet may result in false negative test results. The gene test; however, can be done while on a gluten-free diet.

Hi,

I had the same problem as well. I've never been diagnosed with Celiac, but I'm definitely sensitive to wheat and gluten, so I don't eat either. Once I cut gluten out of my diet and started taking probiotics (acidolphlus), my gas issue went away--and I eat a TON of vegetable, both raw and cooked, and beans.

This side effect of eating gluten was also a big problem for me and I was constantly taken Gas-X extra strength to try to combat it. Finally, after a year of gluten-free living, I rarely experience this issue. However, I do experience a significant issue with gas when I eat garlic, as does my celiac nephew. I've been told that often celiacs are sensitive to other products - often garlic. Just something you might want to track as well ...

Also, if I accidentally ingest the smallest amount of gluten, this is one of the first tale-tell signs I've been exposed.

Same here Snoopgirl. Gas city for me and plenty of pain to go with it.