Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rook's Mommy

Is It A Red Head Thing?

My son is a red head. Since finding out about it I have meet people who have celiac and a good portion of the are red heads. So is my mother and niece who both have signs. It seems odd. Oh and the owner of the bakery I went to was a red head as well. :unsure:

Addie, wife to Dennis, mother to Gillian (4) and Rook (2)!

Gluten and Corn Free since 02/6

Soy and Peanut Free since 07/08

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Many people who have red hair are of Irish descent. Celiac also ties into Irish heritage/genes. I guess that would be about the only correlation. As far as i know :D Good observation though.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Jessica

Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!

Kansas

Hair color is determined by genes. Red hair is a recessive gene, which is why it is less common. We are not Irish or Scottish but I am the ONLY person in my family with red hair. Also the only one with celiac, diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. .

I sure hope my REAL parents are rich!

I am a red head, but of Italian/German decent no potato blood in me. However, when I went to my first Gluten Intolerance Group meeting yesterday I did notice a a few red heads in the group.

I think the first responder is correct.

Celiac has the highest rates of incidence amongst people of Celtic descent (which includes Scots, not just Irish). These populations also have high rates of red hair.

I'm not a redhead, but my mom and sister both are! (Scottish)

Geoff

Celiac - Gluten Free since Late December 2006

Positive Dietary response, biopsy, Enterolab

Lactose intolerant - dietary response test only

I remember reading that among Asians in Asia, celiac disease is virtually unheard of, but among Asians living in America, the rate of celiac disease incidence increases with each generation (as their diet becomes more and more Westernized).

I am sorry that I can't remember where I read that, so I cannot present this as peer-reviewed science! But to connect it to this thread, the Asian-Americans who have celiac certainly don't have red hair or Irish heritage!

Still--we should do a poll on how many of us here have any Celtic ancestors.

I'm a redhead and so is my son.....but the red-headed side of the family is not the Celiac side! :lol: We are all Scottish/Irish/German though....

I'm a redhead. My mother, who I am sure had celiac disease, had brown hair, but her mother had red hair (and her mother died young of stomach cancer, probably not a coincidence).

No Irish heritage here, just German.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, let me see if I can stump any of you. I am sure there is some Irish on my mom's side and yes, she is a true redhead. My sister and I both have red highlights in our hair, yet, our mom is not celiac, our father is and he was a brunette in his day, now mostly gray. My dad's family is English and German. Blows that theory huh!!!!! ;)

By the way--just wanted to add, my hair really is not as dark as in the pic here, that was Garnier Nutresse ;) , still is, but as close to my natural color as possible--chestnut!

Deb

Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

I'm a redhead and so was my grandmother on my Dad's side, which is where the celiac is dominant. We are of Irish and German heritage.

hypothyroid

hypoglycemic (diagnosed 1997 but symptomatic since grade school)

fibromyalgia

rheumatoid arthritis (diagnosed January 2005)

peanut allergy

restarting gluten-free January 20, 2013

elevated liver enzymes + symptoms indicated celiac January 31, 2013. Dr. didn't want to run further tests due to other health complications

I'm a redhead - and I'm Irish/German. :)

Obviously.... since my children have my dna, they also share in my heritage. However, none of them have red hair, much to my dismay.

Both my boys have brown hair and my daughter is a blondie. I can see, in years to come, one of my kiddos will post here and say..... "hey, yea... my mom has red hair!!"

*giggle*

Jayhawkmom -

Mom of three....

Jay - 11

Bean - 8

Ian - 3

No redheads in this family or in relatives ..... blonde and chestnut brown dominate...

No Irish blood but Slovak and Scot and German add european diversity :)

Sandy

Sandy

Type 1 diabetes - 1986

hypothyroid -1993

pernicious anemia

premature atrial beats

neuropathy

retinopathy

daughter is: age 15

central hypotonia and developmental delay

balance issues (rides an adult 3 wheel bike)

hypothyroid 1996

dermatographia - a form of angioedema 2002

celiac 2004 - by endoscopy

diagnosed Aspergers at age 7 - responded very well (HUGE difference) to gluten-free diet

recovered from Kawasaki (2003)

lactose intolerant - figured out in Oct/06

Gilberts syndrome (April/07)

allergy to stinging insects

scoliosis Jan 2008

nightshade intolerance - figured out April 2008

allergy to Sulfa antibiotics

son is 13

type 1 diabetic - 2003 diagnosed on his 9th birthday

celiac - 2004 by endoscopy

lactose intolerant - figured out Nov/06

Celiac was passed down in my family through my maternal grandpa. He was French and Irish. He used to say he was "Black Irish" because his hair was jet-black until the day he died. Vydorscope's little boy, Timber, has the most gorgeous red curls!

Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

My son is a red-head and is gluten intolerant, but not officially Celiac. When he was a baby, the pediatrician told me that red-heads have a higher incidence of food and environmental allergies and to be watchful.

Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

I am of Irish decent. My mother had ared tent to her hair....and several of her sisters have red hair. My daughter is the first known case in the family.....and she has a red tint to her hair......but after her diagnosis..many of my mom's sisters are being tested, for they all have the symptoms. My mother died at 41 of natural causes.....but in the end she suffered from bloody stools, an extreme amount of weight gain, severe anemia, horrible arthiritis, and many other things.

My little brother also has red hair...and he exhibits many of the symptoms of an intolerance.

So...maybe you are onto something!

I'm the red head in my family... that's so funny... I've always been the one with iron deficiencies, bad skin and stomach problems... ha ha ha... no one else in my family shoes any signs of celiac! My dad was too (he passed several years ago) but he was always skinny as a rail - makes me wonder....

Tanya

Canadian eh and new to all of this!

DH Diagnosed December 20, 2006

Waiting on Gatro appt. until April!

I have strawberry blonde hair and so do both my boys - all three of us are gluten sensitive. My husband has brown hair but is Irish and is also GS. My mother has red hair and her father is directly from Ireland. My dad's side of the family (where I got my specific hair color) is Scottish/Welsh...so genetically-speaking I'm pretty much surrounded, I think ! :lol:

Interesting topic and intriguing.

My Uncle and his daughter are red-headed. I have always had red highlights and of Austrian decent.

Red hair and odd body shape.......could this be an alien connection. :unsure:

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Well, funny thing-- my son and husband are both celiacs. Celiac comes from my husband's side of the family. There are a few others including his grandfather that have celiac disease. They are all 100% Italian. There is nothing else mixed in there.

Very old thread, but here's an interesting article about this! http://blessedwithred.blogspot.ae/2009/12/redheads-inflammation-and-celiac.html

Canadian undergraduate student in 3rd year, studying Psychology and Speech Communication. Hoping to go into rehabilitation sciences!  B)

Dx with: 

Hashimoto's thyroiditis - 22/09/12

benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (bppv) - 18/05/13

irritable bowel syndrome - 21/06/13 

HLA-DQ8 gene ~ heterozygous (moderate risk for celiac) - 29/11/13

-> underwent a colonoscopy on 24/08/13, showed mild focal colitis + lymphoid hyperplasia (aka inflammation) in terminal ileum