This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Vans Wheat Free/gluten Free Gourmet Waffles

trents

trents Grand Master

Anybody tried Vans Wheat Free/Gluten free Gourmet waffles? Everytime I eat them I get a gut ache and indigestion. Anyone else experience this with this product? I wonder what it cold be. I don't see anything in the ingredient list that causes me concern.

Steve

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Oh yes--I got a reaction from them! I don't know if it was that the company also makes products with wheat, or if it was the soy flour (I'm intolerant to soy).

Either way, I stay away from them.

DingoGirl Enthusiast

I have tried them, I didn't have any reaction, but to me, they were inedible, crumbly cardboard. I threw them away. Do you have a Trader Joe's? their gluten-free waffles are really yummy, and quite a bit cheaper, just don't over-toast them.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I had them and didn't react, but I didn't think they were all that great so I have not bought them since. I bought a different brand since and they are better. I am going to have to go to Trader Joes and pick up the above mentioned waffles. I am not a big breakfast person but I do get a craving every now and again.

2kids4me Contributor

Kids eat them now and again and dont have problem - other than taste! They prefer it when I use the kinnickinnick mix -I make waffles ina big batch, then freeze them and they toast them up when they have a craving.

sandy

Kassie Apprentice

i had their waffles and had no problem. they also make waffles that arent gluten free so you gotta make sure u didnt buy that kind.

burdee Enthusiast

My husband LOVES the gluten free varieties of Van's Waffles (not ALL their varieties are gluten-free), because they're reasonable priced, gluten-free and tasty. I can't eat any of those because I have a diagnosed soy allergy and know I will react painfully to even one bite.

BURDEE

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

zansu Rookie

I have never had a gluten reaction to Van's but I agree that the Trader Joe's are MUCH better in texture and taste (and they don't have freezer burn like Van's always do).

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

YES! I eat them every morning. I do not react with them. I LOVE them. I use them like bread. I make pb & J waffle every morning. (well, half, I can only eat one waffle, I find them very filling).

They are a little dry. I usually under toast just a touch and get them as soon as they're done.

It is possible it's a CC issue. I haven't seemed to have reactions with products that process others. Don't know if I've just been lucky to get clean batches.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular
YES! I eat them every morning. I do not react with them. I LOVE them. I use them like bread. I make pb & J waffle every morning. (well, half, I can only eat one waffle, I find them very filling).

I have them and am fine as long as I eat only one (drowned in butter and syrup). My gluten-eating kids DO have tummyaches if they eat more than one (as do I). I think that for us, the problem is that the flours in the gluten-free substitutes are so very heavy. I can't eat a whole lot without feeling like I've swallowed a brick--but I can put away huge amounts of salad and fruit with no tummy problems whatsover! That probably tells us something about what is healthy for us to eat lots of and what isn't! ;)

FeedIndy Contributor

My youngest DD actually spit these out-she'd never done that with anything in her life! The older two will actually eat them as long as they are well covered in syrup, but then again I'm sure they actually would eat syrup-covered cardboard.

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

Gosh, I feel so alone here. I really like Van's Waffles! Matter of fact, I just bought some Van's gluten-free Buckwheat Waffles this evening, and can't wait to try them.

Perhaps it's because I've never tried Trader Joes.... we don't have one. But, I really like Van's.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular
Gosh, I feel so alone here. I really like Van's Waffles!

Nah, you're not alone--kbabe, you , me, and my three gluten-eating kids all enjoy them! But maybe we're all weird or something.

Let me know how you like the buckwheat ones, okay?

LL04 Newbie
Gosh, I feel so alone here. I really like Van's Waffles! Matter of fact, I just bought some Van's gluten-free Buckwheat Waffles this evening, and can't wait to try them.

Perhaps it's because I've never tried Trader Joes.... we don't have one. But, I really like Van's.

Nah, you're not alone--kbabe, you , me, and my three gluten-eating kids all enjoy them! But maybe we're all weird or something.

Let me know how you like the buckwheat ones, okay?

Okay, well neither one of you are alone because I LOVE THEM and I usually buy the buckwheat ones as they are my definite favorite!! My husband and kids just went gluten-free recently so they haven't tried them yet, which they probably won't be doing anytime soon anyways because we're going off all processed food completely. Soooo...I've got one box left and I'll be crying when I eat the last one I'm sure...sniff, sniff...I'm going to miss them. Have an extra one or two for me!

2wheels4eyes Explorer

I'm also a fan of Vans... taste as good or better than TJoe's and others that cost more (I don't know why, but Vans gluten-free waffles always on sale at either Whole Foods, the local co-op, etc.)

The trick though to making them tasty: you **must** DEFROST them before toasting, and then toast on the lowest setting your toaster goes. (I also use a toaster oven, not a vertical toaster, don't know if that matters.) You'll get a lightly crunchy outside and a steamy soft inside, i.e., a waffle and not cardboard.

My better half snuck some of my Vans one morning but tried to make them like a regular waffle and thought they were completely disgusting--threw them out, something I've never seen my carb hound do. So the next morning I cooked them properly and she liked them.

The other thing I like about Van's is the high fiber content. (The reg., not flax ones, but flax good for you too...)

debmidge Rising Star

We were never fans of non gluten-free frozen waffles - felt that they too were cardboardy.

The Van's waffles are good, never got any that were freezer burned and they are priced better at the Whole Foods than at my regular A&P Supermarket.

Our Trader Joe's is very, very small and the one time I went there I do not recall them having a large inventory of gluten-free products; just a lot of wines. I'll have to stop by Trader's again to double check and do a taste comparison. If they don't have waffles I'll just have to buy wine. ;)

prinsessa Contributor

The Van's are ok with tons of butter and syrup, but like someone else said cardboard would taste good with lots of syrup. I like the Trader Joe's waffles much better and they are much cheaper. I eat them with jelly or peanut butter on them. I try not to buy waffles too often because I don't think they are that good for you (especially if you have to put tons of syrup on them).

jkmunchkin Rising Star

I've had the blueberry ones before, and I don't remember having a reaction but I didn't like them that much. Maybe I'll try the Trader Joe's ones.

zansu Rookie
We were never fans of non gluten-free frozen waffles - felt that they too were cardboardy.

The Van's waffles are good, never got any that were freezer burned and they are priced better at the Whole Foods than at my regular A&P Supermarket.

Our Trader Joe's is very, very small and the one time I went there I do not recall them having a large inventory of gluten-free products; just a lot of wines. I'll have to stop by Trader's again to double check and do a taste comparison. If they don't have waffles I'll just have to buy wine. ;)

PA doesn't let TJoes sell alcohol, so they have plenty of room for gluten-free waffles! :lol:

They really don't have a large gluten-free section. They have a bunch of stuff that is gluten-free (ask at the front for the list), stuff that shouldn't have gluten anyway, but everyone else processes it in, but they don't.... Picatta simmer sauce, some of the frozen dinners, etc. I cannot, however recommend their gluten-free bagels, except perhaps as anchors. :o

Deanne Rookie

I saw them at a local Wild Oats (Pricey) and fell for the "Gluten Free" Labeling. But after we had them and my daughter complained about them then I looked closer on the back and sure enough they had a small disclaimer that there could be like small traces of gluten or something to that affect. I felt a bit dupped.

Don't say gluten free if they aren't. So I wrote to them and this was their response. I do not buy them anymore suffice to say.

Thank you for taking the time to write us at Van's. To clarify our allergen

statement: We make all our waffle varieties, those with and without

allergens, on the same irons, in the same facilities. However we have

thorough sanitation procedures in place before and after making the Wheat

Free Waffles (in fact throwing out the first batch), including making them

on their own day, and randomly testing all allergen-free waffles for

allergens, plus we strictly monitor all our processes to keep allergens out

of allergen-free waffles. Another reason for the allergen statement is that

the suppliers of a few of our dry mixes also make mixes in their facilities

with wheat and other allergic ingredients. However we trust them, and their

manufacturing processes and checks, to prevent cross-contamination in their

mixes. We also require they submit certificates of wheat-free status on each

shipment of their dry, wheat-free mixes.

I'd like to assure you that we take every possible precaution to prevent

cross contamination. Our Kosher and Organic certifications also attest to

our stringent manufacturing and sanitation processes.

I hope you find this information helpful. Thank you, again, for writing us

at Van's.

Sincerely,

Kim W.

Customer Support

Van's International Foods and Veat, Inc.

For now I make my own pancakes and waffles from the Arrowhead Mills gluten-free all purpose flour mix and it is quick and easy. I use silk soy milk for milk sub and Follow Your Heart Grapeseed Mayo as egg sub and they are really good and I can make waffles with the same mix.

You could make them up ahead of time I guess and freeze them.

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

zanzu! I know WAHHHH!!! Our TJ's in Phx used to sell wines and alchohol! I loved shopping there!

We're going to hit TJ's next week (i have a friend who has a daughter with severe milk and dairy allergy - so we're going to go together). I'm going to look for their waffles now. I LOVE the Van's ones and have no problems with them (Apple Cinnamon are my faves, actually). BUT, if TJ's are even better? I can't wait. My two closest ones are 25-30 mins away, each of them. And I'm smack dab in the middle...so it's kind of funny!

TJ's has a gluten free list online too - so you could download it now and decide what you want before you get there! I like that a lot too. Granted, they may not have it IN the store, but....

:)

dionnek Enthusiast

I too love Van's - I put them in the toaster oven at 350 for about 3-4 min. (flip after 1-2 min.) and they aren't like cardboard. I tried Trader Joe's but didn't like them - not much flavor.

mookie03 Contributor

I think the Van's waffles are great- and i have never gotten sick from them...I just put a drop of syrup on them or some peanut butter and a little honey... I really like the blueberry flavor. As someone else mentioned, the fiber content is really high, which i always look for in a breakfast food (thats why i havent bought the TJ's version). I make them in my toaster oven and they always come out great - but i do recall having some issues when i used to use a traditional toaster. Plus they are really cheap at the stores near me!

Slackermommy Rookie

I love the Van's Waffles...esp the blueberry and apple ones..

Since I am the only one gluten free, I didn't buy myself a toaster, I defrost mine and pan fry them with butter...yum!!!! I have never had them from a toaster, but I have to say this way so good!!

bpritt Newbie

I've had the Van's waffles without getting glutened too, although I prefer the Lifestream buckwheat waffles.

Archived