This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Superbowl Party Food?

prinsessa

prinsessa Contributor

I'm not a football fan, but DH and his family like it. So since the Bears are going to the Superbowl (and we live in Chicago), we are having a Superbowl party for the first time. Is anyone else having a Superbowl party and what are you serving? I was thinking of making chicken wings and nachos, but I don't know what else. DD's birthday party is the day before, so we will also have left-over chicken tostadas.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Yup...This is our annual event. We usually have about 20 people over. The guys watch the game the girls watch the commercials.

This year:

Pork Tenderloin with Paul Prudhomme's dry rub. (on the grill)

B&B Baked Beans -doctored up

Large Salad

Gluten cornbread for the others. (someone else makes)

Easy

My daughters birthday also.

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

I don't think we're having one this year, but if we were I would serve:

Chicken Enchilladas (corn tortillas, not flour)

Tortilla Soup

Chips/Salsa

Mexican Salad (shredded romaine, tomatoes, corn and red onions in a balsamic vinegar dressing)

Dessert would be some sort of brownies or cookies or Apple cobbler Or all 3.

These are things I'd make BEFORE going gluten free, and although I'd need to adjust the ingredients to verify source is gluten free, they can all be made that way.

They're also easy to make ahead of time so that you don't have to avoid watching the game!

Personally, I'd be watching the game.

lonewolf Collaborator

We like finger foods!

Tiny meatballs cooked in barbecue sauce, served with toothpicks

Chips and salsa

Turkey bacon/water chestnut "wraps"

"Chex" mix

Veggie tray

Fruit plate

Chocolate chip cookies

BostonCeliac Apprentice

I have the best recipe EVER for 7-layer dip. Just beware though, people will want you to make this every time they see you! I have two friends that request it every year for their birthday!

Layers:

1. Can(s) of refried beans along base of pan

2. 3-4 ripe avocados mashed up with lemon juice, salt & pepper OR some pre-made guacomole

3. Mix 2 cups sour cream with 1 cup mayo and a taco packet in separate bowl, spread over avocado layer

4. Chopped Scallions

5. Chopped Black Olives

6. Chopped Tomatoes

7. 1 packet shredded cheese - i usually use the mexican mix or monteray jack

Serve as is (cold or room temp, do not put in oven) with corn tortilla chips!

YUM.

I usually guesstimate the amounts listed above depending on how big my pan is. If I do a smaller amount than what I listed above - I'll cut the sour cream/mayo/taco packet in half and only use half the seasonings - depends on how much spice you want in it!

This is a guaranteed hit! Let me know if you have any questions..

AmyTopolski Apprentice

We are orginally from Chicago but now in Wisconsin. So glad about the bears going this year! So, ofcourse we will have aparty. Even if it is just the four of us. We like little smokies wrapped in pizza dough, potato skins, hot wings, homemade chips and anything else I can think of. If you want any tips on these just ask!

Amy

BostonCeliac Apprentice
We like finger foods!

Tiny meatballs cooked in barbecue sauce, served with toothpicks

Liz - I see you mentioned BBQ sauce - have you been able to find a good gluten free brand? I got one at whole foods this past weekened and it was OK, but not great...

THANKS, Allie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor
Liz - I see you mentioned BBQ sauce - have you been able to find a good gluten free brand? I got one at whole foods this past weekened and it was OK, but not great...

THANKS, Allie

I'm not Liz,

But Sweet Baby Ray's is the best that I have had and, of course gluten free.

Lisa

BostonCeliac Apprentice
But Sweet Baby Ray's is the best that I have had and, of course gluten free.

Lisa

Thanks lisa! Now I just have to find it - or order online...

Lisa Mentor
Thanks lisa! Now I just have to find it - or order online...

It can be found in most any general groceries.

StrongerToday Enthusiast

That's the one I buy, I think it's Honey BBQ flavor. Good stuff!

angel-jd1 Community Regular

Rotel Cheese Dip and Mission Chips

Little Smokies and bbq sauce in the crock pot

Mexican Layer Dip (like the 7 layer already posted but I put a packet of taco seasoning in with the beans and mix)

Meatballs

Mac n cheese

OH goodness....need to go post these on the cravings thread I do believe haha

-Jessica :rolleyes:

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

So do you just put the little smokies in the sauce and warm them that way?

Has anyone ever soaked their meatballs in chili sauce & grape jelly mixture? A friend of mine gave me that recipe many years ago - it's really good. I'd love to make them, but I can't seem to find a chili sauce that would be safe...or is the Heinz one okay? ( they mailed me a list, and it wasn't on it, so I'm assuming it is NOT safe). They are sooooooo goood.....

angel-jd1 Community Regular
So do you just put the little smokies in the sauce and warm them that way?

Has anyone ever soaked their meatballs in chili sauce & grape jelly mixture? A friend of mine gave me that recipe many years ago - it's really good. I'd love to make them, but I can't seem to find a chili sauce that would be safe...or is the Heinz one okay? ( they mailed me a list, and it wasn't on it, so I'm assuming it is NOT safe). They are sooooooo goood.....

Yep dump the smokies (drain the liquid off, sometimes there is some in the package) and the bbq sauce into the crock pot and warm. Sooo yummy!

I can't give you an answer for a gluten-free chili sauce. However, I can say that if it isn't on heinz gluten-free list then it isn't gluten-free. They are great about putting their list together.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

tarnalberry Community Regular

hadn't planned on doing one, but what I would serve/have served in the past:

grilled baby back pork ribs

chips w/ salsa and guacamole

veggies w/ black bean dip and hummus

bean salad

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

I'm going to check that list again. I did just skim it and it was something I was looking for, but I did not study it like I should!

prinsessa Contributor

Mmmmmm...everything sounds so yummy. Now Dh is saying he isn't totally sure about having a party (we don't have a HUGE tv), but I want to have one just for the food. I'm going to try to make that 7-layer dip. It sounds really good. I am making refried beans for DD birthday party. I could use the leftovers for the dip. If I don't make it for Superbowl sunday, I will make it another day. Thanks everyone for the great ideas!

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

For the little meatballs in jelly sauce, I use ground beef, with garlic powder and onion powder and a bit of italian seasonings, in tomato sauce from a can, not doctored up, you need plain and cranberry sauce, either the whole berry or the jelly. The cranberry sauce melts right in and makes a tangy sauce for the meatballs. I just roll the meat up into tiny balls place them in the sauce and let them cook away!

tarnalberry Community Regular

so is the superbowl *this* sunday? I'll be recovering from a day of skiing by doing trail maintenance. ;)

dionnek Enthusiast

I made the 7 layer dip for lunch yesterday for myself and ate half of it myself! (I'm pregnant, so that's my excuse!). Very good and so simple.

• 2 weeks later...
BostonCeliac Apprentice
I made the 7 layer dip for lunch yesterday for myself and ate half of it myself! (I'm pregnant, so that's my excuse!). Very good and so simple.

I'm so glad you liked it! I usually eat half of it & I'm not even pregnant!

I actually decided to make it this morning to bring to the superbowl party I'm going to. I brought it last year, but it was gone in about 20 minutes, so I'm sure people won't be disappointed!

Prinsessa -- Hope everyone likes it!!

Archived