This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Has Anyone Else Had Intense Stinging Pain This Long?

gypsy

gypsy Newbie

I've been gluten free for 4 years. I travel constantly so I take some risks by eating out. I try to explain my needs to the restaurant employees and pick the safest foods, but I occasionally get glutened anyway. I think this may have happened to my about 2 weeks ago. In the past when this has happened I had abdominal pain that was always more intense in the early morning (right when I wake up) and right after eating a meal. This type of pain would occur on and off for about 1-3 weeks then go away. In the last 2 weeks I've had a gradual buildup of intense pain and bloating. I am in so much pain that I cannot sleep lying down at all. I have been trying to sleep sitting up in an easy chair for the last few nights (not a great way to get any sleep). Two days ago I was in so much stinging abdominal pain that I could not eat or drink and I threw up several times. I did not have any diarrhea. I felt like I had a slight fever with a headache later that night. My abdominal pain is not as severe and I'm able to eat a little bit now, but I can tell I still have a great deal of inflammation and bloating reminiscent of when I had a hiatal hernia plus untreated celiac disease 7 years ago. I had surgery for the hiatal hernia but I know it has come somewhat "undone" in the last couple of years, based on an endoscopy 2 years ago.

Here is my question - Has anyone else experienced this as part of a gluten attack? I don't know if I'm having a complete relapse and inflammation from:

a) my hiatal hernia B) a gluten attack c) the recent stomach virus that others have been getting or d) some combination of all the above.

The earliest that I can get an appointment with a gastroenterologist is on Feb. 8th. Can someone give me some hope that this will resolve on its own?

Gypsy

• 2 weeks later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

michelle marriott Newbie

:rolleyes:

I've been gluten free for 4 years. I travel constantly so I take some risks by eating out. I try to explain my needs to the restaurant employees and pick the safest foods, but I occasionally get glutened anyway. I think this may have happened to my about 2 weeks ago. In the past when this has happened I had abdominal pain that was always more intense in the early morning (right when I wake up) and right after eating a meal. This type of pain would occur on and off for about 1-3 weeks then go away. In the last 2 weeks I've had a gradual buildup of intense pain and bloating. I am in so much pain that I cannot sleep lying down at all. I have been trying to sleep sitting up in an easy chair for the last few nights (not a great way to get any sleep). Two days ago I was in so much stinging abdominal pain that I could not eat or drink and I threw up several times. I did not have any diarrhea. I felt like I had a slight fever with a headache later that night. My abdominal pain is not as severe and I'm able to eat a little bit now, but I can tell I still have a great deal of inflammation and bloating reminiscent of when I had a hiatal hernia plus untreated celiac disease 7 years ago. I had surgery for the hiatal hernia but I know it has come somewhat "undone" in the last couple of years, based on an endoscopy 2 years ago.

Here is my question - Has anyone else experienced this as part of a gluten attack? I don't know if I'm having a complete relapse and inflammation from:

a) my hiatal hernia B) a gluten attack c) the recent stomach virus that others have been getting or d) some combination of all the above.

The earliest that I can get an appointment with a gastroenterologist is on Feb. 8th. Can someone give me some hope that this will resolve on its own?

Gypsy

michelle marriott Newbie
:rolleyes:

hi, yes i have had pains for days ( that bad you can not move ) ,, i now have stop all dairy its been three weeks, and i have had no pains its great, but a pain to eat nice thinks, gluten free is bad enough, but to stop both its hard.. good luck..

gypsy Newbie
hi, yes i have had pains for days ( that bad you can not move ) ,, i now have stop all dairy its been three weeks, and i have had no pains its great, but a pain to eat nice thinks, gluten free is bad enough, but to stop both its hard.. good luck..

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for your words of encouragement. I have had to avoid dairy, eggs, and soy for the last 4 years (when I was diagnosed with the gluten sensitivity). I appreciate how hard it is for you to also have to give up dairy. That was tougher for me to do than to give up gluten.

Since I posted my message from the other day, I've had a UGI and it showed I may have an ulcer as well as some reflux problems. I'm scheduled for an endoscopy next week, so hopefully, I'll find out what is going on with me. I've had gluten pain that has lasted for up to 3 weeks at a time, but this seems to be different.

Thanks and hang in there!

Gypsy

SchnauzerMom Rookie

I hope you feel better soon. I get stomach pain when I get glutened and it lasts quite a while. I have also found out that I'm lactose intolerant so that can add to the problem.

Archived