This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

My Gluten Free Weight Loss Story- 80 Lbs Down

Guest AutumnE

Guest AutumnE

I started this diet a few weeks before I became a member here. I first went just gluten free and weight loss was slow. As intolerances developed I went on a diet of just meat, fruits, and veggies except potatoes, corn , and grains. I also avoided dairy. Also I only drank water which I think was a huge part of it.

I have lost 80 lbs and feel so much better, Im not at my goal yet but Im getting there :) I havent felt hungry either and never counted calories. It amazed me it worked this well. If I can do it, anyone can. My weight gain started coming in 1998. Before then I was underweight. I tried so many different diets (all with gluten of course) and nothing worked.

For anyone struggling with weight problems, Try avoiding processed foods. Its been my saving grace. It wasnt easy at first but after the cravings went away, especially my caffiene addiction, it was easy.

Autumn

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Autumn

I'm so happy you shared your story.

i for one find it so encouraging.

I lost 50 #'s when i first started and then the added intollerances crept in..

gave up dairy FINALLY LAST Wednesday so pray it helps.

I've fought the dairy. just hated to give up cheese and ice cream.

they were my main treats. gluten-free of course.

then started baking some cookies banana breads etc and haven't been on the scales in a month so don't know what my weight is but clothes are still big on me and taking them in.

I think your plan is basic and should really work.

thanks judy in philly

mn farm gal Apprentice

Congrats to you! That is awsome to lose like that. I have gained some weight since starting the diet but I am not a big fruit and veggie fan and have turned to the wrong foods and now I am trying to eat mostly fruits, veggies and meats to lose the weight I have gained. I hope it works for me too.

Guest AutumnE

Judy- I had the same problem! As soon as other intolerances started my weight stalled and for a couple of weeks it started to go up, it made me nervous. But after I eliminated them it has been easy. I struggled so bad with giving up soda. I was having migraines and couldnt sleep for weeks due to it. I switched to a very occasional virgil's root beer which gives me a pop when at functions everyone else is enjoying one and yet no caffiene or funky ingredients to make me sick. Good luck with your weight loss also and congrats on the weight you have lost.

mnfarmgal- I bet it will work for you too as long as intolerances dont start up. I found I dont even want to snack. Food does get boring sometimes. I try to use olive oil and mccormick seasonings to give it a little flavor. It does make you eat only for hunger since its hard to crave foods that are so healthy.

jukie Rookie

Hi, Autumn! Thanks for sharing your story...it's so inspiring to hear from others who've struggled with weight and found success after going gluten free.

Weight has been a lifelong struggle for me...usually trying to keep it off, though occasionally underweight as well. But it wasn't until my DS was born five years ago that the weight gain became uncontrollable...and NOTHING helped. I wasn't even eating that much....SERIOUSLY! And exercise made no difference even though I loved going to the gym.

Anyway, after eliminating gluten/casein/egg/soy almost 5 months ago, my constant hunger and lifelong cravings have completely disappeared. And though I still have a long way to go, I've already lost 60 pounds without even trying...WOOHOO!!! Weight loss was not my primary goal when going gluten free, but it's definitely a welcome bonus.

Thanks again Autumn and Judy for sharing your stories. It's important to let others know that being overweight and gluten intolerant are not mutually exclusive...despite what the doctors may tell you <_<

AndreaB Contributor

Great news on the successful weight loss Autumn and the others that have posted! :)

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

Congrats!!! =)

I'm also one who was having weight issues prior to going gluten-free.

Since going 100% gluten-free and sticking with it (Nov 15th) - I've lost 40 lbs!!!

I gained 70 lbs with my last pregnancy, the one that did me in. And, I'm finally getting rid of the baby weight, and he's 16 months old now! LOL!! I have another 30 to go..... but in the words of the late, great, James Brown... I feel good!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest AutumnE

Thanks so much and congratulations to all the other losers out there :) I finally feel like Im me again and on my road to health. I felt like I was close to 80 and Im only 34.

Im so happy that others have found the same joy with the gluten-free diet I have.

rtilil Rookie

hi, everyone,

thanks so much for sharing your stories. i was just diagnosed, i'm 58, and i realize that i've probably had celiac since 6th grade... anyway, i am really trying to lose weight, about 30 pounds, and have begun to count calories. i'm on the overeater's anonymous gray sheet diet which is high protein, low carb. and i'm feeling much better, although the weight is not moving all that fast. i did , however, lose inches, probably because i'm not bloated any more. also, sometimes i wake up with a swollen face, (that used to be an everyday occurrence), and i can't seem to trace it to anything that i've eaten. any advice.... and there's one more thing. i'm a little worried about the fact that i eat the same foods all the time and i'm afraid of developing an intolerance to them. i'm allergic to all dairy including goat's, peanuts, sugar, wheat (of course), and all food additives. i'll be grateful for any advice.

thanks,

reva.

sandys Newbie

:rolleyes:

hi, everyone,

thanks so much for sharing your stories. i was just diagnosed, i'm 58, and i realize that i've probably had celiac since 6th grade... anyway, i am really trying to lose weight, about 30 pounds, and have begun to count calories. i'm on the overeater's anonymous gray sheet diet which is high protein, low carb. and i'm feeling much better, although the weight is not moving all that fast. i did , however, lose inches, probably because i'm not bloated any more. also, sometimes i wake up with a swollen face, (that used to be an everyday occurrence), and i can't seem to trace it to anything that i've eaten. any advice.... and there's one more thing. i'm a little worried about the fact that i eat the same foods all the time and i'm afraid of developing an intolerance to them. i'm allergic to all dairy including goat's, peanuts, sugar, wheat (of course), and all food additives. i'll be grateful for any advice.

thanks,

reva.

Rusla Enthusiast

Well, I had originally lost 40 lbs but because of extreme stress in the last six months I have gained it all back. I have been eating tons of chocolate and coke, which I really need to stop doing.

Contrats AutumnE.

Guest pugsysmom

I, too have lost a lot of weight. Seventy-three pounds so far. I drink water and eat no starches. Prior to Celiac dx, I weighed 188 and now down to 115 at 5'6".

Kaycee Collaborator
I, too have lost a lot of weight. Seventy-three pounds so far. I drink water and eat no starches. Prior to Celiac dx, I weighed 188 and now down to 115 at 5'6".

I wish I could say this was my story with weight loss. But no, I am the one who has more or less stayed the same.

I don't eat much in the way of processed food, and I still eat a bit of bread, cakes and potatoes, but much less than I did before. I have already cut out breakfast cereal. I know that if I start eating the way suggested in this thread, the weight will drop off, but I am just a bit reluctant as it completely goes against all the food education that I have had.

Maybe I should just take the bull by the horns and take the plunge and do it, so that I can post in this thread that I have lost the 20kilos (42 pounds?) I need to loose. But I am dreading not eating potatoes with my evening meal. But maybe I have just been inspired to do this. I think I have a couple of hurdles to jump before I can come to terms with this and all its implications.

Cathy

Creative-Soul Newbie

Congratulations, AutumnE (and everyone else)!

I myself haven't lost as much weight as you have, but I am petite and 10 extra pounds looks like 20! I've lost 20lbs so far, and I am almost completely off of all processed foods. I am allergic to sugar, and the surprising thing that I found was that when I stopped eating sugar and began cutting out processed food, that I no longer craved sweet stuff AND I no longer craved salty foods or things like potato chips by the bag (which I found out that I'm allergic to as well)! I also have cut way down on eating grains.

Guest AutumnE

Reva- Im not sure what it might be, Have you tried an elimination diet?

Rusla- i know all too well the power of chocolate and caffiene :) I hope life eases up on you so you can get focused again on yourself.

Pugsysmom- Congrats, thats a wonderful weight loss!

Cathy- weight loss is very hard for me when I eat potatoes but Im intolerant to nightshades and have allergies with them.

Creative soul- Congrats also, I was the same way its amazing how the processed stuff packs on the pounds regardless of the calories you eat sometimes.

Mayflowers Contributor
I wish I could say this was my story with weight loss. But no, I am the one who has more or less stayed the same.

I don't eat much in the way of processed food, and I still eat a bit of bread, cakes and potatoes, but much less than I did before. I have already cut out breakfast cereal. I know that if I start eating the way suggested in this thread, the weight will drop off, but I am just a bit reluctant as it completely goes against all the food education that I have had.

Maybe I should just take the bull by the horns and take the plunge and do it, so that I can post in this thread that I have lost the 20kilos (42 pounds?) I need to loose. But I am dreading not eating potatoes with my evening meal. But maybe I have just been inspired to do this. I think I have a couple of hurdles to jump before I can come to terms with this and all its implications.

Cathy

If you follow the Carbohydrate Addict's Diet, you can have your potatoes at dinner time and not have to give them up and still be on a low carb diet.

• 2 weeks later...
georgie Enthusiast

I have been gluten-free for 7 months and haven't lost a bit of weight. Now my Dr wants me to try the Dairy Challenge. Can anyone give me words of encouragement re weight loss after starting Dairy Free ?

Cory727 Newbie

Has anyone lost weight by being on the gluten free diet alone or is it neccessary to cut carbs other places as well. I was just diagnosed and I am just learning the diet. I feel smaller but I assume that is due to the lack of bloating. Im not overweight really but I have a wedding comming up in a few months and I suppose I am hoping the lack of sweets and things will make a little difference. I would love to lose 10 pounds. Anyone think thats possible?

jenvan Collaborator

Thanks for sharing the story! Its an encouragement to many!

Guest AutumnE

georgie- Im sorry your having a hard time losing weight. Im dairy, gluten,soy and grain free currently and weight is coming off. It might be what you need to help you lose weight. Are you eating things with corn syrup? Are you drinking plenty of water?

Cory- I did initially do that and the weight did come off but other problems with foods started to arise and I needed to be more strict. I would cut back on grains, you may not need to cut them totally. And lay off things with corn syrup since it slows down your metabolism. Are you drinking plenty of water? That has helped me too.

If either of you wants to come over on my weight loss suppourt thread we have some lnice ladies over there who are very knowledgable about dieting, feel free to join us :)

Jenvan Thanks :)

Mayflowers Contributor

I need to lose 30 pounds...I knew a guy who stopped eating wheat and lost 25 pounds so I figured it would happen to me...yeah right. I stopped eating wheat and my weight shot up so fast it made me dizzy! Those gluten free "replacments" for wheat are so fattening! I guess when you take away the malabsorption problem you absorb calories a lot easier. I've lost 9 pounds since August. That's pretty slow. I'm fighting tooth and nail too.

• 5 years later...
ReallyMe Newbie

I've been working out wnweightsn3!dfays a week and cardio 2 for 5 months. Was officially dx w celiac a month ago so have been more strict andd consistent w my gluten avoidance. Haven't lost a single pound in 5 months until just last week, finally down 4.

Ant suggestions would be helpful.

• 2 weeks later...
RuskitD Rookie

Autumn, congratulations on your loss!!!! Your story is the type I read here, that gave me hope initially about losing my weight. I had hoped when the inflammation was gone, I would melt it away. Sadly, that isn't happening for me.

I am doing exactly as you, but without the success.

I didn't run to processed gluten free foods. I ate little processed food before going gluten-free, and maybe that is why I didn't see the magic melt like others have. I already had a pretty clean diet. Now my diet is super clean, yet my weight stays.

I developed sensitivities after stopping gluten, and have done elimination diets. Perhaps I have missed something still. It seems my choice of foods is very limited. I have not gone to full organic foods, and maybe that is my problem...?....

I am thankful for all the ways my health has improved! When I have insurance I will ask dr for full thyroid testing, and see if that is my problem. I know I am still healing and my body is still trying to adjust to those changes.

I won't give up the 'fight' to have the best health I can have.

Thank you for giving another glimmer of hope.

Archived