This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Can Someone Clear This Up For Me?

emcmaster

emcmaster Collaborator

It's CeliaC disease, not Celiac'S, right? In my experience, the "'s" is only used if the disease is named after someone. From the research I've done, it's not named after someone, although I could have missed something.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

It's Celiac Disease. :)

Ursa Major Collaborator
It's Celiac Disease. :)

Right you are.

emcmaster Collaborator

Thanks for the confirmation. Now I just have to try to get over getting frustrated anytime I see/hear someone call it "celiac's". Bleh.

zansu Rookie

unless you use the Queen's english, then it's "Coeliac", but they have to have extra letters in everything.... :rolleyes:

happygirl Collaborator

I completely agree with you. Even on Arrowhead Mills website, it calls it "Celiacs Disease." Come on, people!

I have Celiac, but you and I together, are Celiacs, but some of our international friends have Coeliac and are Coeliacs.

flagbabyds Collaborator

yeah cause it is really Celiac Sprue but sprue is oldfashioned so it is just CELIAC DISEASE

yeah it really bugs me when someone calls it celiacs

argggggggggggggggggggg

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor
yeah cause it is really Celiac Sprue but sprue is oldfashioned so it is just CELIAC DISEASE

yeah it really bugs me when someone calls it celiacs

argggggggggggggggggggg

Hey Molly,

I have this strange urge to stand when you post, with a member number of 20. Celiac since birth, that I know, but posting by 10. You are truely the Queen, or better yet, the Princess. :P:D

Lisa

flagbabyds Collaborator
Hey Molly,

I have this strange urge to stand when you post, with a member number of 20. Celiac since birth, that I know, but posting by 10. You are truely the Queen, or better yet, the Princess. :P:D

Lisa

what does posting by 10 mean?

sorry i'm tired and i have a cold and i am taking a break cause i just finished my homework and i am thinking in spanish sooo.

estoy confundida.

amybeth Enthusiast

I'M GUILTY!

I know it's celiac, but celiacs just sounds better to me. :o

Now that I know it's a pet peeve, I'll try to stop doing it........I have many pet peeves that are word related, so I understand the frustration. (like when people say pacific instead of specific -argh!) :angry:

tarnalberry Community Regular

extra 's, extra 'e... they just creep in... :)

debmidge Rising Star

"A rose by any other name is still a rose."

In the celiac beginning I "searched" the "sprue" word and it came up as a disease in cats...

Since celiac disease can run the gamut of symptoms there's no one word that can describe it. Malabsorption syndrome sounds good, but what about those who only have neurological symptoms?

celiac disease needs a public relations person to refine the name. Something short that defines the whole disease.

Lymetoo Contributor

And it's LYME DISEASE, not Lyme's. Drives me totally nuts!!! If you ever get a tick bite or think you have Lyme and you go to a doctor for it.......RUN if he calls it Lyme's!! That means he knows absolutely NOTHING about diagnosing or treating it!! :o

In addition, even if he DOES pronounce it correctly, he STILL may know NOTHING about it!

Thanks for letting me vent!!! :lol:

emcmaster Collaborator

I'm glad to hear that when it is referred to as "celiac'S", it bothers others, too. I was worried that I would come across as a member of the grammer police (which I'm guilty of in some instances), but it's one of those things that just gets under my skin!

2Boys4Me Enthusiast
I'm glad to hear that when it is referred to as "celiac'S", it bothers others, too. I was worried that I would come across as a member of the grammer police (which I'm guilty of in some instances), but it's one of those things that just gets under my skin!

I'm the spelling police. GrammAr. :ph34r:

Celiacs drives me crazy, too, and it's a very short drive. :P

Off topic a bit to say Beth, I always read your user name as EMC Master. And then finally realized that it's probably E McMaster.

Molly, I think Lisa meant posting on the board by age 10.

flagbabyds Collaborator

i was like 11.5 when i started posting on the old boards cause that was my science fair start and i did all my science fairs on celiac and stuff.

so 10 is close enough

entiendo ahora.

que bueno

DingoGirl Enthusiast
:lol: oh my gosh, celiacS drives me CRAZY............and LymeS Disease - - - thanks for posting this!

Archived