Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

• You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.

💬

• Sign In

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TBOX

Elizabeth Haselbeck Said She Has Celiac!

I just heard on The View this morning that Elizabeth Hasselbeck has celiac disease. She mentioned it, explained it briefly as they were closing, and Rosie told viewers to Google it and they will have a segment on it next week. That's great!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I just heard (in the closing moments of the show) Rosie O'Donnell say that the reason Elizabeth never eats on the show is because she has Celiac Disease and they will be doing a whole segment on it next week.

Elizabeth herself said she has Celiac, and described it as an allergy (!) to wheat, oats, barley and rye. She also said something about being able to drink gluten-free beer.

Can't wait to see how they handle the subject.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Hey, Patti...you beat me to it! I heard Elizabeth mention something about gluten-free beer and was shocked to actually hear her say she has Celiac! Can't wait to see what The View segment on Celiac will be next week!

I was so excited when she said that today! I'm going to tivo it next week :)

dx by blood test and biopsy April 2006.

gluten free since, and avoiding dairy.

woohoo! I was coming over here to post this exciting news too!

Wouldn't it be great if she were to become a national spokesperson for celiac disease. It could be beneficial for her too. Imagine the money ..comercials, endorsements.

Can't wait to see how the view deals with this!!!

So happy to hear her come out and say this! We've known she's had a "problem" with gluten, and we all wondered!

Nice to have it confirmed! Yay Elisabeth!

Let me know when it comes on...I figured out how to Tivo finally :)

dairyqueen: Heidi Collins, a CNN anchor, is a recently appointed spokesperson for Celiac Awareness. Google her and you'll find the info. Yay media people with Celiac!

Thanks for posting...'GOING TO CALL YOU FAST FINGER PATTI' FROM NOW ON.

CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT

LOVE

JUDY

Judy in Southern CA

i was just about to post it as well cause i got this email from the celiac listserve;

Hi all,

There will be a segment on Celiac Disease next week on "The View". =

Elizabeth Hasselback announced just this morning that she is a Celiac, =

and then she said "it is a gluten allergy". I think that is the first =

time she has said her problem is Celiac Disease. Rosie told everyone to =

Google Celiac, and watch for the segment next week.. Given all the =

publicity on "The View" recently, this will be a lot of publicity for =

the cause of people spreading the word of Celiac Disease.

Diagnosed in March 2006 after being in the hospital due to pancreatitis due to undiagnosed celiac

years of being told i had IBS, taking numerous IBS medications (since the age of fifteen)

i was just about to post it as well cause i got this email from the celiac listserve;

Hi all,

There will be a segment on Celiac Disease next week on "The View". =

Elizabeth Hasselback announced just this morning that she is a Celiac, =

and then she said "it is a gluten allergy". I think that is the first =

time she has said her problem is Celiac Disease. Rosie told everyone to

Google Celiac, and watch for the segment next week.. Given all the =

publicity on "The View" recently, this will be a lot of publicity for =

the cause of people spreading the word of Celiac Disease.

Do you know what comes up first when you google Celiac? Celiac.com! That means we'll probably be getting more visitors and "lurkers" here, which is GREAT! Let's all get ready to welcome newbies and answer questions. Just think about how many people will be interested and possibly visiting here after next week's show!

Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

Jess,

How do you sign up for 'listserv'?

judy

Judy in Southern CA

That's awesome!

It's so nice to watch awareness grow, even in the two years since my diagnosis. It's going to help a lot of people, hopefully.

Enterolab results: 14 October 2006

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0501

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,5)

(Yay!)

gluten-free since May 2005

Currently soy and dairy free !

"You have filled my heart with greater joy than when their grain and new wine abound"

--Psalm 4:7

That's great news! When and what time is The View usually on? Probably when I'm at work...Maybe I can take an early or late lunch.

Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004

Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003

Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

I don't see any info on their website about content of upcoming shows (other than this weeks guest stars). I sent an email and will post the info if they reply.

The timing is awesome also! With all this Rosie/The Donald stuff going on, more people have been tuning in to the View lately..... even me, and I usually don't watch it..... but will now!

Karen

Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy

Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism

endometriosis (at age 20)

spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.

Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs

Rhiannon 8 yrs

Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."

Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.

-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."

Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."

Unknown

does anyone know exactly what day it is going to be on next week? keep me updated!! :) i hope it's tues or thurs otherwise i'll be in class and have to miss it... <_<

Well i think if you check the schedule next week they may have it online or on the recap part of the website.

http://abc.go.com/daytime/theview/index.html

I also think it maybe a good idea to email the show or Elisabeth, I did, and just let them know how many people are thankful for them bringing this to their show.

Dx & gluten-free since 12/09/05

Positive blood and endo test

Boston, MA

What doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger

Jess,

How do you sign up for 'listserv'?

judy

Hi Judy

I signed up for it along time ago and dont remember how, but i will check my "celiac" files from when i first got diagnosed and see if i can find instructions on how to do it! i have to look for it becasue i havent seen it since we moved :)

i will send you a pm when i find it. i'm also goign to google it now and see if i can find instructions!

Jess

p.s i emailed elisabeth on teh view website thanking her for bringing awareness to celiac! here is the link to email her....

http://abc.go.com/daytime/theview/mail/hasselbeck.html

Diagnosed in March 2006 after being in the hospital due to pancreatitis due to undiagnosed celiac

years of being told i had IBS, taking numerous IBS medications (since the age of fifteen)

Great to hear...yippee!!! I just e-mailed Elizabeth myself. Can you imagine the exposure that this segment will bring to this issue? Huge!!! I can't wait!!! :lol:

Gluten-free since 10/05 - Positive dietary response with Doctor's validation! - Debilitating migraines, constant dizziness and lightheadedness gone; anxiety & panic attacks, depression, agoraphobia and extreme exhaustion considerably lessoned

Dairy/Casein Intolerant

Soy, Cabbage, Sugar, Peanut, Shellfish, Caffeine, Egg, Potato and Tomato allergies / intolerances

Sporadic reactions to: Poultry

Avoiding all preservatives and additives

Also Multiple Chemical/Environmental Sensitivities

Mitral Valve Prolapse

Pulmonary Embolism - 1999

Dance, when you're broken open.

Dance, if you've torn the bandage off.

Dance in the middle of fighting.

Dance in your blood.

Dance, when you are perfectly free.

RUMI

ya hooooo

My mom had told me about last week, but she couldn't remember exactly what was said(short term memory loss caused by stroke) anyway I can't wait to watch. :lol:

Anybody find out which day yet?

I just went on and e-mailed Elisabeth on the view too. I told her how thrilled I was (we) were to hear that see was going to do a segment on it. :)

Diagnosed Celiac Sprue Disease August, 02, 2006

Blood test, No Biopsy

IgA off the scale 44 now 3

IgG 56

(tTG) IgA 25 now 2

(tTG) IgG 1 now 1

now border line low iron 10

Gluten Free since August, 02, 2007

Diagnosed with Osteoporosis November 2006

As of Jan 2007 all numbers looking good

As of Feb 2007 no more Pork, having Allergic reactions

Lactose Intolerence

Hey

Apparently the show will air this friday, not next week, as in tommorow so turn on your tivos!

Jess

Hey

Apparently the show will air this friday, not next week, as in tommorow so turn on your tivos!

Jess

Wow! Thanks for the heads up :)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Hey

Jess

Jess,

I looked at the schedule on their website, but didn't see this ... I'm sure I am missing something ..

I wrote a letter to Elisabeth and included info on my experience and nuerological celiac ... Marcia

Jan 1990 - Dx CFS/ME/FM (URI's, Ataxia, myoclonus, orthostatic hypotension, insomnia, brain fog, swollen lymph nodes, sore throat... ) Completely Disabled (housebound and bedridden at times)

2004 - Digestive pain all the time.

May 2004 - Hiatal hernia, erosive gastritis, gastroparesis (endoscopy)

August 2004 - Colon polyps, diverticulitus, internal hemorrhoids (colonoscopy)

No relief from Nexium, Prilosec, Protonix, Zelnorm, Miralax, Imodium, Lomotil ...

July 2005 - GP recommended WFDFSFEFCF + vegan (Also, anything that hurts free)

Immediately stopped needing naps and digestive pain reduced.

Sept 2005 - GFDFCFSFEF + chemical free - Immediately stopped feeling jittery / buzzing and digestive issues were much better.

June 2006 - Dx B12 and iron deficient. Started B12 injections and using cast iron pan.

August 2006 - MYOCLONUS GONE. (off Klonopin)

September 2006 - ATAXIA, INSOMNIA and Feeling like the floor was moving under my feet gone.

June 19, 2007 - Positive DQ2, Dx Celiac

October 2007 - Sleeping like a baby, waking up with energy, but still having fatigue/stamina issues

Nov 2007 - Started Paleo diet for chronic hypoglycemia

April 2008 - GTT normal. I'm no longer hypoglycemic. Started Low oxalate diet for kidney stones.

May 1, 2008 - Began salt loading for OI/NMH - noticed immediately muscle weakness was gone. I was sodium deficient but my labs don't reflect it. Still working on OI and PEM.

Hey

Jess

Where did you see that the celiac disease discussion show will air on Friday (1/26/07)? I also emailed Elizabeth to thank her for openly sharing about her celiac disease experience. I encourage anyone reading this to email her a thank you note. Let's STUFF her inbox with appreciation for promoting celiac disease awareness!

BURDEE

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

It would probably be a good idea for those who have been diagnosed via biopsy or blood work and have nuerological problems that have resolved by going gluten free to email Elisabeth too ....

Thanks ... marcia

Jan 1990 - Dx CFS/ME/FM (URI's, Ataxia, myoclonus, orthostatic hypotension, insomnia, brain fog, swollen lymph nodes, sore throat... ) Completely Disabled (housebound and bedridden at times)

2004 - Digestive pain all the time.

May 2004 - Hiatal hernia, erosive gastritis, gastroparesis (endoscopy)

August 2004 - Colon polyps, diverticulitus, internal hemorrhoids (colonoscopy)

No relief from Nexium, Prilosec, Protonix, Zelnorm, Miralax, Imodium, Lomotil ...

July 2005 - GP recommended WFDFSFEFCF + vegan (Also, anything that hurts free)

Immediately stopped needing naps and digestive pain reduced.

Sept 2005 - GFDFCFSFEF + chemical free - Immediately stopped feeling jittery / buzzing and digestive issues were much better.

June 2006 - Dx B12 and iron deficient. Started B12 injections and using cast iron pan.

August 2006 - MYOCLONUS GONE. (off Klonopin)

September 2006 - ATAXIA, INSOMNIA and Feeling like the floor was moving under my feet gone.

June 19, 2007 - Positive DQ2, Dx Celiac

October 2007 - Sleeping like a baby, waking up with energy, but still having fatigue/stamina issues

Nov 2007 - Started Paleo diet for chronic hypoglycemia

April 2008 - GTT normal. I'm no longer hypoglycemic. Started Low oxalate diet for kidney stones.

May 1, 2008 - Began salt loading for OI/NMH - noticed immediately muscle weakness was gone. I was sodium deficient but my labs don't reflect it. Still working on OI and PEM.