This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Elizabeth Haselbeck Said She Has Celiac!

TBOX

jerseyangel Proficient

Not to beat a dead horse, but on today's The View, they devoted the entire hour to Autism. Now, I think that it's wonderful, but I just couldn't help noticing the difference in coverage between Friday's Celiac 3 minute blurb, and this full-scale program.

They have a celebrity guest host, who's son is Autistic. There are experts, adults who have dealt with the disorder and profiles of families dealing with it. It was stated at the beginning of the show that it affects 1 in 166 children (mostly boys).

Like I said, I in no way begruge this program, but coming the next show day after the somewhat rushed, non researched talk about Celiac--it just dosen't sit right with me. All of the hosts seem to be well versed in the facts today, like they did their reading and research. Unlike on Friday.

I just sent an email to Barbara Walters--probably won't change a thing--but it made me feel better :D

Please be gentle with me.... :unsure:

Edit: I want to say that I know that there are those here who deal with Autism in their families, and my point was not to discourage shows about this subject. I simply couldn't help but notice the huge difference between how the two subjects were addressed.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
tarnalberry Community Regular
Like I said, I in no way begruge this program, but coming the next show day after the somewhat rushed, non researched talk about Celiac--it just dosen't sit right with me. All of the hosts seem to be well versed in the facts today, like they did their reading and research. Unlike on Friday.

Because an hour long show would have had to involve discussion of poop.

^That is not a joke. En masse, "we" (not the board, we've gotten over it) aren't mature enough to be able to comfortably talk about these things.

On the other hand, it's my understanding that this was true of Autism in the not too distant past as well.

floridanative Community Regular

I really think The View will do a 'proper' segment on Celiac because from what I was told, Rosie mentioned last week that they were doing a segment on it this week. I think Friday's blurb was really just a teaser and an ad for the beer. True everyone who is gluten free knows about the beer already, but I know of someone dx'd with Celiac who couldn't give up beer so he didn't go gluten free just because of that. So if someone told that person he could have beer now, he might give the gluten free diet a try.

More importantly Elisabeth did mention Celiac is often misdiagnosed as IBS (and the meds don't help much) and that comment would peak the curiousity of hudreds or thousands suffering from that alone. Then she mentioned infertility as a symptom in some.........it's not like the average infertility doc is going to tell his patients they should be tested for Celiac even though studies show 10% of infertile couples have one partner with undiagnosed Celiac. So the blurb did help some if not many in my opinion.

Of course we need a show about Celiac like the one they did today (according to jerseyangel). I saw they were doing a show about Autism in the beginning but I had no idea they were going to do a whole show about it. I think that's amazing really. Maybe we're next but anyone who knows much about Celiac knows you can't fit everything into 40 minutes (air time for an hour show) so plenty of people will still complain about an hour long show. At this point I think any publicity is good publicity. Until we get our 'Michael J. Fox' we have to take any crumbs we can get.

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

I'm sorry, I missed it. I would have liked to see it, even if it only was 3 minutes.

I think why we don't get a lot of air time on anything and this included when it was Celiac awareness week here is because we are not "big name" yet. Meaning if it was cancer, heart attacks or three-headed whatevers then we would get a great deal of exposure. I think that would render us more notice is making the fact that it can unfortunately cause other very serious illnesses. A little exposure is better than none.

Yes, that's my opinion, too. And this is kind of weird, that cancer, heart attacks or whatever gets more exposure, because celiac unfortunately can cause exactly those diseases... just like you said. So... I don't get it. :blink:

Guess all the people can't be happy all of the time, I think it goes like that. As I stated I am just glad it was mentioned at all, anything helps. I think everyone must remember this is a talk show, they briefly touch on many subjects, if you want a more in depth program I think you need to look towards hour long shows, a program that will spend a lot of time on one subject. We have been trying to get Elisabeth to speak up about it for a couple of years and then many are not happy with the way it is done. I for one am just glad she spoke up and said something that may help many people that are suffering. Cut her some slack, I don't know that I would get on national television and talk about my bowels, or gas, or the multitude of other symptoms, for sure I would not have at her age.

Yes, that's true. And even though they made commercial for beer. So what? We always think about helping the newbies in our celiac world. Think about the thousands of celiacs, that are diagnosed since decades already. Some of them might not even know, that there actually ARE glutenfree beers out there. Yes, I know, news like that spread like wildfire on HERE. But how many people are out there, that don't know how to use internet or don't even have internet??? :blink: It's not as common as you might think. And even though, we are not beer drinkers (or not many of us), it might have helped them. I'm not a big beer drinker either, but now I'm glad, I was able to taste a sip. It's actually not bad and you don't have to have an alcohol session. I usually drank one glas only (once a month or a week) in the past, which is actually half a glas, cause I mixed the other half with coke or pepsi. This is a one of the most famous drinks in germany that even teenagers (especially teenagers, because of the cola) drink already. When you translate it literally from the german language it would be called a "cola-wheat". Cause wheat bear is called "a wheat" in Germany. When I talk about it to my husband I call it a "cola-beer", cause he gets confused. It is very low in alcohol and very good. And before I get bashed, in middle ages in Europe, when the waters were poisoned from the pest, everyone drank beer, from the babies to the old ones and it didn't harm any child. ;) Because the alcohol in the beer was safe against the pest... So if you don't abuse drinking beer, beer can be actually quite good...

If I was directing it at you, I would have quoted you. My post referred to a collective "you", as in all the people who are sounding like the nagging, hard to please housewives who no matter what a person does, it is never good enough.....

I gotta tell you all, I put myself in her shoes for a minute. Perhaps she is a member on this forum (or another celiac forum, for that matter.....) and she has read how we have been begging and hoping and praying to get the word "Celiac" out there. She finally decides to bite the bullet and openly discuss it, even though it would open her up wide to talk about her bowel movements in all their lovely aromatic glory, but hey, she gets the nerve to do it anyway........ Lo and behold, she comes on here thinking she has done something wonderful and everyone has hoped for for so long, only to read nothing about b%$@#ing and complaining about how it was done and it wasn't long enough, or good enough, or detailed enough, or medically accurate enough.........

I for one would be so pissed I would just say screw those ungrateful little turds, and let that be the end of it, subject dropped........

Just my 2 cents (Cdn.), of course......

I couldn't have said it better. Kudos to Elisabeth for speaking up!

Well, I see it differently and that is ok too. To begin with, hard to please housewives who no matter what a person does, it is never good enough..... I am not a housewife, I work full time in the medical field--we are closed on Friday's and Sundays. I just happened to be home on the one day they chose.

I have worked hard in the over 5 yrs I have been gluten-free to enlighten people to celiac disease. I have always willingly given my email address, even my phone number to people who need help. I have a friend in Florida who said without the personal help I gave him when he first found out he had celiac's, he doesn't know what he would have done. He calls me his "celiac angel"! I am not ashamed to tell people what my symptoms were just so they know they are not alone. I have my story saved on my computer and I have many, many times sent it to newbies. Any time someone needs help, I am there for them.

In my opinion, the only reason I knew what Elizabeth was talking about is because I already know what celiac's is. If I didn't know, I would have no idea what she was saying and you could not hear her over Rosie's big mouth. Saying a beer is gluten free means nothing to the general public and believe it or not, the biggest majority of celiac's could care less about beer. If you say gluten free, the response usually is, "Do you mean glucose?"

Have you ever heard the term, "2 steps forward, 3 back"? Yes, we need celiac disease to explode in the media, yet it needs to be done correctly and in good taste. This segment was about gluten-free beer, not getting good information to the public.

And yes, if I had national exposure like Elizabeth does, I would make sure the information I gave out was very clear and informative, I also would have posted the GIG address and 800# for more information. It was done poorly and that is not just my opinion.

Cutting someone slack goes both ways!

Yes, Rosie has a big mouth. But she's like that most of the time, that's not Elisabeth's fault. And you don't know, what happens "behind the curtain". They might tease her (in a bad way), that you never hear about officially. So it's no wonder, she might be intimidated. And even if they made commercial for a glutenfree beer. She still said something about this disease. So if somebody gets suspicious, they might have it, they can google glutenfree or go to the library, if they don't have internet... this is actually how most of us in here found out now, didn't we??? We heard about it in a very slight way, thought, we could have it, and then did research, or not???

I guess I just look at it as if one person hears about the diagnosis celiac as it realtes to being diagnosed with IBS or some other disorder and they google celiac it just may help them. As far as the beer, so what, for people that like beer I imagine they are quite pleased to find there is a gluten-free beer. I personally don't drink it but my brother does and he is very happy about it.

I am just happy that she said the work celiac, which is what we have asked her many times to do.

Exactly, that what I meant by my statement above. People can google it and then find out with research. That's actually the way most people found out about this board on here... if your'e honest.

Hugs, Stef

Oh, I forgot completely, I send her an e-mail, too.

Rusla Enthusiast

Think of all the things they do bigger shows on now when we had never heard of them many years ago.

Anorexia was rarely heard of until Karen Carpenter died from it. The same from Bulimia until Princess Di had it.

Autism never came up until Sylvestor Stallones son had it and then Rain Man was made.

If we had someone who is very prominent in society come out with it then it would help it get out there faster.

The old saying, "don't look a gift hose in the mouth," comes to mind. Meaning, we should be pleased it was mentioned on a tv show, look at all that we did to get this on Oprah without success. This is a great step and looking the gift horse in the mouth we could be bitten on the snout and no one could ever hear about it again.

We need to really encourage them and appreciate them by thanking them for at least putting the effort out there. Then eventually, maybe one day soon someone will do a big show, an accurate show, a show that really gets it out there full of non bashful Celiacs like some of us old dinosaurs.This should motivate all of us to go after them and thank them thus encouraging them and others to do shows. We should all write letters to the government encouaging them to re-establish it as a disability.

The producers of the show more than likely said "okay you have three minutes knock yourselves out and if we get a good response we may do a whole show on it."

Well right now on the View which is 11:00 in Alberta they are discussing Autism.

Mango04 Enthusiast

hmm sorry hit the wrong button.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Canadian Karen Community Regular

I have to admit that when I first tuned in and they said they would have a whole hour on autism, my first thought was "What a golden opportunity to mention gluten again!" as there is a strong connection between gluten and autism. Unfortunately, they missed that opportunity, but hey, it may come up still......

We have to look on the positive side: Autism was the disease de jour, same as MS might be next week, but ELIZABETH HAS CELIAC, it will be an ongoing discussion, the perfect opportunity for her to discuss it periodically, especially when new advances come up, etc., where that will do a much better job in getting the audience well informed about her celiac, rather than just it being the "disease de jour"......

So let's encourage that, and nurture that and applaud that......

Karen

Rusla Enthusiast

I wrote to Barb Walters and thanking her for the show on Celiac and to thank Rosie and the very brave Elisabeth for coming out and presenting it. I also said we would be so very happy if they were to do a whole or even half a show on it, and I did a ps that Autistic people cannot have gluten and there is a connection. As well as it's very debilitating effects and other diseases.

but ELIZABETH HAS CELIAC, it will be an ongoing discussion, the perfect opportunity for her to discuss it periodically, especially when new advances come up, etc.,

I thought that they had that in mind as well. They might throw some stuff in once in a while, because Elizabeth has it and therefor don't bring a complete show.

Hugs, Stef

mylady4 Rookie

I think that more attention is given to Autism then Celiac because Celiac is a treatable and managable condition and Autism is not as managable and is not treatable. I have Celiac and I can live with it and it does not cause too many problems. I also have a daughter with Autism and CP and it is much much harder to manage that. There is a lot that we cannot do as a family because of my youngest. Family vacations are out of the question with her but with Celiac it is possible. Celiac disease will get it's time. Even in the year that I have had it, it is much easier to live with due to the allergen labeling. Hopefully in the near future they will find cures for both.

Nicole

2kids4me Contributor

I think its great that they mentioned celiac and maybe they will present an indepth program in the future.

It's also good that more programs get correct information out to the public about autism.

We are all passionate about celiac and wanting to get the word out since it is often mis-diagnosed and missed as a diagnosis.

I wish they would have program about Kawasaki - it is devastating to the immune sytem, causes permanent heart damage when it is missed - and there is window of 5 days in which to diagnose it and start treatment. And the damage it leaves behind can be fatal to babies (giant coronary artery aneuryms). There is no diet, and nothin can be done once the window of opportunity for treatment closes (about 7 to 9 days after onset of symptoms).

I wish they would show kids giving themselves insulin 3 times a day and poking their finger 4 times a day instead of the addicts on the street who get news coverage because they need a safe place to shoot up. Insulin is a treatment, not a cure. Diabetics still get diabetes related complications despite best efforts. Celiacs who remain gluten free often stay healthy.

Count your blessings, this IS a hard disease to manage and it is at times all consuming... be glad it was mentioned, Elisabeth is on the show every day and with the amount of email they have been getting (Rosie mentioned they got a TON of mail)... I am sure they will put together something.

Sandy

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Don't know if anyone posted this but here is a link to the show if people missed it

Open Original Shared Link

Judy

cajun celiac Rookie

Thanks for posting the site! I love the way Rosie was taking it so serious. I sent the clip to everyone in my family so they'd see I'm not a hypochondriac.

Archived