This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Sick Were You During Pregnancy?

kathyhay

How sick were you during pregnancy?  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

kathyhay Apprentice

I'm just wondering if there might be a connection...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

j9n Contributor

I did not have a whole lot of trouble with morning sickness but I had alot of trouble during the last trimester ( my son is now 16). I went into labor at 7 months, had preeclampsia, high blood pressure, etc. I was bed ridden for 3 months and that was my only pregnancy. I was jealous of my friends who had effortless pregnancies. The good thing is I had a very healthy late 10 lb baby boy!

judy04 Rookie

Hi,

Funny you should mention this, I gave it some thought a while ago

because I was so sick for the entire 9 months. I even got sick

in the labor room, vomited quite a few times. I had 2 healthy babies

though. I always thought it was from stress, we had no money and

I worked as long as I could.

rgeelan Apprentice

Well I HATE to throw up... With my son I was nausious for most of the pregnancy but only threw up a few times. With my daughter I was very sick throwing up almost daily and that lasted untill I was a good 6 months prego....

I have not been diagnosed with celiac disease yet but will be tested since my son is suspected to have it and I have a lot of the symptoms...

FreyaUSA Contributor

I won't help in the connection then. I had three pregnancies and, except for some minor queasiness during my last one, I would say they were effortless. I did click "less than usual" because of that one short period, but if I'd had to vote on just my first two (who were boys, and last as a girl) I'd have said None at all. Oh, I did have enemia, protein problems and went into labor 2 weeks early on all three. But I felt great! Hehe!

hapi2bgf Contributor

I was not sick during the pregnancy, but I started dropping weight just before I got pregnant and lost muscle while pregnant. Within four months after the birth I was 20 lbs below my preprego weight. It look almost 3 1/2 yrs to get a diagnosis and stop the weight loss.

Killarney Apprentice

I was really sick. I had hyperemesis gravidarum, which is basically severe morning sickness. I was hospitalized for dehydration, on anti-nausea medication, etc. I threw up 20-30 times per day for the first 6 months. The last 2.5 months I was sick probably once a day. But I threw up for the entire pregnancy and during labor. I went into labor 2 weeks early.

I just found out today that I tested positive for Celiac disease so I'm just doing my first research right now. I'm 30 years old and never had any problems until after my baby so I think my pregnancy might have triggered it.

Interesting to think that maybe my severe morning sickness and this problem are related.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bluebird Newbie

I was very nauseated the whole pregnancy. My son was born 1 month early and I hemorrhaged and then had trouble producing enough milk to nurse him. (Lack of absorbing nutrients?) It took another 10 years to get pregnant again and miscarried at 3 months and the hemorrhaging was worse than when I delivered my son. I was taken by ambulance to the emergency room and my blood pressure was 53/38 when I got there. Obviously, I have a Vit K problem, amongst everything else. How could docs miss this all these years?

lynn

Killarney Apprentice
My son was born 1 month early and I hemorrhaged and then had trouble producing enough milk to nurse him. (Lack of absorbing nutrients?)

This happened to me, too. My son was born two weeks early and about two hours after his birth, I hemorrhaged badly. My milk did not come in for five days due to that and I had trouble nursing.

• 4 weeks later...
darlindeb25 Collaborator

My 1st pregnancy wasnt bad--just a little morning sickness in the beginning, the 2nd and 3rd, i was sick during the night a couple of nights a week throughout the pregnancy--with my 4th, i was carsick before there was any chance i could even know i was pregnant and it continued, day after day--i was so sick i could hardly make it to the dr office--i was given nausea medicine then and was so low on iron that i was taking double iron daily, plus worried about gestational diabetes--at this point i decided i didnt want to get pregnant again and went on birth control pills--before too long i went to the dr to find out why i had flu like symptoms so often and they decided i had the flu and just wasnt getting over it, imagine my surprise when i was told once more that i was pregnant--the dr said--birth control pills work 99% of the time and you have to be the one :o--i lost 40# while pregnant with my last baby and was sick all the time, it was after she was born that the panic attacks started---i believe pregnancy's may have triggered my celiacs and it was 19 yrs before i found out about celiacs and went gluten free--i feel better now most of the time then i have in almost 30 yrs :rolleyes: deb

SofiEmiMom Enthusiast

This is an interesting question. I had wondered if there was a correlation. I was SO sick during my two pregnancies. I threw up 10 times a day, every day, for 9 months. Both times. It was such a struggle. I was diagnosed after my second child was diagnosed at 14 months old.

It's so amazing to me how much our bodies can take and how utterly clueless the medical community is. ;)

seeking-wholeness Explorer

I had morning sickness (constant queasiness, but no vomiting--I hate it so much that I have gotten very good at controlling it mentally, I think!) from about the six-week mark until the end of the fourth month with both of my pregnancies. Then it subsided and I felt fine. But I have to say, my morning sickness and my motion sickness problem REALLY synergized! Riding in the car was absolutely awful then!

--Sarah

kathyhay Apprentice

I don't think I have celiac disease, but I still want to share my pregnancy experience! I thought I was going to be lucky and not get morning sickness, but around 8 or 9 weeks along, I started feeling queasy while brushing my teeth. I was nauseated most of the time, around bedtime was the worst. I vomited only about once a week, but I never knew when it was going to be, so I was afraid to leave the house! At about 4-6 months I was so tired I would sleep all day and night just barely be awake for a couple of times a day to eat and drink something and go to the bathroom. I would wake up around 5 pm and my husband warned me that I would be up all night long, but I was back asleep by 8. I'm not a whimp unless I have to be. I was listening to my body and I'm glad I had the luxury to do so. If I had had a job, I wouldn't have had it for long in my pregnancy. I had nausea until I was 7 1/2 months along. I remember being excited when my barf attacks started being 2 weeks apart for a month or so, and then just one more barf after that and then I was just gigantic. I gained 60 pounds from water retention, and I had PIH so I was on partial bedrest my last couple of months.

• 4 years later...
MommaTara Newbie
I'm just wondering if there might be a connection...

Good for you for doing this survey! Would be great to get this survey on mothering forum under the sub-heading pregnancy as when I was sick with HG I found a lot of other mothers suffering with the same condition...

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Thanks for bringing this post back up front. The baby I had, when my iron was so low, will be 28 on Saturday. I wonder if my iron has been low all these years. My ferritin is now 22, 2 points from anemia.

• 3 weeks later...
txplowgirl Enthusiast

The first two months were ok then was sick all the time, vomiting, fatigue and pain. Was anemic, put on iron pills, made me sicker. At 6.5 months went into premature labor. Was in hospital 2 weeks then they sent me home for a month. Told to stay in bed unless went to the bathroom and I had to have someone be with me at all times. Dr's orders. Went back in for checkup, they put me back in hospital that day had son that night. Had preeclamsia and high blood pressure. After son was born went into 24 hour coma due to hemoraging. He was 5 lbs, 6.5 ozs. Nearly 26 yrs old now. I had plenty of breast milk but didn't have any nutrients. Had to bottle feed him with similac. After that when he was 2 tried to give him siblings. Had 7 miscarriages in 5 yrs. Never was able to get pregnant again.

Amyleigh0007 Enthusiast
I did not have a whole lot of trouble with morning sickness but I had alot of trouble during the last trimester ( my son is now 16). I went into labor at 7 months, had preeclampsia, high blood pressure, etc. I was bed ridden for 3 months and that was my only pregnancy. I was jealous of my friends who had effortless pregnancies. The good thing is I had a very healthy late 10 lb baby boy!

Me too! I sailed through the beginning. I was on bed rest for both of my pregnancies for the last month. I had high blood pressure, dizziness, heart palps. I gained weight super fast with both, like 40 pounds just in the last few months (fluid retention). I had an emergency C-section with my first and a planned one for my second.

elle's mom Contributor

I was just wondering about this same topic last night! I was reading about how celiacs are often vit B12 deficient and THOUGHT that was what they had told me to take to help my terrible morning sickness (didn't stick in my mind because it never really touched my nausea). It turned out that it was B6......so I just though oh I guess not.

I will be very interested to see the results of this pole! I just want to add that no one can FATHOM the pain of morning sickness until they themselves have had it-maybe even (don't kill me-but) worse than getting glutened as a celiac???

Archived