Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Granny Garbonzo

gluten-free Tomato Paste?

Every tomato based item seems to have tomato paste in it as an ingredient. Be nice if they told us what they use to thicken the paste...but they usually don't. I'd like to find out which do and don't so I can at least make my own tomato based stuff using tomato paste.

nearly 50yrs young and celiac disease nearly 20yrs<br />2 grown daughters, 1CD, other probably in denial, and 2 little grandaughters celiac disease<br />My elderly mother celiac disease in LaGrande Oregon<br /><br />I am healthy and active and love life too much to stray from celiac disease diet. <br />

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Every tomato based item seems to have tomato paste in it as an ingredient. Be nice if they told us what they use to thicken the paste...but they usually don't. I'd like to find out which do and don't so I can at least make my own tomato based stuff using tomato paste.

In Canada, I know that Safeway brand tomato paste is gluten free. The tomatoes are likely thickened by reduction during cooking. I believe other tomato pastes (Hunts, for example) are likely made the same way, but worth checking into individual brands to make sure.

Michelle

Another Canadian answer: Unico tomato paste is gluten-free. I don't know how widely distributed Unico is. They are in the Toronto area (Concord) and their products are widely available around here.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

Another Canadian answer: Unico tomato paste is gluten-free. I don't know how widely distributed Unico is. They are in the Toronto area (Concord) and their products are widely available around here.

Unico is definitely available across Canada. ;)

Michelle

In 5 years I've never found a tomato paste that does have gluten. This is just my experience. I do not claim to have contacted every tomato pasted manufacturer out there.

richard

tomato paste isn't "thickened" with something other than removal of water. you can make your own by simmering tomatoes for *a long time* - though doing that without scorching... that takes a delicate touch. :D

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

As soon as I saw your user name, I knew you were Cdn!!! LOL! I love it!

I use Unico..... you can find it everywhere......

Welcome!

Karen

Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy

Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism

endometriosis (at age 20)

spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.

Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs

Rhiannon 8 yrs

Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."

Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.

-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."

Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."

Unknown

tomato paste isn't "thickened" with something other than removal of water. you can make your own by simmering tomatoes for *a long time* - though doing that without scorching... that takes a delicate touch. :D

I Googled a recipe for tomato paste to confirm reduction was the method of cooking...and read how long it takes to make, and the patience and stirring required. I'll keep buying mine in a can...way cheaper than the cost of my time and patience! LOL!

Michelle

As soon as I saw your user name, I knew you were Cdn!!! LOL! I love it!

I use Unico..... you can find it everywhere......

Welcome!

Karen

I thought the Big Comfy Couch was seen North America wide?

Granny Garbonzo, are you Canadian?

Michelle

I remember the Big Comfy Couch, with her dolly Molly, my mom's foster child, Jenna loves that show and tried to do the stretches with the girl on it.

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif

Oops! Sorry, I didn't know it played down in the U.S.......

Karen

Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy

Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism

endometriosis (at age 20)

spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.

Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs

Rhiannon 8 yrs

Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."

Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.

-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."

Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."

Unknown