Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Moondanse

Cross Contamination

Hi there-

I finally got an official diagnosis this week. Prior to that, I had already started the gluten-free diet and had done quite a bit of research. I wanted to check with you guys about something I read. Can you truly get glutened from your partner? By kissing them after they've eaten gluten? If so, is this experienced more by folks that are very sensitive?

I have a feeling that I'll be posting a bunch of questions to you guys. I apologize and thank you in advance :lol:

Oh, I also wanted to find out if you knew about tests for Soy/Lactose intolerance? I don't think there are any blood tests. I was debating on going to a holistic doctor who checks for allergies/intolerance through Applied Kinesiology. I've never gone that route before and am slightly skeptical, but if it'll help me figure out if I have any further intolerances it's worth it. Any thoughts or experiences you can share would be great. Thanks!!!

Kelli

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yeah, if you kiss your SO right after they've eaten gluten-y food, you could get contaminated, as there's still starch in their mouth.

There is a standard test (breath) for lactose intolerance that your doctor can run, but casein and soy are more difficult. Besides alternative testing, or ELISA testing (which some doctors will do), you can do some variety of elimination diet.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

Hi there-

I finally got an official diagnosis this week. Prior to that, I had already started the gluten-free diet and had done quite a bit of research. I wanted to check with you guys about something I read. Can you truly get glutened from your partner? By kissing them after they've eaten gluten? If so, is this experienced more by folks that are very sensitive?

Hi Kelli,

I got glutened by a kiss once. My husband had eaten gluten about an hour before the kiss. Now he brushes his teeth before kissing if he's had any gluten. Better safe than sorry!

As far as testing, I used an elimination diet to identify my intolerances.

~Li

Celiac, dx Sep 2006

I have never been glutened by a kiss, yet Kev is always very protective of me and he will immediately tell me if he has eaten any gluten. Kev and I found each other 5 1/2 yrs ago. We met in August and I had gone gluten-free in July. So, we have learned this together and he has always been very observant while on the road too. He will call and say, I just found this that says gluten-free. It's great.

Deb

Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!