Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

teamworkjr

Does Pvp Contain Gluten?

Hi there! I'm getting confused again with hidden ingredients. Does anyone know what PVP is? It is in some of my hair products and the company says they are gluten free. But I know I've seen that Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein is often listed next to PVP Copolymer. Are there different kinds of PVP? Bottom line...does anyone know if PVP contains gluten??

Thanks!

Jennifer

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

from the BASF site

Polyvinylpyrrolidone (PVP) is a white, hygroscopic powder with a weak characteristic odor. In contrast with most polymers, it is readily soluble both in water and in a large number of organic solvents, such as alcohol, amines, acids, chlorinated hydrocarbons, amides, and lactams. On the other hand, the polymer is insoluble in common esters, ethers, hydrocarbons, and ketones.

The marked hygroscopicity of PVP and adhesion to different materials are characteristic properties of PVP. This property combined with outstanding film formation, high capacity for complex formation, good stabilizing and solubilizing capacity, insensitivity to pH, ready radiation-induced crosslinkability as well as good biological compatibility have made PVP one of the most frequently used specialty polymers.

PVP is a synthesized by free-radical polymerization of N-vinylpyroolindone in water or alcohols with a suitable initiator. By selecting suitable polymerization conditions, a wide range of molecular weights can be obtained extending from low (a few thousand daltons) to very high (1-2 million daltons).

"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"

- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.