This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

My Dermatologist Made Me Cry

Laurad-

Laurad- Apprentice

I really hate to write unfriendly things about people online, but I'd like to warn anyone in Colorado about my dermatologist so that they won't go through the same thing I did...

I've gone to Dr. Barbara Reed a couple of times over the past few years because she is a really highly regarded dermatologist in Denver. She's always been very nice and she clearly knows her stuff, but I went to her last week and at the end of my appointment I mentioned that I was diagnosed with celiac disease last year and I was wondering if she knew of any good face lotions that are gluten-free. Instead of just saying that she didn't know of any off the top of her head, her whole demeaner changed and she said "you aren't eating it" in a snide tone. Taken aback, I stammered something about how it could still make its way into my mouth and I'd rather be safe than sorry. She responded by launching into a 10 minute story about how one of her friends had stayed with her for a while and the friend was on a really restrictive diet but it turned out to not be celiac disease at all, and I should really just be listening to my body and not worrying about labels. At this point, I was on the verge of tears so I didn't respond, and luckily I made it to my car before I started sobbing.

The fact that a medical professional who knows nothing about my horrible medical history (other than that I get the occasional zit) could make such off-base, blanket statements in such a condescending manner makes me want to throw up. Why do so many doctors turn nasty at the first mention of celiac disease?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Oh, I'm so sorry you had to experience that. She must be related tot he dermatologist I saw, who said my rash didn't LOOK like DH (he saw it a month after I'd been put on prednisone, and it was practically gone) and that my bloodwork was NORMAL (the IgG was off the charts).

Since you did like her beforehand, you might try writing her a letter explaining how you feel and why. Be as nice and non-confrontational as you can while still explaining accurately why you felt so awful. You could explain that many celiacs who have DH DO react to products with wheat germ oil and oats. You might also throw in some links, especially to the recent University of Chicago study.

Your writing to her may or may not save the good relationship you used to have. But, more importantly, it will make you feel better AND it will educate her for the future. She might even resent what you have to say--but she won't soon forget it!

{{{HUGS}}}

quantumsugar Apprentice

I don't understand why some people are so defensive about Celiac disease... it's so weird.

I agree that you should write a letter if you feel able to. That experience sounds terrible (and I'm so sorry)... it may be one of those things where she doesn't realize how incredibly hurtful that was, and she is un-educated about Celiac disease. Taking a bit of time to calmly explain what you've been through and why her words were so bad could really help her (to not suck so much).

missy'smom Collaborator

That's aweful! How insensitive! Sounds like she took out her frustation with the friend on you. She's shown you her true colors. I've run into people like that. I'm a very forgiving person but I wouldn't go back.

rez Apprentice

I think doctors sometimes feel on the defensive because they are caught off guard. They really don't know much about Celiac and it would be best if they left it at that. Maybe that office has a manager that you could write to or maybe you could send her some literature. It's so frustrating!! So sorry you had to be in such a unfortunate situation.

tarnalberry Community Regular

sounds like she had a bad experience with her friend, and was forcing that onto you. totally unprofessional. I'm sorry. :(

Rusla Enthusiast

She sounds like the dermatologist that diagnosed me, after I forced him to do it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Michi8 Contributor

Is she related to the first dermatologist I saw? Is it something with that profession that attracts people with horrible beside manners?

I'm so sorry you had to experience such disrespect. :( Personally, I don't know that I'd bother writing a letter...I'd just look for a different dermatologist.

Michelle

hathor Contributor

How unfortunate. Some people just don't want to admit that they don't know something. Rather than do that, they will either be insistent that they do know something they really don't or will deny that it is worth knowing at all.

Betty in Texas Newbie

I am so sorry this happen to you they get defensive because they don't know any thing about this disease and don't care to learn they think there's not much money to be made in celiac because if you eat right you might get well . I went to a butt dr. and she said I read here that you have celiac how did they dg you and I told her blood and biospy says it is a hard disease to dg so you can't eat fish I wanted to laugh in her face yes I can eat fish I cant eat gluten and left it at that because she wanted to change the subject and I sure you all have been through this .

Jestgar Rising Star

FISH!?!?!? :blink::lol:

kbtoyssni Contributor

Fish?? Gosh, that's a new one! My dermatologist's nurse also gave me the "well, it only matters if you ingest it" to which I replied "well, if I get it on my hands and then touch something in my kitchen..." She told me that I should be washing my hands after applying... Which is good advice, but we'd just discussed how I touch my face way too much and I need to stop that so obviously it can still get on my hands after washing them.

I wish I knew exactly how they were going to attack so I could be ready with a response. I'm ready with responses for most comments, but if they rephrase the comment a bit, I get all flustered and confused trying to reply again.

hathor Contributor

That must be the special kind of fish that vegetarians are always assured that they surely must be eating :rolleyes: Next time someone says that, I'll just tell them I'm gluten intolerant :lol:

Kary Newbie
I've gone to Dr. Barbara Reed a couple of times over the past few years because she is a really highly regarded dermatologist in Denver. She's always been very nice and she clearly knows her stuff, but I went to her last week and at the end of my appointment I mentioned that I was diagnosed with celiac disease last year and I was wondering if she knew of any good face lotions that are gluten-free. Instead of just saying that she didn't know of any off the top of her head, her whole demeaner changed and she said "you aren't eating it" in a snide tone.

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. The comment that "you aren't eating it" is ignorant. I wasn't snacking out of my cat's litterbox but it was making me sick (100% wheat litter) I was also getting rashes on the underside of my forearms where the cats walk on the armrests of my desk chair. I've also had a scaly rash on my scalp for a long time that has about gone away since switching out hair and makeup products that had wheat germ oil/gluten products in them. I've had bad skin since I was a teen. Being gluten-free for a few months and using different skin care products has given me clear skin for the first time ever and I've tried everything including prescription treatments. I'm using MyChelle products now. I tried their sample pack and fell in love with it. There are several good lotions available depending on your skin type. I get it locally but here is their site if you are interested www.mychelleusa.com

Oh, and I'm new, hi. :) Not sure if there is an official intro somewhere, this thread just made me bold enough to post. I'm really happy to find so much good info and discussion. Thank you.

Lizzz88 Rookie
I really hate to write unfriendly things about people online, but I'd like to warn anyone in Colorado about my dermatologist so that they won't go through the same thing I did...

I've gone to Dr. Barbara Reed a couple of times over the past few years because she is a really highly regarded dermatologist in Denver. She's always been very nice and she clearly knows her stuff, but I went to her last week and at the end of my appointment I mentioned that I was diagnosed with celiac disease last year and I was wondering if she knew of any good face lotions that are gluten-free. Instead of just saying that she didn't know of any off the top of her head, her whole demeaner changed and she said "you aren't eating it" in a snide tone. Taken aback, I stammered something about how it could still make its way into my mouth and I'd rather be safe than sorry. She responded by launching into a 10 minute story about how one of her friends had stayed with her for a while and the friend was on a really restrictive diet but it turned out to not be celiac disease at all, and I should really just be listening to my body and not worrying about labels. At this point, I was on the verge of tears so I didn't respond, and luckily I made it to my car before I started sobbing.

The fact that a medical professional who knows nothing about my horrible medical history (other than that I get the occasional zit) could make such off-base, blanket statements in such a condescending manner makes me want to throw up. Why do so many doctors turn nasty at the first mention of celiac disease?

That's so horrible! I'm so sorry she did that to you! My boyfriend made me feel stupid because I was mentioning that I needed to check if my contact solution was gluten free and he made a similar comment as your doctor. I broke things off with him because I don't need someone making me feel that way. So you should break things off with your doctor! Hopefully you can find a more understand doctor and I can hopefully find a more understanding boyfriend!

Take care!

Sillyyakdidi Apprentice

i'm sorry your doctor was such a meanie! truth be told, ive had a few doctors that were real "winners" to put it nicely, get a new doctor, doctors are just like normal people, some of them are really rude, and some of them don't understand wtf celiac disease really is, and I dont have DH, but i've heard if its in lotions and products like that it can aggravate it, so im sorry you had a mean doctor!!!!

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast
I wasn't snacking out of my cat's litterbox but it was making me sick (100% wheat litter) I was also getting rashes on the underside of my forearms where the cats walk on the armrests of my desk chair.

OMG! OMG! That could be it. When a cat scratches me by accident I also get a real bad rash. Never knew, that cat litter had wheat in it. Duuuh :blink: ! And I was wondering the whole time, what in the world is at that cat's paw, that makes me react allergic???

Michi8 Contributor
OMG! OMG! That could be it. When a cat scratches me by accident I also get a real bad rash. Never knew, that cat litter had wheat in it. Duuuh :blink: ! And I was wondering the whole time, what in the world is at that cat's paw, that makes me react allergic???

You could be allergic to cat dander too...and more likely than a skin reaction to the cat litter. ;) I always get a rash and welts from cat scratches...that was my typical reaction to cats before my allergy got bad enough to cause asthma attacks.

Michelle

Kary Newbie

I don't know that all litters do but ours was an all natural 100% wheat litter called Wheat Scoop. You would think that would have registered with me as a problem but this is new and I was thinking more in terms of things I eat. I swapped it out for corn litter.

KristenQld Newbie

I've been in tears plenty. The looks on 'professionals' faces (pharamcy personnel, gp's, dermatologists) when I tell them "yep, tried it, yep, tried that too" and I mention the wheat in sorbolenes and the fact that it's in so much, well, lets just say I feel as though I'm the idiot!! How would I know! Funny, isn't it. There aren't too many people who know much about this disease and it's tragic the response from supposedly helpful people. If you can find yourself natural products that have a detailed ingredient listing, you'll get yourself sorted. I found a naturopath who makes up creams and an Australian based company who lists all ingredients in their natural body care range and it's fantastic. No rashes! Keep searching...there are helpful people out there! I'm in Australia, so I don't think it would suit you, recommending someone I know!

Laurad- Apprentice
If you can find yourself natural products that have a detailed ingredient listing, you'll get yourself sorted. I found a naturopath who makes up creams and an Australian based company who lists all ingredients in their natural body care range and it's fantastic. No rashes! Keep searching...there are helpful people out there! I'm in Australia, so I don't think it would suit you, recommending someone I know!

Too bad I'm not in Australia, because your cream-making naturopath sounds perfect!

Thanks to everyone for the advice! :)

• 2 weeks later...
tummyache Newbie

I am going to be honest here and I hope I don't offend anyone. First of all, many doctors are not educated about Celiac. Secondly, when it is brought up to a doctor they immediately begin thinking, "hypochondriac." If it isn't "hypochondria" then it must be some sort of eating disorder. So, they try to disuey you from thinking you have some gluten intolerance problems. If you are a woman, they will immediately send you to the OB/GYN because it has to be some kind of reproductive problem. UGH!

Archived