Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Kfurman

What Does It Mean - +iga -igg

Guest Kfurman

I have had GI problems all my life (most of them are classically celiac)and I finally sought medical care this year - my first mistake! I had my gall bladder removed but that did not bring the expected relief. I have been bounced from Gyn to GI and back a couple of times (a CT scan and two pelvic ultrasounds). My PA tested me for Celiac and h. pylori. The h. pylori was negative. The PA only tested IgA and IgG, the IgA was slightly elevated (0 to 4 is normal, mine was 6) and the IgG was within normal ranges. So, I don't know what that means...

Anyway, I return to the GI with the elevated IgA. They are not happy to see me and are actually bordering on rude. I am told that IgA and IgG are not specific, my IgA was barely elevated, and 1/2 the GI practice doesn't but any stock in the blood tests at all. You have to have a positive biopsy because its just too hard of a life change to make if you aren't truly celiac - that moronic comment needs no further anaylsis. After being in pain and bounced around for a year, I am in tears when confronted by their disbelief. They begrudgingly agree to run a complete celiac panel (w/ the tissue transglutimase that the PA would have had done had they looked at a lab manual for 5 minutes) and an endoscopy of upper GI tract. I am still awaiting the results.

It has been helpful to read your postings and realize I am not crazy! My husband wants me to ditch the current GI doctors, go gluten-free, and seek advice elsewhere. I think I will try gluten-free, no matter what the results but I would like to have a diagnosis so I can get my kids tested. The pediatrician's office said they would have to have a consult before agreeing to run the tests. I just don't want them to go through what I am going through. Enterolab is another option ...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

The pediatricians office is wrong - you have hired them, they are providing you a service. They can order the test.

As for you, see what the full panel says. It looks like you haven't had a biopsy yet? If the tests remain inconclusive, I'd definitely try the diet. You don't need a doctor's diagnosis for you - or the kids - to go gluten free.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

Guest Kfurman
The pediatricians office is wrong - you have hired them, they are providing you a service. They can order the test.

As for you, see what the full panel says. It looks like you haven't had a biopsy yet? If the tests remain inconclusive, I'd definitely try the diet. You don't need a doctor's diagnosis for you - or the kids - to go gluten free.

Guest Kfurman

Thank you for your reply. No, I have not had the endoscopy yet or heard the results on my bloodwork. That is the worst part, waiting for results. I did buy a book Gluten-Free for Dummies by Danna Korn. It looks practical and doable. Any advice on whether I should try it first and then have the family do it or should we all go cold turkey? My husband is game and suffers from GERD, which studies have shown that reducing carbs helps. He would love to get off the Nexium.

-Kristina

IgG is a more sensitive test, however... less specific to Celiac. IgA is a less sensitive test but more specific to Celiac. The two are used to monitor compliance with a gluten free diet. So, I find it odd for them to tell you that they don't matter. If they don't matter, why are they part of the panel??

I wish all doctors were made to go back to school and study Celiac, so they could start diagnosing real issues and stop attempting to make people feel like idiots.

Be advised, if you do go gluten free - your healing could be very speedy, in which case endoscopy and biopsy would be negative. If you "must" have a definitive diagnosis, don't go gluten free before following up. However, like others have said... you don't need a doctor to give you permission to eat a gluten free diet. If you feel better on the diet, that says a whole lot more than any blood test of biopsy results.

Lots of luck!

Jayhawkmom -

Mom of three....

Jay - 11

Bean - 8

Ian - 3