Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rusla

Losing My Doctor

Finally, I find a decent doctor who knows about Celiac disease. Everything is going swimmingly and I go see him last Thursday at his office and he doesn't say he is leaving. There are six other doctors in the clinic and he was the most popular. He did work a great deal out of the hospital but no office there.

Well I find out this week that he is no longer at the clinic and the other doctors will refuse to take his patients.

I am so lost and have no idea where I will find a doctor who doesn't pull the "oh you can't be celiac" or hasn't a clue to what I am talking about routine. I am so very sad and the list of doctors that are taking patients, forget it they have been on the taking patients list for years meaning they are probably lousy ones.

Rusla

Asthma-1969

wheat/ dairy allergies, lactose/casein intolerance-1980

Multiple food, environmental allergies

allergic to all antibiotics except sulpha

Rheumitoid arthritis,Migraine headaches,TMJ- 1975

fibromyalgia-1995

egg allergy-1997

msg allergy,gall bladder surgery-1972

Skin Biopsy positive DH-Dec.1 2005, confirmed celiac disease

gluten-free totally since Nov. 28, 2005

Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism- 2005

Pernicious Anemia 1999 (still anemic on and off.)

Osteoporosis Aug. 2006

Creative people need maids.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Rusla, I am sorry your lost your doctor. I know it will be tough finding another one who actually understands. Don't give up, and I hope you'll find another great doctor soon.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am really sorry :( So you do have that list of doctor's taking patients in Calgary? I went to see one of the doctors still on the list and I really liked him. I've went in a few times now and I'm considering him my new doctor. I'm going to PM you.

Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004

Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003

Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

I'm sorry you are losing your doctor and I hope that Carriefaith's info can help you.

For what it's worth, I don't have a doctor - instead, I just go to my internist. It helps a lot, we have regular appt's, and so on. Maybe you can just work with your GI or if you have an internist, also?

Gluten-free, Vegan

Wow, that's awful! I'm so sorry. Do you think maybe if you contacted your local Celiac Association chapter they might have a list of good doctors? Where did your doctor go, is he still praticing in Calgary or what?

Is this your GP that you mean or your GI doctor?

To be honest, my GP was completely useless in helping me with my diagnosis, she was the one that told me "I couldn't possibly have Celiac Disease" because of my negative blood test after TWO positive biopsies. I depend soley on my GI doctor now.

Do you have a good GI doctor you go to in Calgary? You should try to get into the GI clinic in Edmonton, it's really awesome. They have a whole office building next to the U of A hospital.

There are at least 6-8 doctors that practice out of there.

Good luck!!

Lynda

I can sympathize with you my doctor left at Thanksgiving, right after I was really sick. I have another doctor that I haven't been to yet but he was my mother's doctor nad he is currently my husbands doc. He is a great man but I don't know what he knows about celiac. I have to see him next Thursday for an earache I can't seem to shake so I guess I'll see whats going to happen with the rest of my problems. Good luck.

jennyj

Diagnosed March 2006 celiac sprue

Severe iron deficent anemia Jan 2002

Hypoglecemia 2000

"I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me"

Sorry and good luck finding a new doctor. I try to look for someone younger. They may not know a lot about celiac, but they tend to be more willing to learn and try non-traditional things. They would probably still be on the "accepting patients" list just because they're new. I'm not sure if the reason doctors don't believe you is because you don't have an official biopsy, but if I were going to a new doc and they started to doubt me, I'd probably lie and said I had a positive biopsy and blood test. Not that I recommend lying to your doctor... I just get so frustrated with things sometimes it's easier.

Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.

Peanut-Free since July 2006.

So sorry to hear that...I wonder why he didn't say that he was leaving? I hope you find an understanding doctor soon!

Gluten-free since 10/05 - Positive dietary response with Doctor's validation! - Debilitating migraines, constant dizziness and lightheadedness gone; anxiety & panic attacks, depression, agoraphobia and extreme exhaustion considerably lessoned

Dairy/Casein Intolerant

Soy, Cabbage, Sugar, Peanut, Shellfish, Caffeine, Egg, Potato and Tomato allergies / intolerances

Sporadic reactions to: Poultry

Avoiding all preservatives and additives

Also Multiple Chemical/Environmental Sensitivities

Mitral Valve Prolapse

Pulmonary Embolism - 1999

Dance, when you're broken open.

Dance, if you've torn the bandage off.

Dance in the middle of fighting.

Dance in your blood.

Dance, when you are perfectly free.

RUMI

That totally sucks Rusla. I'm so sorry to hear this news....why didn't the guy at least say he was leaving? How odd - maybe he was fired. I'll be thinking good thoughts that you find an even better doctor but I know how frustrating the search can be. Good luck and keep up posted on your progress.

Dx'd with anemia - March 2005

Positive blood tests - Sept. 2005

Positive biopsy - Jan. 2006

Gluten free since 1-23-06