Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stomper

Dermatisis Herpetiformis (dh)

I need to hear from anyone who has controlled their DH. I have only been gluten free for a month now as that was when I was diagnoised with DH and Celiac, but feel so much better except for the DH. It is still bad especially on my elbows. Red, sore, spots that open and sting with almost any cream I have tried. Any suggestions for help?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

until the dh is healed, try eliminating sources of iodine from your diet (iodized salt, seafood, etc - google can help find the list). iodine is necessary for forming the IgA deposits in the skin that make dh what it is. it may take a number of months for the deposits to clear and healt.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

I need to hear from anyone who has controlled their DH. I have only been gluten free for a month now as that was when I was diagnoised with DH and Celiac, but feel so much better except for the DH. It is still bad especially on my elbows. Red, sore, spots that open and sting with almost any cream I have tried. Any suggestions for help?

My Dermatologist told me to consult a nutritionist about the gluten free diet as there are a lot of products that contain gluten that you would never think of.You may not be completely gluten free. I've been somewhat on a gluten "reduced" diet for about a month now and i don't get any relief from these bumps. As with eliminating iodine from your diet, it is a viable solution since it effectively eliminates a part necessary for forming the bumps on your skin, but i've read you should consult your doctor before trying to eliminate iodine from your diet as your body needs it for something or other.

hope that helped

Gluten free diet since January 2007

Blah, I'm bored.

Guest Hydra

I am new to this too and have been dx'd with DH and pending Celiac test. Aloe seems to work to control it but not completely yet. Straight aloe right from the plant, not store bought.

I know this sounds silly but this was my award winning combo to help a bad outbreak. I originally figured out that it helped after my first biopsy. I was told to use straight vaseline on the biopsy spot and when I did I noticed that it was clearing up my elbow. I then started smearing vaseline anywhere I had an outbreak. Depending on how bad it was I would do it several times a day if I could get away with it. If I am really itchy I use benadryl spray first let it dry and then slime up with the vaseline. Maybe this will help those nasty little spots heal up for you!

Amy

Diagnosed by biopsy with DH August 2005

Diagnosed with hypo-thyroidism December 2005

Diagnosed by biopsy with Celiac July 2006