Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

debmidge

One Of The Top 10 Hated Responses From

RE: Does this product contain gluten?

Other than the "we cannot guarantee" statement issued by manufacturers I hate when they respond by throwing the problem back at you by telling you that you have to check with your doctor or with a dietian.

How in heaven's name would an MD or dietian know if the product is gluten free as these people don't make the product: YOU DO! That's what I'd like to say back to them. The manufacturer has the care, custody and control of their product, don't they? Or, are you telling me that you don't know what's in your own product? If so, then you should fire your Quality Control person.....

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

That makes NO sense at all...like your doctor is going to know!

Beverly

Gluten free since 2005

In the midst of winter, I found there was within me an invincible summer.

Albert Careb

36_35_6[1].gif

I did ask our dietician about this - and she reminded me that responses are often run by legal departments these days... they can only label something gluten free or make claims that it is safe for gluten free diets if they do all the assays required to have the label "gluten free".

Because there are numerous food intolerance /allergy issues they use "cover our a**" responses so they dont make someone sick. ....thus the suggestion to check with your doctor. When it comes to someone with a medical condition, believe it or not - someone at a food company saying : "this is fine for a celiac" would be accused of giving medical advice and for that the person would be fired.

If they dont have a dedicated gluten free facility - even if the particular product has NO gluten, they cannot legally claim the product is free from cc during packaging. Same with soy, dairy, nuts etc.

They "throw it back at us" because it is ultimately our responsibiltiy for our health and what we eat. yes it would make it easier if a manufacturer could tells us "it does not contain gluten", but in the day and age of lawsuits...they take the legal depts advice, at least that is what I have gathered, and what I understand to be the case.

Yes it makes my job more taxing when I shop for food but I am grateful that celiac can be treated by diet alone and I stick with gluten free products labeled as such or those naturally gluten free.

Sandy

Sandy

Type 1 diabetes - 1986

hypothyroid -1993

pernicious anemia

premature atrial beats

neuropathy

retinopathy

daughter is: age 15

central hypotonia and developmental delay

balance issues (rides an adult 3 wheel bike)

hypothyroid 1996

dermatographia - a form of angioedema 2002

celiac 2004 - by endoscopy

diagnosed Aspergers at age 7 - responded very well (HUGE difference) to gluten-free diet

recovered from Kawasaki (2003)

lactose intolerant - figured out in Oct/06

Gilberts syndrome (April/07)

allergy to stinging insects

scoliosis Jan 2008

nightshade intolerance - figured out April 2008

allergy to Sulfa antibiotics

son is 13

type 1 diabetic - 2003 diagnosed on his 9th birthday

celiac - 2004 by endoscopy

lactose intolerant - figured out Nov/06

Even if we ask our MDs or dietians in the end we still aren't sure about the product. :D I can't be "responsible for my health" if I am being kept out of the loop.

I am finding that the GLUTEN FREE labeling is being removed on products which were formerly known as gluten-free. It is confusing because it leaves one wondering if the product was re-formulated....remember, they don't have to state if there's rye, oat or barley in it: just wheat.

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

I think it helps to be clear with the company in what you're looking for - really, it's production details - and clear about what is reasonable (your doctor's review of their production process isn't). And, at the end of the day, they have every right to 'refuse us service', annoying as it may be. Gotta love what lawsuits have brought us to. :angry:

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA