Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

debb

Gluten Free Baked Goods Business

Hi,

I am a celiac who loves to bake! I have experimented with a number of different flours and baked goods with mixed results, but have adapted many recipes that I love, to taste just as good with-out gluten products. I am interested in possibly developing a business out of my love of baking and the lack of tasty products available.

I have a business background, but have been away from the business world for a while. Does anyone have tips or pointers on how to go about starting such a business?

Many thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

hi debb,

i'm also in a small gluten-free baked goods business.

first, i started with word of mouth - friends and family and the local chapter, and so on.

my sister is a pastry chef, and together we do allergen free in a dedicated kitchen baking and cooking (my kitchen), and non-allergen free with her stuff in her kitchen (so no cross-contamination). We do small catering events, as well as farmer's markets.

Some places require a license to do allergen free stuff. My city does.

I also sell them at local health food stores (privately owned ones).

All of this is more cost efficient than actually opening up a business. I hope that helps! Remember to write things off if you can :)

Laurie

Gluten-free, Vegan

Hi,

I am a celiac who loves to bake! I have experimented with a number of different flours and baked goods with mixed results, but have adapted many recipes that I love, to taste just as good with-out gluten products. I am interested in possibly developing a business out of my love of baking and the lack of tasty products available.

I have a business background, but have been away from the business world for a while. Does anyone have tips or pointers on how to go about starting such a business?

Many thanks.

You don't happen to live in Western Washington do you? I'd love to find a business partner and do something like this. Sorry I don't have any pointers for you, but I want to encourage you to go for it!

Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

Thanks for the advice, I live in Western NY. It seems as though there might be a niche market here, there is so little available that tastes good, and it really is possible!

debb!

would you consider doing a business with me?!

Gluten-free, Vegan

I'm from WNY - where are you located?

I just wanted to wish you well! We have a Celiac baker near us... and I don't know what I'd do without her. I'm so NOT good in the kitchen... at least, not with baked goods!

Jayhawkmom -

Mom of three....

Jay - 11

Bean - 8

Ian - 3