• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Jeepster

Why Does My Tongue Sizzle From Dairy?

Rate this topic

I've noticed over the last few years as my celiac disease progressed to the point of being diagnosed from the increasing symptoms, I've had more and more problems with dairy. The most obvious symptom is a stomach ache, and often loose BM's, but now my tongue actually feels like it is sizzling, or mildly burning, when I eat it. Milk and ice cream are more noticeable, but hard cheeses can cause this too. What is happening in physiological terms?

It sounds most likely like an allergy - a true food allergy. You may want to get tested, and be cautious with dairy, as true allergies can increase with exposure.

I get that with certain foods that I have oral allergies to. Burning tingling. I get it with Kiwis, mangos and cherries. Its a freaky feeling.

Could be Oral Allergy Syndrome. I used to get that burning feeling on my upper lip after eating nuts.

Oral Allergy Syndrome (OAS), also called the

Ok so I noticed the burning feeling on my tongue and my bottom lip within 30 mins of eating melted cheese at a Mexican restaurant. And then lil sores appeared on my lip. I have never had this reaction before. Is this normal cause I am freaking out a bit?

Edited by Tammi83
Mispelled

Sounds like an allergic reaction to me. Allergies can develop at any time in life.  They can also get suddenly worse at any point.  Stronger reactions that is.  I suggest you try some other diary product in just a tiny amount and see if you react.   You may have to give up all dairy.  A trip to the allergist might be a good idea.