Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kassie

Effects Of Music

i'm doing a project on different types of music and the effects they have on people. is anyone an expert here or have any useful information. it would really help. i dont want to bore you out so if any one has info please post. thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Soft music lullabys or just soft instrumentals are very relaxing, I can be having a hard time falling asleep and using a soft music celiac disease will help me drift off. Is this the kind of help you are looking for?

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif

I have a couple of degrees in music, and play professionally, not that that makes me any more of an expert than anyone else who loves music! The most musically knowledgeable person I ever met played only one thing--the radio!

I do remember reading a study in college. Rats were the subject, and they were in cages. One cage had Mozart piped in, one had late Schoenberg (very odd-sounding, 20th century orchestral music with no discernable melody but with lots of beeping and bapping) piped in, and the control group had no music at all.

The control group, as expected, was totally normal. The Mozart rats grew larger and performed far better on Rat Intelligence tests. The Schoenberg rats went bonkers, trying to bite each other and the glass walls of their cage.

Hmmmmmm.

heh... my ipod playlists are designed by tempo - mellow uptempo, happy upbeat, loud and fast, chillout. :)

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

music therapy is used with children affected by autism to help with sensory integration.

Sandy

I have included a site and brief bits from it:

http://www.autism.org/music.html

Music Therapy is particularly useful with autistic children owing in part to the nonverbal, non threatening nature of the medium. Parallel music activities are designed to support the objectives of the child as observed by the therapist or as indicated by a parent, teacher or other professional. A music therapist might observe, for instance, the child's need to socially interact with others. Musical games like passing a ball back and forth to music or playing sticks and cymbals with another person might be used to foster this interaction.

Music Therapy is particularly effective in the development and remediation of speech. The severe deficit in communication observed among autistic children includes expressive speech which may be nonexistent or impersonal. Speech can range from complete mutism to grunts, cries, explosive shrieks, guttural sounds, and humming.

There may be musically intoned vocalizations with some consonant-vowel combinations, a sophisticated babbling interspersed with vaguely recognizable word-like sounds, or a seemingly foreign sounding jargon. Higher level autistic speech may involve echolalia, delayed echolalia or pronominal reversal, while some children may progress to appropriate phrases, sentences, and longer sentences with non expressive or monotonic speech. Since autistic children are often mainstreamed into music classes in the public schools, a music teacher may experience the rewards of having an autistic child involved in music activities while assisting with language.

Sandy

Type 1 diabetes - 1986

hypothyroid -1993

pernicious anemia

premature atrial beats

neuropathy

retinopathy

daughter is: age 15

central hypotonia and developmental delay

balance issues (rides an adult 3 wheel bike)

hypothyroid 1996

dermatographia - a form of angioedema 2002

celiac 2004 - by endoscopy

diagnosed Aspergers at age 7 - responded very well (HUGE difference) to gluten-free diet

recovered from Kawasaki (2003)

lactose intolerant - figured out in Oct/06

Gilberts syndrome (April/07)

allergy to stinging insects

scoliosis Jan 2008

nightshade intolerance - figured out April 2008

allergy to Sulfa antibiotics

son is 13

type 1 diabetic - 2003 diagnosed on his 9th birthday

celiac - 2004 by endoscopy

lactose intolerant - figured out Nov/06

Merchandisers use music in stores the same way as the rats in the experiment. Calm, happy music produced more sales; wild erratic music drove shoppers away : subconsciously.

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

So true Deb, if I go into a store that is playing rap music, I leave--it makes me nervous, I can't concentrate, and I become aggitated, like those rats!!!!!

I love country music and find it keeps me focused. We are all different.

I am a member of many spiritual forums and I have learned that music can talk to us. Angels can send us messages through music. When the same song keeps running through your mind, over and over, there is a message in it.

It's all good.

Deb

Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

When my kids were really young and I couldn't calm them I would play classical music and it would truely soothe and calm them down within minutes. There was one exception...my middle son, Josh. He could be in the middle of the worst temper tantrum, screaming fit ever and as soon as he heard Cheryl Crowe "All I wanna do is have some fun" he would stop immediately and be happy and laughing by the end of the song. I always found that so bizarre and it would just crack me up to see that transformation happen.

Also I noticed that when a store I once worked in played the oldies (50's, 60's ect) on the radio the customers were sooo much more happy and so were the employees. How could you not be happy listening to that, it is wonderful music. Hey maybe that is the way to solve all the needless violence that goes on, banish all the new music and only play oldies!

Amy

Diagnosed by biopsy with DH August 2005

Diagnosed with hypo-thyroidism December 2005

Diagnosed by biopsy with Celiac July 2006