Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Katie,

There are two possibilities in this situation. Acidopholous is a probiotic, and they can help to get rid of bad bacteria and toxins from your intestine. This cleansing process can last for 2-10 days, and cause cramping, bloating, headache, diarrhea, and constipation. Even though it is uncomfortable, in the end it is a good thing. I went through this process about a month ago, and even though it was rough for a few days, I felt better than ever in the end.

The other possibility is that your products are not gluten-free. Unless they clearly state they are allergen-free, it is a risk to take them. If you suspect gluten, call the manufacturers to see if it is included in the ingredients. You should also ask if the processing plant produces gluten products.

I'm actually going through a situation like this right now. I bought some L-Glutamine that my nutritionist recommended, and felt sick after taking it. I called the manufacturer, who told me half-heartedly that it was gluten-free. I know now that it does have gluten in it, but I've gone through hell because someone gave me the wrong information. So if you do end up calling the manufacturer, make sure you speak with someone who knows what they are talking about. I hope you feel better. Good luck.

-Brian

Celiac Sprue

Multiple Food Allergies

Diagnosed June 2006

Stopped Eating June 2007

IV Nutrition: 6/27/07 - Present

Do you have any other sensitivies or allergies? I am allergic to onions, and I found out that I was getting sick as they were a filler in one of mine.

I agree about the aforementioned acidophilus. Mine, for example, gives instruction to 'ease' into it.

Gluten-free, Vegan

I vaguely recall iron supplements can cause problems, but I don't know the specifics.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

Aside from double-checking to see that your supplements are in fact gluten-free.......Be careful with taking Iron. Some people don't excrete the excess Iron and it builds in the body's cells and can cause all kinds of bad things to the internal organs.

Best of Luck,

Cleveland Bob ;)

"Dreams Are What The Future Is Made Of"

Endoscopy & Blood Work Positive.....

gluten-free Since December 2004.....

Soy Intolerant August 2007......

Katie,

I would keep taking them at least for a few more days. If they still bother you, try a different type of probiotic. I use HLC probiotics and they work very well. I would say if you're not getting any better after ten days, switch and see if you feel better. Good luck,

-Brian

Celiac Sprue

Multiple Food Allergies

Diagnosed June 2006

Stopped Eating June 2007

thanks for all your answers!! it has definately eased my mind! but do i continue taking the acidopholous? the effects of D are definately starting. i barely could finish dinner before i had to go to the bathroom... (yuck!! sorry for TMI!) my dinner was gluten-free, my supplements are all gluten-free. do you suggest i continue taking them? the acidopholous is about a 30 day supply...do i finish the bottle? or only take it for 2 weeks? i decided on my own to take them because i hear how good they are for ppl with celiac disease.

A bit of D is normal for probiotics ... but you shouldn't be taking significant amounts of iron unless you are deficient... its the number one killer suppliment. (literally killer)

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

HLC probiotics are powerful, allergen-free, human derived probiotics. The HLC Intensives have up to 30 billion active cultures per capsule. They also have a line on special probiotics for celiacs called Mindlinx. They have special bacteria that can help to break down gluten and casein in case of accidental ingestion. I get them from RockwellNutrition.com. The service is awesome there.

-Brian

Celiac Sprue

Multiple Food Allergies

Diagnosed June 2006

Stopped Eating June 2007

Hey Katie

Are you still taking the probiotics?

I had mad cramping, gas, and some D when I first started taking probiotics. I used to take VSL#3 until I found out I had trouble with dairy. I now take Custom Probiotic's 6 strain blend which has about 270 billion CFU's in a one gram scoop. I know that when I dont take it for a while and then take it I do get D that will last for a few days, but probiotics will most likely help you in the long run. If you still feel crappy for about 2 weeks I would reconsider (either get a new one or just quit them all together for a while).

Dx'd with Ulcerative Colitis March 05

New GI doctor not convinced I have UC but maybe Microscopic Colitis

Dx'd With gluten and casien sensativity through Enterolab

Gluten score was 40 and casein score was 16.

Ready to feel better through a gluten-free/CF diet!

GO TERPS

i'm on prescription iron pills for anemia and it has made my diarrhea 10x worse -- i've tried 2 types -- one severely constipated me, the other increased my diarrhea -- i opted to keep using the one that caused diarrhea b/c i couldn't stand the stomach/back cramps from the other. good luck and hope you find out what's causing your problems!

For the last year I have had several suppliments suggested by my doctor. All except l-glutamine, coQ10, and probiotics have made me ill.

A couple weeks ago I did a spectracell analysis. Doc says I am missing the trinsic factors that make the body able to utilize the vitamins and minerals. Normal blood tests showed adequate levels but when checked, the body is unable to use several.

This condition causes the body to reject oral suppliments.

I begin injections today. Hope this helps.

Many people may tell you that this is a "cleansing process." I don't believe this one bit. I took a very expensive powdered probiotic blend (no additives/no cellulose capsules/no lactose-derived bacteria/etc) and I reacted very badly to it. My entire body went into immune response mode. I became very anxious, had muscle cramps, acne, headache, the works.

Think about it: you are introduce foreign bacteria into your body. In theory, it will do good things like balance your gut flora and make your digestive issues more bearable. But in practice, your body may react to the bacteria as foreign and may launch an immune response against it. I believe the possibility of a negative response is particularly a risk for people whose bodies are already dealing with gluten/food allergy issues.