Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

maddycat

Perpertually Swolen Glands- No More!

I just noticed that I no longer have swolen glands in my neck- they have always been swolen, since I was a child. I've been on the gluten-free diet for 6 months now. Could the diet change have made this happen? I was even told when I was younger that it was scar tissue and they weren't "really" swolen- now I just noticed that I can't feel them at all anymore!

Anyone else experience this change with the diagnosis and diet change?

Marcia-

Diagnosed Celiac based on equivocal results on blood seriology tests, did not have a biopsy due to already eating gluten free (I didn't know any better at the time to keep eating gluten until all tests could be done).

Diagnosis came 3 months after the birth of my first child at age 31 (I believe childbirth was my trigger).

Gluten Free since 8/06

Genetic testing revealed:

I have one copy of DQ2 (DQA1 05/DQB1 02)

Son- 3 years old, so far not showing any signs of digestive issues and does eat gluten- fingers crossed!

Second baby born after I have been gluten free for 2 1/2 years- a healthy boy weighing in at 9 pounds at birth!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I always used to have swollen glands, on the back of my neck, under my chin, behind my ears, and often in my armpits, too. Many times they also hurt terribly. Now they are very rarely swollen. It is a very noticeable difference for sure.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didnt notice it with the children..but there is a logical reason it would be connected.

A celiac (who didnt know they were celiac) eating gluten would be constantly challenging the immune system - it would be in high gear all the time. The lymph system is connected everywhere in your body by hundreds of nodes. The lymphoctes produce antibodies (certain types of lymphocytes) and are the "ones called upon" by the body to mount an attack on an invader (virus, bacteria .... gluten)...thus swelling the nodes. After going gluten free, the constant alert staus disappears and the nodes quiet down.

Since each of us is unique, this would not be seen in every person, so it will be interesting to see how many respond with a similar experience.

Sandy

Sandy

Type 1 diabetes - 1986

hypothyroid -1993

pernicious anemia

premature atrial beats

neuropathy

retinopathy

daughter is: age 15

central hypotonia and developmental delay

balance issues (rides an adult 3 wheel bike)

hypothyroid 1996

dermatographia - a form of angioedema 2002

celiac 2004 - by endoscopy

diagnosed Aspergers at age 7 - responded very well (HUGE difference) to gluten-free diet

recovered from Kawasaki (2003)

lactose intolerant - figured out in Oct/06

Gilberts syndrome (April/07)

allergy to stinging insects

scoliosis Jan 2008

nightshade intolerance - figured out April 2008

allergy to Sulfa antibiotics

son is 13

type 1 diabetic - 2003 diagnosed on his 9th birthday

celiac - 2004 by endoscopy

lactose intolerant - figured out Nov/06

Hi,

I still have swollen glands everywhere (am pretty new to this and still having problems). Most noticeable in my neck (not tonsils though), and groin etc. I can even palpate nodules in my lower abdomen. Have asked my endo about it and he did peripheral smear (to check for abnormal cells), but that was normal and then he lost interest.

Haven't asked my new doctor (allergy dr) about this yet. I will ask her when I go back to see her with all the test results...

But it does make sense... if our immune systems are in constant overdrive against something...

It is very reassuring to know that others also have this. I can't wait to see if they disappear in time....

Sally

Sally

Aussie living in Philippines, Manager, Triathlete, Mum to 2 dogs, 2 cats & fish

___________________________________________________________________________________

Hypothyroid, diag. 2000, desicated thryoid 3 grains + T4 50 mcg.

Pituitary adenoma, 2002 - no treatment (no followup yet)

Polycystic, 2000 - no treatment

IBD by biopsy - end 2006 (cause not investigated)

Suspected Gluten intolerant/celiac - not diagnosed

Gluten Free - start Dec 06 (big improvement in tummy troubles, though still not 100%..)

Allergies suspected to Rice, Mango, Chicken, some fish (though testing)... still trying to work it all out.