Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

unaspenser

I'm New To Everything!

Hi there, I'm new to the forum and thought I should say hello. My fiance was just diagnosed with celiac's. He's been asked not to change his diet quite yet since they want to do an endoscopy and some more tests, but soon things will undergo a big shift. I make homemade bread and pasta on a regular basis, and I'm certainly interested in how to change my cooking to help him (though I don't think I'm going to go gluten-free myself). This looks like a fabulous and very useful forum, so I'm looking forward to getting involved!

Fiance diagnosed with celiac Feb. 1, 2007. Learning a new way of life!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi and welcome!!!

Glad you found us, I'm not a coeliac but my hubby and son are.

This group has lots of great info and ideas so hope we will be seeing more of you after your fiances' biopsy!! :):)

It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required - Sir Winston Churchill

Nikki

Son diagnosed with Coeliac Disease Oct 2006 by biopsy (at age 13yrs)

black_cat.gif

Hi there, I'm new to the forum and thought I should say hello. My fiance was just diagnosed with celiac's. He's been asked not to change his diet quite yet since they want to do an endoscopy and some more tests, but soon things will undergo a big shift. I make homemade bread and pasta on a regular basis, and I'm certainly interested in how to change my cooking to help him (though I don't think I'm going to go gluten-free myself). This looks like a fabulous and very useful forum, so I'm looking forward to getting involved!

Hello, and welcome to the board. It's great that you want to learn how to change things over.

If you will still be baking 'gluten' products, you will need to keep all that "floating" flour in mind. Flour tends to coat everything :( Also, gluten free baking should not be done in your old pans, as the corners are impossible to clean properly.

As for pasta, there is a rice pasta called Tinkyada that is very good :P

It really is a huge learning curve, but you have come to the right place. There is a lot of super people on this forum.

Nini has a "newbe" kit. I'm sure someone here can give you the link to it.

Shirley

[save the Earth, It's the only planet with chocolate and wine.

It isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...

It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Gluten free since 1989

West Kootenay.... British Columbia

Thanks to both of you. This seems like such a great resource. My fiance's Scottish and I'm American, and I'm heading over to the states soon to get set up for our marriage and move to the U.S. I think that'll be a great opportunity to start fresh with a gluten-free kitchen. We'll be living near my family so I can always go to mom's house if I need need need to bake some wheat bread (I have those days).

I'd love to get my hands on Nini's newbie kit. I saw it suggested to someone else, but I haven't managed to track it down yet.

Fiance diagnosed with celiac Feb. 1, 2007. Learning a new way of life!

To find Nini's website:

Click on Members and type in Nini. That will bring you to her personal profile page. There you will find Nini's web, click on and enjoy all her hard work. It truly has been so helpful to people just starting out. I have appreciated her effort.

Lisa

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

You should check out The Gluten Free Gourmet cookbook. It's the best cookbook I've found. I've never made a bread, cake or cookie that isn't yummy from it.

Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.

Peanut-Free since July 2006.

Welcome!

I would also recommend reading Gluten Free for Dummies by D. Korn.

She is very knowledgeable and the book is written in an "easy to follow" way.

I just got a new cookbook for X-mas called "Gluten Free Bread Baking" - I haven't used it, but that is only because I am scared of my bread machine...

:)