Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Electra

Biopsy Results Are In!

Well I just got my biopsy results and I definitely have Celiac Disease. It's so nice to have a confimed diagnosis.

Even after being gluten free for almost 4 weeks my biopsy was positive. Here is what the letter from my doctor says.

Dear Angela,

The biopsy of your duodenum showed changes consistant with Celiac Sprue, although they were fairly mild. I would encourage you to continue on your diet and to continue your "detective work" when trying new foods. As I suggested at the time of the endoscopy, I think we should repeat your tissue transglutaminase (the blood test for celiac sprue) in four to six weeks to see how you are doing.

A lab slip was included with the letter so that I can have my blood re-drawn sometime between 2/28 & 3/14 to see if my antibody levels are decreasing.

WOW it's such a relief to finally know with 100% certainty what my issue is.

Thank you so much to everyone here who has given me support time and time again. I would never have made it through this without this board.

~~Angie~~

DX'd With Narcolepsy In 1995

Dx'ed With Celiac On 12-18-06

Positive Biopsy On 2-1-07

DX'd With Pernicious Anemia 4-24-07

Daughter Has DH, so I suspect she also has Celiac!!

"If Alcoholism was Celiac Disease they would make us drink ourselves into kidney failure before they would admit we had the disease"

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I am happy that you have an answer. Even when a diagnosis is scary it is still better then the unknown.

I had a biopsy done last month that was "suggestive" of Celiac. I had blood work done last week and it all came back normal. So I am truly confused. I see my gastro next week so hopefully she'll shed some light. If I do have it, I want it to come back with flying colors. At this point I am almost hoping it is Celiac so that I don't have to go on wondering what the hell is wrong with me!

Good luck!

Jillian

Pearland, Tx by way of Lafayette, LA

Positive Biopsy - Dec 06

gluten-free - Jan 07

I am happy that you have an answer. Even when a diagnosis is scary it is still better then the unknown.

I had a biopsy done last month that was "suggestive" of Celiac. I had blood work done last week and it all came back normal. So I am truly confused. I see my gastro next week so hopefully she'll shed some light. If I do have it, I want it to come back with flying colors. At this point I am almost hoping it is Celiac so that I don't have to go on wondering what the hell is wrong with me!

Good luck!

Hmmmmmm I don't get how a biopsy can be suggestive of celiac? Isn't a positive a definite positive? Maybe it was negative, but he saw signs that there had been damage there? I'd be confused to. Are you still on gluten? If not then chances are that your blood tests would come back perfectly normal. Good Luck and I really hope you get some answers soon. The worst part is not knowing :(!!

~~Angie~~

"If Alcoholism was Celiac Disease they would make us drink ourselves into kidney failure before they would admit we had the disease"

Hi Angie,

I'm glad you got your answer. We're here for you :)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Nice to get a 100% answer like that. Know what it is for sure.

One Celiac gene and one gluten intolerance gene (HLA-DQ 2,1).

Grain free, casein free, soy/legume free + a bunch of allergies I have had since I was a child (stone fruits, nuts..carrots)

Following the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, but no nuts, legumes or casein.

Good luck!

I feel your pain. I have not been able to get a confirmed diagnosis, but the diet works for me so.....

Good luck

Peggy

"The only thing constant in life is change"

Celiac not confirmed, but positive results with diet change

Gluten free since 10/06

Awesome for you!!!! I think this is a sign to be encouraging to people when seeking a diagnosis. It makes things soooo much easier and I'm glad you feel better. Way to go!! It also goes to show that there are many wonderful doctors out there! So happy for you and your family!!!

I glad you have the answer finally.

Deb

Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

Thank you everyone for your encouraging answers and thoughts. I'm so glad I fianlly know what I'm up against and the diet is working very well for me so far. My entire household is beginning to change for the better. Thank you so much to everyone here who has helped me through my panic stages.

I really wish everyone could get a diagnosis as easily as I did, but I do not wish that everyone had to go through the pain and sickness that I went through. I feel so badly for those that can't seem to get it in writing. It's not really that "important" for most of us, but it is truely a HUGE relief just to have it confirmed. I know I would have stayed gluten free no matter what, but It's just so much easier to do it diligently when I KNOW with 100% certainly what the consequences will be if I don't stick to the diet.

Good Luck to everyone here!! For those of you who haven't been able to get a difinitive diagnosis I just want to let you know that you guys are AWESOME for recognizing it and sticking with what you know if right for you. Too bad doctors wouldn't just diagnose you on symptoms and diet changes alone. Maybe some day that will be possible, but until then hopefully we'll all continue to educate others on Celiac.

~~Angie~~