This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Are There Any Companies That Are Completely Gluten Free ?

marciab

marciab Enthusiast

I am tired of playing Russian Roulette with gluten ... I got nailed really bad last Saturday from Back to Nature Rice crackers ... At one point the company rep told me that they were gluten free ....

Soooo, does anyone know of a company is gluten free or companies with dedicated lines that NEVER have gluten on them ?

Thanks ... Marcia

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

Yep... Enjoy Life!!

enjoylifefoods.com - no gluten, EVER. =)

gfp Enthusiast
I am tired of playing Russian Roulette with gluten ... I got nailed really bad last Saturday from Back to Nature Rice crackers ... At one point the company rep told me that they were gluten free ....

Soooo, does anyone know of a company is gluten free or companies with dedicated lines that NEVER have gluten on them ?

Thanks ... Marcia

Part of the problem is the raw materials and their transport ... for instace even if the line is using 100GF stuff they can still be contaminated in transport...

unfortunately the better quality smaller outfits also suffer from this aspect perhaps worse than huge oners, specially local shops who suply thier own because the transporter for bulk flour,rice etc. is often reused , unfrotunately I found the best way is usually finding a uncontaminated source and then making my own stuff like rice crackers...

marciab Enthusiast

Jayhawkmom,

Thanks for replying .... I checked out enjoylifefoods and it is exactly what I am looking for. I didn't see any crackers though ??? And unfortunately, from what I saw, I would have to travel 45 minutes to find a place that carries them, but I'm going to check with my local health food store anyway ... Are the bagels any good ? Do they have yeast ? I forgot to check ... Do you like their chocolate chips ?

Part of the problem is the raw materials and their transport ... for instace even if the line is using 100GF stuff they can still be contaminated in transport...

unfortunately the better quality smaller outfits also suffer from this aspect perhaps worse than huge oners, specially local shops who suply thier own because the transporter for bulk flour,rice etc. is often reused , unfrotunately I found the best way is usually finding a uncontaminated source and then making my own stuff like rice crackers...

gfp ... I'm not sure what you mean by transport ? Are you saying they transport wheat (gluten) and rice in the same containers from time to time ? That's not good ...

Can you please tell me the name of an uncontaminated source and a recipe for rice crackers ?

Thanks ... marcia

Viola 1 Rookie

Kinnikinnick is a totally gluten free factory. You can find them on the web as well.

jukie Rookie

The Enjoy Life chocolate chips are the only chocolate I've been able to eat since they are gluten, casein, and soy free...they are AWESOME!!! Can't help you with the cracker problem as I've yet to find one that's really satisfying. And I haven't tried the Enjoy Life bagels but would be interested to hear if others have.

marciab Enthusiast

Shirley,

Thanks. I checked out the Kinninickickickckck... :blink: but they have a lot of other allergens in their products and I am still on the fence about soy, dairy, etc. I will keep them in mind though ... I've seen others here who love their foods ....

Jukie,

Thanks for replying .... I have got to get some of those chips .. I live in FL so my best bet is to find a store that carries them instead of ordering them online ... ROAD TRIP !!!

Does anyone know if Bob's or Pamela's uses designated lines ? ... I know they both produce glutenny foods as well as gluten free foods ... I really want to stop eating any and all gluten ... Thanks

Marcia

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

Glutino's bakery in Laval, QC (suburb of Montreal) is a gluten-free facility. Some products sold under the Glutino brand name are made for them by somebody else (the pretzels are the example that I can think of). I have complete faith in the gluten-free status of their products. Open Original Shared Link.

happygirl Collaborator

Marcia,

I also LOVE their chocolate chips :) They are great!

I've had both Enjoy Life bagels as well as Kinninnick. I prefer Kinni's taste, but they really were both good, IMO. Enjoy life makes a lot of products that I have enjoyed.

I'm sorry you were glutened :(

Whole Foods has a gluten free bakery that only makes their own gluten free products. Not sure if you have those near you...but they prob have other allergens in them, as well.

You might want to check out allergygrocer.com. They are pretty good about listing information about conditions under products are made.

Laura

jayhawkmom Enthusiast
Jayhawkmom,

Thanks for replying .... I checked out enjoylifefoods and it is exactly what I am looking for. I didn't see any crackers though ???

The chocolate chips are good, and I really like the cinnamon raisin bagels. (so does my toddler!) =)

As far as crackers... I honestly don't know. We eat Ener G crackers. I just found them online... and it says they are free from gluten, wheat, casein, dairy, egg, nut, low protein, rice. Though...they do contain soy. My daughter and I love those things.

Lots of luck, I really hope you find some that you like!! =)

Felidae Enthusiast
Thanks. I checked out the Kinninickickickckck... :blink: but they have a lot of other allergens in their products and I am still on the fence about soy, dairy, etc. I will keep them in mind though ... I've seen others here who love their foods ....

Kinnikinnick does have a number of casein free items too. But, you're right they do use soy in many of their products.

Yenni Enthusiast
Yep... Enjoy Life!!

enjoylifefoods.com - no gluten, EVER. =)

I LOVE their stuff! If it wasn't for the Very Berry Bars I wouldn't have survived. I eat TONS of those.

Sweetfudge Community Regular
I really want to stop eating any and all gluten ...

lol don't we all!!! what are the best glutino products? i really like what i've tried of theirs so far.

and what about those crackers? i have a decent recipe for cheezit-like crackers, but in my opinion, they're only really good the day i make them....

also, anyone ever tried glutino's crackers? looking on site, wondering if i should give them a try....

jukie Rookie
Does anyone know if Bob's or Pamela's uses designated lines ? ... I know they both produce glutenny foods as well as gluten free foods ... I really want to stop eating any and all gluten ...

I have used (and enjoyed) Pamela's Wheat Free Bread Mix several times without any problems. As for Bob's Red Mill, their product(s) have majorly glutened me twice now, so I'm done with them. Please note that these comments reflect my personal experiences only and are not based on their manufacturing processes.

gfp Enthusiast
gfp ... I'm not sure what you mean by transport ? Are you saying they transport wheat (gluten) and rice in the same containers from time to time ? That's not good ...

What I mean is that bulk food transport usually takes place in dedicated trucks but only dedicated to food grade. Basically yopu have wet transports and dry ones and meats etc are seperate refrigerated ones.

Huge companies own their own but smaller companies buy from suppliers who ship bulk ingredients, be it rice or wheat.

They don't really wash them very often because that would mean getting the insides of the containers wet and the insides are quite compex since 15T of bulk produce or liquid can't be left to roll about so they tend to just empty them out (mostly) and add the new dry product.

marciab Enthusiast

I copied in statements from each gluten-free facilities website ...

www.Pamelasproducts.com

Pamela's gluten-free cookies and mixes are produced on 100% dedicated gluten-free machinery.

Pamela's Products have been formulated and produced to be wheat-free and gluten-free. Our products are produced in a facility which also makes products containing: peanuts, tree nuts, dairy, eggs and soy. Should you have any questions or concerns regarding any product in the Pamela's line, please contact us at: Phone 707-462-6605 or email info@pamelasproducts.com.

www.Enjoylifefoods.com ...

Our products are formulated to be gluten-free and free of the 8 most common allergens. Our products are manufactured in a dedicated gluten-free and nut-free bakery. Our ingredient suppliers are required to complete non-contamination certificates. Ingredients are additionally tested (based on product) for gluten, casein, peanut, and soy protein. Equipment is cleaned thoroughly after product and flavor changes. Enjoy Life employees understand the severity of food allergies and intolerances, and take every precaution to protect our customers.

OUR PRODUCTS CONTAIN NO:

wheat/gluten

dairy

peanuts

tree nuts

egg

soy

fish

shellfish

Also made without other common triggers of intolerance:

corn, casein, potato, sulfites or sesame.

Glutino's - www.glutino.com

GLUTINO MISSION STATEMENT

Glutino is committed to helping people who have Celiac disease, and other food intolerances, live healthy, normal lives. We will achieve this goal by supplying the safest, best tasting and widest variety of gluten-free products to those who need them. We will always guarantee superior quality and strive to make all of our product lines easily accessible to all of our customers.

At Glutino, safety is our number one concern and as such no product will ever be part of the Glutino product offering unless it meets or exceeds strict safety criteria. As part of our commitment to enabling a healthy lifestyle, we stringently enforce a zero tolerance rule and require that both our own products and our suppliers' products comply. The Glutino name shall guarantee all Glutino product consumers the most secure, gluten-free products in the industry. At Glutino we pledge to seek out and manufacture extremely high quality products so that when choosing a Glutino product, our customers can always be sure they are eating safe and healthy food.

At Glutino we understand that living with a food intolerance can be an obstacle to enjoying a normal, easy lifestyle. We are committed to revolutionizing this by supplying customers with the widest variety of products, plus convenience-oriented services, so that those on a restricted diet can benefit from the choice and flexibility enjoyed by the rest of the world. We will do everything we can to make our products readily and easily available. We are also committed to importing and producing only the best tasting gluten-free products so that living with a specialized diet can become not only manageable, but flavorful and exciting.

In our mission to provide the safest, tastiest, high quality gluten-free product line in the industry, Glutino will both manufacture its own products in Canada as well as import a variety of products from manufacturers around the world.

www.Kinnikinnick.com

Welcome To Kinnikinnick

We have been making Gluten Free And Casein Free Foods in our dedicated gluten free facility since 1991.

We offer one of the largest selections of gluten free foods in the world. We look forward to serving you and providing you with safe and tasty products.

www.bobsredmill.com

Bob

Felidae Enthusiast
Is there a company that has baked gluten free potato chips ? Is plain Baked Lays really safe ?????? Or was that Stax ?

Lays Stax are the only ones made in a separate facility.

marciab Enthusiast

gfp,

Thanks, I understand now why they tell you not to buy food out of the bins at health food stores too. I think the nuts I buy are safe because they are located in bins where you have to push up on a piece that slides up to let the product pour out untouched ... no scoops and noone can touch the nuts... I'll stop buying from the lower bins with scoops though ....

Can anyone please tell me the name of an uncontaminated source and a recipe for rice crackers ?

This is bothering me ---- According to Bob, there gluten free line is safe, but some here have been glutenned by his products. Can you tell me if that was from one of his products that was labelled gluten free ? Their website says these are the only safe ones he makes ....

And has anyone ever been glutenned by Pamela's, Kinnikinnick, Glutinos, Ener G, Enjoy Life or Whole Foods ??? Just wanting to make completely sure these are safe ...

Oh and has anyone been glutenned by Lay's Stax ....... I just looked them up and they said Stax are safe, but to check with them on recipe changes ... How often does this kind of thing happen ??

.......THANKS .. Marcia

Felidae Enthusiast
And has anyone ever been glutenned by Pamela's, Kinnikinnick, Glutinos, Ener G, Enjoy Life or Whole Foods ??? Just wanting to make completely sure these are safe ...

Oh and has anyone been glutenned by Lay's Stax ....... I just looked them up and they said Stax are safe, but to check with them on recipe changes ... How often does this kind of thing happen ??

.......THANKS .. Marcia

I have never been glutened by Kinnikinnick. Their staff are not even allowed to eat gluten. They have to eat gluten-free lunches.

I've only eaten the plain Lays Stax and have not had any problems.

I only eat Glutino pretzels and I have never had any problems.

marciab Enthusiast

Thanks .. I have been jonesing for some chips ... the others I'll have to hunt down at a health food store or online ... Marcia

Felidae

On a scale of 1 to 10, how sensitive are you ? I don't think I can do this to myself again anytime soon ... :unsure:

Gentleheart Enthusiast

Had a long conversation with Bob's some time back. Here's what I concluded. They DO have a separate area where they grind and package all the things that don't contain gluten. BUT, included in that are soy products, corn products, probably yeast products and all other diverse items they carry which are gluten free. They use stones to grind everything that they do themselves. I asked her how the stones were cleaned and she said by thorough brushing. So I questioned as to whether there COULD be miniscule residue on them and she said yes, but never anything gluten. Now if a person is ONLY allergic to gluten, they should be OK in theory, because Bob's is really trying hard to do a good job. BUT if a person is ALSO allergic to corn or soy or yeast or rice or other items here and there which are not particularly gluten issues, then it's possible that reactions are occuring because of that. I have multiple allergies, am not getting any better and have concluded that I reluctantly need to move on to another company. My little local grocery stores only carry Bob's, so I'm going to have to survive with mail order. Very inconvenient!

My personal question along these lines is: Are there any other companies who carry as wide a range of alternative ingredients (guar gum, cassava flour, buckwheat flour, tapioca flour, arrowroot starch, potato starch, etc.) as Bob's does?? Let's face it, they DO have a great line. It's going to be hard to get everything from different companies.

Viola 1 Rookie

Hard Bite potato chips are made in a gluten free building.

They are made on the West coast of British Columbia, so I don't know if you can buy them in the US or not. Maybe check out there web site.

marciab Enthusiast

Viola,

I googled hard bite potato chips and came up with this website ...

www.homegrownfoods.com/faq.htm

But, I can't see where they say they are gluten free ... Can you tell me if this is the right site ? Do the bags say they are gluten free ? Thanks ... marcia

Gentle heart -

Thanks for the info about Bob's. I'll have to check this out next time I'm feeling invincible .... ;)

"Are there any other companies who carry as wide a range of alternative ingredients (guar gum, cassava flour, buckwheat flour, tapioca flour, arrowroot starch, potato starch, etc.) as Bob's does?? Let's face it, they DO have a great line. It's going to be hard to get everything from different companies. "

Good question ... I haven't done much baking yet, so I don't know who else makes these ... Hopefully someone else knows though ... I did find this though ...

Ener G makes several cooking ingredients, such as

Xanthan Gum - Free Of

gluten, wheat, casein, dairy, egg, yeast, soy, nut, low protein, rice, potato

5.93 oz package Price $11.55

I'm not recommending them since I have never tried it, but it's good to know it's there ...

Marcia

JayT Rookie

You could try Blue Diamond Nut-Thin crackers...they are really good and can be found at most grocery stores.

-Jay

Guhlia Rising Star

Kinnikinnick makes the BEST bagels, breads, cinnamon rolls, and cookies. Their flours are very good as well if you're into baking. I personally don't care for anything Ener-G foods makes, especially their bagels.

Lays Stax are made on dedicated lines, but not in a dedicated facility. Some have reported feeling glutened after eating them. Gibbles potato chips are made in a dedicated factory. I have had great success with them. Glutino pretzels are very good, especially with peanut butter. :)

Archived