Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

misoman

Newbie!

Hello, I'm 11 days into a gluten-free diet and was wondering if you guys could answer some of my questions?

1. he said the serology was 50/50, but with my background he was pretty certain. - help?

he ordered a prometheus celiac gene test (pending), what should I expect?

are there various "degrees" of celiac? I read this blog (glutenfreegirl.com) where this woman could get sick with just breadcrumbs, does that mean that if I have celiac I am that way as well? Also, how do I tell how sensitive I am? just eat gluten once and see how it goes?

Thanks, I know, many questions!

Miso!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hello and Welcome!

I'll try answering some of your questions...

Not, sure about the serology, but if your doctor thinks it's a yes given your history, I'd say that's a pretty good indication.

As far as the gene test...the gene test will tell you if you carry the genes that are most associated with Celiac, but it is still possible to be sensitive to gluten even if you don't carry the gene.

IMHO there are no degrees of celiac. If you are celiac then any and all gluten will damage the intestines. Some people are more "reactive" to smaller amounts than other people are, but that doesn't mean that in those who don't react the damage isn't being done. And also IMHO, even if you are not celiac but are gluten sensitive, your body is being damaged in other ways by eating any amount of gluten.

Again welcome to the boards!

Hello, I'm 11 days into a gluten-free diet and was wondering if you guys could answer some of my questions?

1. he said the serology was 50/50, but with my background he was pretty certain. - help?

he ordered a prometheus celiac gene test (pending), what should I expect?

are there various "degrees" of celiac? I read this blog (glutenfreegirl.com) where this woman could get sick with just breadcrumbs, does that mean that if I have celiac I am that way as well? Also, how do I tell how sensitive I am? just eat gluten once and see how it goes?

Thanks, I know, many questions!

Miso!

Welcome.

Everyone has a little different genetic make up different and everyone comes to the table so to speak with different degrees of damage done and healing to be done. When I first started on this diet I heard about the bread crumbs and it was hard to imagine but the more I heal the more things I notice. Partly because I was so used to being sick.

I don't have experience with the blood tests but I'm sure someone else can speak to that.

I assume from your screen name that you like miso. I love it but please be aware that it is generally not safe for celiacs because the koji yeast is sometimes grown on barley or a combo of barley and soybeans.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Thanks both of you! Well, I tried what I postulated to you and I ate a small piece of brownie w/gluten - BOY, that was bad! within 2 hrs I was in the bathroom for 45 min. and then threw up! Well, it's just that I have had conflicting experiences -

I had ramen in a bowl and hadn't washed it out but needed it for stir fry or something, so I just rinsed it out and went on with it (this was while I was gluten-free) and after eating it I felt sick within 2 hrs but I take communion at mass and it doesn't seem to have an effect. But as you guys said it just might do damage, but I won't react. This is all so confusing, I can't wait 'till I get the biopsy done! then I'll know for sure.

Thanks again for your help. I guess I'll just have to learn how my body reacts and still stay vigilant. Still, it's a bummer that I can't have frosted flakes (kellogg's) just because it has malt extract!

OH! is there a list of additives such as malt extract that look innocent but usually have gluten? All I know of is TVP.

Thanks!

Miso

(gonna have to find gluten-free miso now :( )

P.S. - Missy'smom, that's a really cool pic! is it your hamster? Do you have a larger one anywhere?

Thanks!

[quote name='misoman' date='Feb 5 2007, 07:52 PM' post='266538'

P.S. - Missy'smom, that's a really cool pic! is it your hamster? Do you have a larger one anywhere?

Thanks!

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies