Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nhnyem

Gluten-free In College!

Hi there, I am a college student and I just found out that I am gluten intolerant. It is not easy avoiding gluten in the dining halls, but I can make food in my dorm room. Any suggestions on foods I can make in the dorms that are gluten free that won't leave me still feeling like I need to eat something more? Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

What kind of cooking facilities do you have access to? Do you have an actual kitchen or is it a microwave/hot pot type of situation? :)

"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

I had found this webpage in my searches, it may help you.

http://www.celiacdisease.net/Home/tabid/58/Default.aspx

Find Celiac 101 in sidebar, and once you roll over it it will say "Celiac Disease 101- For Students."

I hope that helps!

Gluten free since Sept. 2006

Improved on gluten free diet

Enterolab results confirmed suspicions on Jan. 29th 2007

I'm a freshman in college and got diagnosed this fall so I know the pains of dorm room cooking.

Amy's has a few microwave meals that are good. Do you have problems with caesin? If not there are a lot of Amy's meals that you can make (from mac and cheese to indian). Thai noodle bowls are also good (I can't remember the exact name brand right now, but if you go to Whole foods and look where all the thai noodle bowls are and read the labels a few will say gluten free.) Hope that helps some.

Hi,

Do you have a rice cooker? it is very useful, I dont know if they allow you to have one in a dorm. (you can get one from Walmart, I think there are also microwave versions of it) - but you need to have your own gluten-free rice..

I am in college too, but still living at home. I was just gonna start you a list of things to keep in your dorm:

gluten-free Cereal- good snack,envirokidz peautbutter panda puffs you can get a kroger. Fruity pebbles coco pebbles. Natures path corn flakes.

Nuts- Almonds,Cashews, Peanuts, Pistashios- all good snacks! n some little plastic bags to take them to class as a snack

Deli meat (hormel says gluten free on the package) and cheese

Potatoes(sweet, red if you have a microwave)

Bananas, apples, really any fruit and im sure you get plenty of that in the caf!

I would talk to the people in the dinning hall if you are still eatin there and possible bring them a skillet specifically for your eggs maybe..

yogurt is a good snack too yoplait is good.

let me know what you have acess to and I can help more!