This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Girl Scout Cookies - Samoas

kbabe1968

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

I'm not sure what they are called everywhere. Around here they're called Samoas, I think they are also called Caramel Delights.

I'm trying to recreate them.

My rememberance is they are shortbread with a caramel, then coconut then chocolate.

Are Kraft Caramels gluten free? Or should I try to make my own caramels.

My plan was to make shortbread cookies, dip in caramel, top with coconut, then dip in chocolate.

Thoughts?

THANKS!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jkmunchkin Rising Star

I would be in heaven if someone could recreate Samoas.

Guhlia Rising Star

Oh my gosh, if you manage to recreate those cookies, please please PLEASE share your recipe!!! I would do almost anything to have a Caramel Delight again.

angel-jd1 Community Regular
I'm not sure what they are called everywhere. Around here they're called Samoas, I think they are also called Caramel Delights.

I'm trying to recreate them.

My rememberance is they are shortbread with a caramel, then coconut then chocolate.

Are Kraft Caramels gluten free? Or should I try to make my own caramels.

My plan was to make shortbread cookies, dip in caramel, top with coconut, then dip in chocolate.

Thoughts?

THANKS!

Probably toast the coconut........

Ok googled Samoa Recipe and came up with quite a few.....you might check that out. Mmmmm now I am hungry for these cookies! ha

-Jessica :rolleyes:

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I hope someone can recreate those...yummy! Thin Mints too!

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Someone posted a while back that if you make RIce Krispie Treats (with gluten-free crispy rice cereal, of course) and add chocolate chips and coconut, it tastes very much like samoas.

I agree--and I add a big dollop of peanut butter, too.

If you want it more caramely, you can add extra brown sugar and butter as you melt the marshmallows.

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

Oh yeah, I'll share the recipe! It's going to take me a while to work on it....I may not get to it for another week or two (I'm low on my grocery budget until the 15th so I won't be able to buy any new ingredients.) I can make the shortbread to test it out first.

Yes.....thin mints....those I'll figure out too....but Samoas/Carmel Delights are my favorite, so I have to do them first! Must be loyal.

I like the idea of the rice crispy treat with coconut and such...but I'm also looking for the same texture as the original.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lauren M Explorer

Ooooh, by far my favorite Girl Scout cookie. One of these companies should recreate the entire Girl Scout line with gluten-free versions. I'll take some peanut butter patties, too!

- Lauren

Guhlia Rising Star

There's a recipe for Thin Mints on TopSecretRecipes.com... Perhaps someone could adapt it? I think it's one of the recipes you have to buy, but they're not expensive.

hapy4dolphins Contributor

HI, I had gotten a receipee from here before about mint cookies.

Ingredients

gluten-free animal crackers ( I get Mi-Del)

bakers chocolate

peppermint extract

Melt chocolate in pan.

Add several drops of pepperment extract into pan and mix well. (Note, take pan FARRRRRRRR away from fire, the extract if flamable. I know this from experience by accident)

Dip each cookie into the mix and put on wax paper that's on a cookie sheet.

Put in refridgerator for about 30 minutes. Taste great.

GFBetsy Rookie

Rice Crispy treats made with Cocoa Pebbles and 1/2 to 1 c. of coconut added after melting the marshmallows taste an AWFUL lot like samoa's. I've never actually drizzled them with caramel, but I bet they'd taste even better that way!

Run-4-Jesus Rookie

You asked about Kraft carmels and if they were gluten-free. I know that some people react differently to different things but I am very sensitive and had Kraft carmels and was fine. So I'm pretty sure they're gluten-free but to check and make sure just call the number on the back. Most of those people are good about finding out if it's gluten-free or not, although some people are just plain rude.

Which reminds me of a story I'll tell really quickly. I wanted to eat some Hardees hash rounds one time and so I called my local Hardees to ask them if they were deep-fried in the same oil as anything else and the guy said, "I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT!" and hung up on me! :lol: Some people are just so rude.

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

R4J - thanks. I'll check on the caramels....Kraft is a pretty reputable co and lists allergens well, so I think the bag would say.

On a side note - LOVE your name, and your signature. Hebrews 12:1 & 2

Run-4-Jesus Rookie
R4J - thanks. I'll check on the caramels....Kraft is a pretty reputable co and lists allergens well, so I think the bag would say.

On a side note - LOVE your name, and your signature. Hebrews 12:1 & 2

I love those verses and I love how the Bible often compares Christianity with a race. :) 1Cor 9:24-27

BeeBee Newbie

These were my daughter's favorite cookies before she was diagnosed 6 weeks ago. I tried to recreate the Samoas for her like this. I made them as a bar cookie using a recipe for toffee bars. After baking the crust, I spread on a layer of melted chocolate. When the chocolate hardened, I melted some Kraft caramels with some evaporated milk and spread on top of the chocolate. I immediatedly sprinkled finely chopped toasted coconut on top of the caramel. I finished it off by drizzling a little bit of chocolate over the top.

They don't taste exactly like Samoas but they are good!

Clark Bent as Stupor-Man Contributor

I had a box of samoas that I ended up having to give away after I went gluten-free... assuming I can eat dairy and whatnot down the road, I'd buy gluten-free boxes of them and the tagalong joints (peanut butter and chocolate ones) with the quickness.. I'm sure a lot of others would as well

Nantzie Collaborator

These are my favorites too. I always was a little irritated that my mom's favorite, Thin Mints, came in a box with stacks of them (like Ritz crackers) and Samoas came in a widely-spaced plastic tray.

The last year I ordered Girl Scout Cookies, I ordered 10 boxes of Samoas. The only reason I ordered 10 boxes is because I didn't want the girl scout mom who I was ordering from to think I was a pig by ordering the 30 I actually wanted. :lol:

I can't wait to see what you come up with for a recipe.

:drool:

Nancy

AmyTopolski Apprentice

Open Original Shared Link

I just made this recipe today and it was awesome! I did make some changes. We only used 2 cups of coconut and didn't cook it as long as it called for. I also made the gluten-free shortbread cookies. Definately worth looking at! Enjoy!

Amy

SarahTorg Apprentice
These are my favorites too. I always was a little irritated that my mom's favorite, Thin Mints, came in a box with stacks of them (like Ritz crackers) and Samoas came in a widely-spaced plastic tray.

The last year I ordered Girl Scout Cookies, I ordered 10 boxes of Samoas. The only reason I ordered 10 boxes is because I didn't want the girl scout mom who I was ordering from to think I was a pig by ordering the 30 I actually wanted. :lol:

I can't wait to see what you come up with for a recipe.

:drool:

Nancy

Oh, your post made me laugh today!!

I too, am irritated by the amount of thin mints versus samoas.

I did buy a box of thin mints from my friends daughter. My friend asked, "only one box?"

LOLOL

Well, my dh is the ONLY one that can eat the darn things.. grrr.

I think I will try the rice crispy thing!

Are cocoa pebbles gluten free?

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

Thanks Amy! I appreciate the recipe!

I might get the toss away foil muffin cups b/c I don't have a muffin pan! :D

I'll probably be trying the shortbread recipe this weekend sometime, we have company Monday, so i want to test it out on them. IF I can get my hand on some caramels and coconuts - or the ingredients for the recipe you posted, I may give them a whirl early - my food budget is just strapped this week! 4 more days until Payday! LOL :D

AmyTopolski Apprentice
Thanks Amy! I appreciate the recipe!

I might get the toss away foil muffin cups b/c I don't have a muffin pan! :D

I'll probably be trying the shortbread recipe this weekend sometime, we have company Monday, so i want to test it out on them. IF I can get my hand on some caramels and coconuts - or the ingredients for the recipe you posted, I may give them a whirl early - my food budget is just strapped this week! 4 more days until Payday! LOL :D

Just wanted to let you know after making these there is no reason to use muffin tins. Just lay your cookies on anything you want. The gooey stuff will not run off!

Amy

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

THANKS! COOL!!!!

I'm so excited!

Our MOPS table is responsible for refreshements next month. I'm never able to eat there b/c people always bring bready type things. Mine are all going to be gluten free but I'm not going to tell anyone!!! LOL!!!

Making an egg casserole with hash browns in the bottom and cinnamon swirl bread....I may take these cookies too if they turn out good! LOL :D

mellajane Explorer

I thought you might be interested in reading this web page: Open Original Shared Link

This receipe is awesome a couple of ideas for the samoas... Mix all ingredients together in a bowl eliminate the marshmallows and add caramels on top like thumbprints and make them into cookies..

From,

mellajane

Guhlia Rising Star
Just wanted to let you know after making these there is no reason to use muffin tins. Just lay your cookies on anything you want. The gooey stuff will not run off!

Amy

Amy, how did the cookies turn out? Do they taste like the girl scout cookies? We're dying to hear!!! :)

Nantzie Collaborator

Oo! Oo! Oo! I found something that would work for this SOOOO well.

At our local natural food store they carry a line of cookies called Sunstart. It says Wheat Free, but under that it says "Cookies made from ingredients naturally free from gluten and wheat" (emphasis their's). I just notice that part the other day.

I was feeling adventurous so I bought the Coconut Cookies. They are so good. It's like a shortbread cookie with a wonderful coconut flavor. As I was eating it, it made me think of the samoas.

I don't have any caramels, and it's raining pretty hard here, so I won't be going to the store tonight.

This is what I'm planning though -

- Drizzle coconut cookies with melted caramel, then put in the fridge to harden.

- Dip bottoms of cookies in melted chocolate.

- Drizzle tops of cookies with melted chocolate.

- Top with toasted coconut.

Here's the site for the cookies - Open Original Shared Link

If you like peanut butter on it, I'd put it on as the first step, before you drizzle it with caramel.

I can't wait to try this!!

Nancy

Archived