Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TinkerbellSwt

Er Doctor

I had my son in the ER again this past weekend for constipation. I did everything the doc last weekend told me to do if he gets that bad. I know its gross, but they told me to put on gloves and go up and try and get it.. she even gave me a handful of gloves to keep. Well the ol demon was back yesterday.. he was screaming.. face purple and everything. So I did what the doc said, gave him the glycerin baby lax, and vaseline to prevent tearing. He still couldnt get it out, so I bravely went and got a glove. Now I am scared out of my mind as it is, and Colin is kicking and squirming in pain, but I did it, I stuck my pinky finger and couldnt even get the first knuckle in, there was the blockage, so I said forget this, on to the immediate medical ER, its just a satelite station for our regular ER, I knew he wasnt going to be admitted and this place is usually decent, in and out in a few minutes.

So, in walks Dr. Personality. I tell him the story, I tell him that we both eat totally gluten free, which in itself is probably contributing to the constipation.. lots of rice, etc.. I just havent been able to find a way to keep him moving... I have tried all types of food, prune juice, now we are back on mineral oil everyday.. but back to the story...

The doc asks me if he is a celiac, I said not proven yet, but I am and we err on the side of caution until I get him to the GI in CHOP (they are the only docs who get it, a regular blood test will not show gluten, b/c he ISNT eating it!!). The doc looked at me like I had horns growing out of my head. He then examined Colin, did the same thing with the gloves that I did, and said, nope, there isnt anything there, he must have went... ummmm... no.... I am the only one home with Colin all day, I am the only one changing his diapers, he didnt go. He must have the doc says.. Colin doesnt walk yet, doesnt talk yet, is behind in everything due to his severe prematurity, but he learned how to change and dispose of his own diapers??? I am amazed! I asked the doc that when I was doing the glove treatment, could I have pushed it back up?? He said no that cant happen.. now the one thing I have learned as a celiac, there is no one alive who knows more about bowel systems than a celiac... so yes, you can push it back up.. how far? that I dont know, but it can be done.. I have had to do it for Colin before, to help get glycerin in him.. so anywhooo Dr Personality said to up the amount of liquid intake, ok I get that, and go and get him this malt substance which will help. I said malt?? Usually Celiacs cant have malt, again I get the look of horns on my head... ok, to cut this forever thread short, he lets us leave, meanwhile Colin is bearing down like crazy for what? obviously for no reason according to doc..

So we get home, Colin is exhausted, poor kid had more up his tushy yesterday than most of us have in a year.. even with our celiacs! So I put him in bed, with his warm milk and leave him.. now his routine will be fuss for a while, then I go check for a dirty diaper, he wont sleep with poopy diapers.. so I went up.. yeah, he went.. it was the size and exact shape of a golf ball!!!!!! I couldnt believe it, and I have no idea how it came out!!!

But that is my story of stupid doctor of the day here.. nope, Colin didnt go.. idiot.. and poor baby probably already has hemorriods. stupid stupid stupid

Stephanie

Gluten free since October 05

son born severly premature due to

celiac

"True love stories never end" Richard Bach

"Did you ever stop thinking and forget to start again?" AA Milne

If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you" AA Milne

Swimming Instructor #2 and Town Crier of Rachelville

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Not that this would really solve the problem, but I'd be so tempted just to pack the whole diaper up, take it to the ER, give it to the doctor and say: "I was sure you were right and that there couldn't be anything in there. After all, doctors are never wrong. But my son disagreed with me, so could you please explain to him again how he really didn't have any problems? Then maybe next time he'll listen better. "

Doctors who think they know everything make me so angry!

Stephanie,

I am so sorry that poor little Colin is having to go through all of this. Doctors (and others) like that make me crazy.

Is your appt at CHOP coming up soon?

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Hi Stephanie,

I already read your other story about this problem. This is really messed up. Another story with a stupid doctor. I hope, that your little one is feeling better soon. This is awefull.

Hugs, Stef

Stef

Next goals:

Results for 2011:

1x PA State Champ (I defended my title in pointfighting) and also again Grand Champion in pointfighting

August 20-27: Karate and Kickboxing World Championships in Germany (my homecountry)

gluten-free since 07/21/2004

Shermans Dale, PA

Stef, Is Colin lactose intolerant? I have a thought on this and it's ok to PM me as I'd rather not discuss here...

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

I finally got an appt with the GI dept at CHOP for Colin.. I have to wait until June! That is the first available for the doc that deals with celiac. At least I have the appt. He will just remain gluten free, heck, even if the gene isnt there, he will be basically gluten free, my home is gluten free either way, Gary doesnt have it, but he eats gluten free at home. No questions! LOL

Stephanie

Gluten free since October 05

son born severly premature due to

celiac

"True love stories never end" Richard Bach

"Did you ever stop thinking and forget to start again?" AA Milne

If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you" AA Milne

Swimming Instructor #2 and Town Crier of Rachelville

I am sorry you had such a hard time at the ER. Seeing your child in pain is aweful.

I saw you mentioned warm milk. Is it cows milk? Any amount of cows milk can cause constipation in some kids and people. It is just a thought. I know it helped one little boy I know to switch to soy.

I hope you find the answers.

Take care,

Monica