Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lindsay GFMom

Old Flour Containers

I'm emptying my kitchen of gluten. If I wash the flour storage containers in hot, soapy water, can I use them to hold gluten-free flour, or is the risk of cross-contamination too high?

Someone told me that gluten molecules are very small and very sticky and you really shouldn't use anything that has had flour in it. Do you agree?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

If you would feel more comfortable, by all means, replace the containers. That way you'll know for sure they are safe.

I washed mine by hand in the sink, several times, with lots of soap, and several rinses. It's a smooth plastic, tupperware-style container with no scratches. I'm very sensitive to gluten and haven't had any problems. But I know not everyone would recommend that, and I'm just saying that's what I did, not what anyone else should do.

Gluten is very sticky and you do have to be very careful. If my husband uses a dish for gluten, it gets washed thoroughly by hand and run through the dishwasher before I will use it.

~Li

Celiac, dx Sep 2006

I say why risk it?? Throw the old containers in the trash, garage sale box, or goodwill and forget it. Buy some new ones and then you will not be wondering if "that old flour container" glutened you.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Jessica

Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!

Kansas

I say why risk it?? Throw the old containers in the trash, garage sale box, or goodwill and forget it. Buy some new ones and then you will not be wondering if "that old flour container" glutened you.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

I can't agree more.....

Going gluten-free is not so easy as we think, then once we get used to it its not so hard as we thought :D

Getting into the routine is hardest and this takes practice and almost everyone makes a few mistakes....

If you can eliminate as many risks as possible then you are more likely to identify the mistakes ...

Financially ... if you wash them in a dishwasher you just contaminated the dishwasher and anything else in there... so then you need to do a few extra runs to be certain? When you compare this to the cost of tupperware its cheaper to replace the tupperware?

If you had a container with some emotional content like a present from your mom or a container you had used in childhood and carries memories then that's a different matter... but for tupperware why take any risk?

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)