Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sallylew

Iron Infusion Treatment For Iron Deficeincy Anemia

I just had my first iron infusion treatment on Monday (2/5) for moderate-severe anemia.

How long does it take to start feeling better? Also, am I supposed to keep taking iron supplement (orally)? I'm scheduled to go back in one month for another infusion.

Thanks,

Sally

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Sally, are you gluten free? Are you taking these infusions because of vitamin deficiency from celiac disease? My sister has these done for about 2 months before going gluten free, I can't remember how long she did them, I do know that once gluten free, her iron levels improved. She still has to keep an eye on them, but she doesn't do the infusions. If infusions mean what I am thinking. She was doing IV iron every Wednesday for 3 hours, then once a month for a few months. That was 6 years ago.

Deb

Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

I am getting Iron Infusions every week for 8 weeks. SO far I have had 2. AFter the first one, my blood hadn't improved, but she said she didn't expect it to yet. Anyway, I have been gluten free for 18 months and assume that my iron has been low most of that time. I am still have stomach issues alot, but not sure what the problem is. My tests for celiac were borderline, after I had been gluten free for 2 months. Now my biopsies were normal and I had no issues on the colonoscopy. I had mild gastritis. I really don't know what my problem is. It is frustrating to feel good for a week or two and then not know why I am sick again. I do think that I am getting some gluten probably in my kitchen possibly, because I am always making my kids sandwiches, etc. with gluten. I don't ever eat out anymore, because i was getting sick too much.

I wouldn't think you would need the oral iron right now. I was unable to tolerate the iron, because my stomach is already so messed up most of the time.

Monica