Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

amarieski

Diagnosed With Just Celiac Panel?

Im newly diagnosed , but as far as I thought the true way to diagnose is through intestinal biopsy correct? I had the celiac panel as far as I know (blood test) and what my doc said was one was normal not sure which, next was above normal and last was abnormally high <_< so what was suggested is gluten free diet, vitamin levels checked next week, referral to gi doc and then retest levels in one month. Im also pregnant so I would assume any internal testing would wait a bit until after the baby arrives. I guess also what I thought was any gluten restraint should wait until after biopsy or internal testing to be accurate so why would they suggest the diet now? and wouldnt that effect a proper diagnosis?

thanks a million

Dee

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

First, I am not a doctor or a medical person.

I don't know which of your blood tests were positive, but celiac blood tests are rarely false positive. There's a good chance you have celiac.

Normally you would indeed stay on gluten until the biopsy but the fact that you're pregnant complicates things. Untreated celiac affects your ability to absorb nutrients and vitamins and so has the potential to cause problems with pregnancies. Many women have perfect pregnancies with untreated celiac, but the chance of problems increases. So even without a biopsy, it would seem to me your doctor has given you prudent advice -- go gluten free. If you want to do a challenge and have a biopsy after the pregnancy you can do that.

richard

I believe the blood panel is enough to be positive for celiac. You are right that if you go gluten free the villi will heal, but you are pregnant and to ensure the baby receives nutrients I think you should remain gluten free. I just don't think the biopsy is necessary to prove you have it. If I had known what I do now about celiac I would have just had the blood test and would not believe the endscopy was necessary, but I was not told the blood was positive until after the biopsy confirmed it for the doctor.

Nostaglia is a file that removes the rough edges from the good old days!!!!

" 15 years of it's stress!"

"blood work show's a disease called celiac,

but it can't be that because it's rare!"

Diagnosed via blood and biopsy 2003

Not a medical professional just a silly celiac

offering support, my

experience and advice

Thankyou guys very much, my thoughts exactly that bc I am pregnant is why she told me to go gluten free, considering I wasnt sure if the panel was enough, Im sure now through reading again more info that a biopsy just confirms it more. So that puts me a little at rest that the blood tests are enough, I cant see why then after the baby they would tell me to get back on gluten just so they could do a biopsy lol. I already have a daughter and shes great, ultrasounds so far show this child also is just fine so Im thankful, and luckily the baby is taking what he needs from me eitherway so I know why I feel cruddy! only 10 weeks left also so hopefully this diet will help more if naything:)

Thanks so much again

Dee