This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Newly celiac disease In Houston

ShannonS

ShannonS Newbie

I am newly diagnosed with celiac disease, like one week old. I am just happy after 12 years of misery finally something. My wife is on her first grocery trip right know. I am in gluten free overload! Any suggestions on staying gluten free?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

PeggyV Apprentice

Welcome!

I live in Houston too. Both my daughter and I live here and are both self diagnosed gluten intolerant. You can find gluten free foods in a few stores. Finding quick food was harder, but I found Amy's gluten free frozen meals at whole foods, some Krogers and HEB, though some people have had some problems with them on the site, so far I havent. Whole foods had a package of 2 brown rice frozen pizza crusts that are great for adding your own toppings. was good for a quick meal. My husband does not have to eat gluten-free, but at home he eats what I do and enjoys it.

I do a lot of my own baking for bread and especially health muffins and you can by differt types of gluten-free flour in most stores, but HEB and Whole foods are the best. Whole food also sell pre made bake goods, the look good, but spendy. I have always liked cooking and since most of my dinners consisted of meat and several vegtables I didnt have to change to much there.

I have not had problems with resutrants. In nicer places if you let the chef know of your problem, they will let you know. I had a great filet at the Vista, over by the Galleria. Out back has a gluten free menu, PF Changs has a great gluten free menu and so does Pei Wei. I also have good luck with mexican resturants.

You have to be careful, read every label when grocery shopping. When ordering in resturants, I usually ask for just salt, pepper and garlic on my meats, no seasoning on vegtables (for some reason a lot of seasoned vegtables have gluten....) But I dont find it hard now that I am use to it. I have been gluten free about 4 months now. I can really feel it when I get accidently glutened. No fun.

Good luck

Peggy

Betty in Texas Newbie
Welcome!

I live in Houston too. Both my daughter and I live here and are both self diagnosed gluten intolerant. You can find gluten free foods in a few stores. Finding quick food was harder, but I found Amy's gluten free frozen meals at whole foods, some Krogers and HEB, though some people have had some problems with them on the site, so far I havent. Whole foods had a package of 2 brown rice frozen pizza crusts that are great for adding your own toppings. was good for a quick meal. My husband does not have to eat gluten-free, but at home he eats what I do and enjoys it.

I do a lot of my own baking for bread and especially health muffins and you can by differt types of gluten-free flour in most stores, but HEB and Whole foods are the best. Whole food also sell pre made bake goods, the look good, but spendy. I have always liked cooking and since most of my dinners consisted of meat and several vegtables I didnt have to change to much there.

I have not had problems with resutrants. In nicer places if you let the chef know of your problem, they will let you know. I had a great filet at the Vista, over by the Galleria. Out back has a gluten free menu, PF Changs has a great gluten free menu and so does Pei Wei. I also have good luck with mexican resturants.

You have to be careful, read every label when grocery shopping. When ordering in resturants, I usually ask for just salt, pepper and garlic on my meats, no seasoning on vegtables (for some reason a lot of seasoned vegtables have gluten....) But I dont find it hard now that I am use to it. I have been gluten free about 4 months now. I can really feel it when I get accidently glutened. No fun.

Good luck

Peggy

Betty in Texas Newbie
Welcome!

Good luck

Peggy

Betty in Texas Newbie

Hi to every body in Houston I live in Porter Texas outside of Humble . I don't know anybody with this disease around me I have a very large family and no body else has it that we know of . I found out with blood work and biop thru GI Dr. But doing purtty good most of the time . I don't any thing but meats veggs. rice, fruits, cottage cheese, eggs and bacon, nuts. and that's about it . Nice to here from yall. Betty

Betty in Texas Newbie

Sorry I mess up on the post I am not the best at this computer stuff just learning. My Dr was the best Dr Banker in Humble he explained everything and seemed to know a lot about this disease he said that I had had it all my life and my insides was really in bad shape . I never heard of it before but I never wanted any of that food close to my mouth again I was diag 3 years ago and I am 55 Betty

ShannonS Newbie

There are alot of things out there that say they are gluten free. But for now everything makes my stomach upset. That is great about whole foods.. there is a new one being built down in sugarland. But for now, none in the cypress direction. Oh well, maybe soon. My wife has found alot of food at Wal-Mart. She is going to try Krogers tomorrow for any other ideas for dinner. Thank you so much for the support and ideas. Have a great week.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Creative-Soul Newbie

Welcome, ShannonS!

You may want to have a look at Nini's 'newbie Survival Guide' on her website @ Open Original Shared Link if you haven't already! She has some great tips!

Archived