This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Doctor In Phoenix

kaciemarie

kaciemarie Contributor

So, I have been gluten free for about a year and a half and have never been to the doctor. I just started eating gluten free because I did my own research and it seemed to be what was wrong with me so I tried it out and immediately started feeling better. Now a year and a half later I am just wondering if I should actually go to the doctor and get a diagnosis or not. Any opinions? Also, does anyone have any doctor recommendations for the Phoenix area, especially in Gilbert or Mesa?

Thank you!

Kacie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rachel--24 Collaborator

I dont live in your area so cant give any recommendations as far as doctors...but unless you're continuing to have symptoms it seems like you've already got the correct diagnosis.

If you would like to be "officially" diagnosed you would need to resume eating gluten....for several months. If gluten makes you feel bad I dont think this would be the wisest choice. You would need to eat enough gluten so that you are causing damage to your intestines (this can take months or even years) in order to know whether or not you have Celiac.

If you feel good....I would just get on with feeling good and be happy that you discovered the problem and were able to correct it. :)

Jestgar Rising Star

Hi Kacie,

I've never been diagnosed by a doctor. When I realized that I wouldn't be eating gluten anymore I sent my doctor a letter and some articles about Celiac. I haven't seen her since that time and other MDs I see I just tell them I'm not eating gluten. Period.

mouse Enthusiast

There is a fantastic GI doctor in Mesa. His name is David Leff. He would probably just talk to you and find out your previous symptoms. He would not be able to say if you were a Celiac, but could probably tell if you were gluten intolerant. He puts some of his patients on the gluten-free diet, even if the blood tests come back negative. He is really well informed on Celiac and gluten intolerance.

glutenggirl Newbie
So, I have been gluten free for about a year and a half and have never been to the doctor. I just started eating gluten free because I did my own research and it seemed to be what was wrong with me so I tried it out and immediately started feeling better. Now a year and a half later I am just wondering if I should actually go to the doctor and get a diagnosis or not. Any opinions? Also, does anyone have any doctor recommendations for the Phoenix area, especially in Gilbert or Mesa?

Thank you!

Kacie

If you remove gluten from your diet and feel better and choose to be gluten free from that point onward, there is no reason to pursue medical advise.

If you remove gluten and are continuing to have symptoms, you need medical evaluation because you may have something else going on, such as malignancy, other colitis diseases.

If you remove gluten and symptoms resolve, but you choose to add gluten back to your diet, then you definitely need medical evaluation, because of the increased risk of malignancy if you have gluten sensitivity but continue to eat it.

Unfortunately, physicians exclude gluten sensitivity if the blood work and biopsies are negative, inspite of a patient having an outrageously suspicious history for gluten sensitivity.

from glutengirl

Archived