Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paulr

Symptoms,need Some Answers,stressed Out

MY SYMPTOMS GOT WORSE AFTER BEING UNDER A STRESSFUL YEAR AT WORK.THE BATHROOM BECAME MY FRIEND,LOOSE STOOLS, ECT,DEPRESSION SET IN,I THOUGHT I WAS DYING. I HAD A BLOOD TEST DONE 2 MONTHS AGO CAME BACK POSITIVE AND NOW I AM WAITING FOR MY BIOPSY TO BE DONE. I AM NOW GLUTEN FREE AND STILL HAVE LOOSE STOOLS, SHOULD I BE GETTING BETTER BY NOW, ALSO I NEVER LOST WEIGHT WHEN I WAS SICK, THAT'S THE ONLY SYMPTOM I DID NOT GET, STILL LOOKING FOR ANSWERS

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Paul, many celiac's do not loose weight before going gluten-free. Our bodies learn to adjust to what it is fed and overcompensates for what it is lacking. I just kept gaining weight when I was sickest, no one could understand why I was gaining when I ate so little. I lost weight after I went gluten free.

Why are you gluten free now if you are scheduled to have a biopsy done? A positive blood test would be all I needed to convince me to go gluten-free anyways. Sometimes it takes a while for the gluten to leave your system and some people do not feel better immediately. Maybe you have not eliminated all of the gluten yet. Do you take any medications that may contain gluten? Or is it in your shampoos, soaps, lotions, etc?

Deb

Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

The symptoms for celiac are a long list...weight loss is not always a symptom....my daughter actually gained weight, looked pregnant and never wanted to wear anything but sweatpants. If you were under stress in addition to being undiagnosed celiac - its like a double whammy for yor body. It takes a while to recover..hang in there!

Stress affects the adrenal glands, chronic illness (such as undiagnosed celiac) affects the thyroid too. Anyone with autoimmune illness is more prone to depression... some need treatment others don't. Your system is probably still out of whack.

Your body needs time to adjust to a healthy gut...plus it is stressful to be diagnosed with an autoimmune illness...not surprised that the toilet is still your friend :o

sandy

Sandy

Type 1 diabetes - 1986

hypothyroid -1993

pernicious anemia

premature atrial beats

neuropathy

retinopathy

daughter is: age 15

central hypotonia and developmental delay

balance issues (rides an adult 3 wheel bike)

hypothyroid 1996

dermatographia - a form of angioedema 2002

celiac 2004 - by endoscopy

diagnosed Aspergers at age 7 - responded very well (HUGE difference) to gluten-free diet

recovered from Kawasaki (2003)

lactose intolerant - figured out in Oct/06

Gilberts syndrome (April/07)

allergy to stinging insects

scoliosis Jan 2008

nightshade intolerance - figured out April 2008

allergy to Sulfa antibiotics

son is 13

type 1 diabetic - 2003 diagnosed on his 9th birthday

celiac - 2004 by endoscopy

lactose intolerant - figured out Nov/06