Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gfgrandma

Xanthum Gum

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

<br />Is there an alternative ingredient for xanthan gum in yeast breads? Guar gum is also not available.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Have you tried the internet?

Bob's Red Mill could probably help you locate where it is sold near you or you could order some by mail.

Another great internet site for locating gluten-free products is the gluten free mall, located here from this site.

Otherwise, I know there are lots of ingredients on labels that I haven't experienced, and I intend to do some research to find out how each of them effect the texture and flavor etc of the baked goods.

Sometimes I don't use zanthan gum and just use things like tapioca flour and/or potatoe flour, corn starch, you might try these, though I don't know how it would effect the recipe you are using.....I only use these when I don't use a recipe and just throw some stuff in a bowl and make biscuits or pancakes or cake or brownies or things simple like that.

nearly 50yrs young and celiac disease nearly 20yrs<br />2 grown daughters, 1CD, other probably in denial, and 2 little grandaughters celiac disease<br />My elderly mother celiac disease in LaGrande Oregon<br /><br />I am healthy and active and love life too much to stray from celiac disease diet. <br />

Is there an alternative ingredient for xanthan gum in yeast breads? Guar gum is also not available.

gfg,

Where would a grandma live that doesn't have a health food store or medium size town nearby?

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

Where would a grandma live that doesn't have a health food store or medium size town nearby?

Well, I live in western Nebraska and the closest healthfood store is 60 miles away and has 2 four foot shelves for me to chose from, and its a pitiful selection let me tell you. I called the manager in charge of ordering and mentioned my wishes for a larger selection said he would special order whatever I wanted buying a case at a time but I would have to pay his regular price plus shipping, now I ask you, do I have idiot tatooed on my forehead? Told him thanks I will let you know.... gee now I can't find his phone number, hmmmm where DID I put that? I have found a great selection online and intend to use it to my credit cards glee. I am also concidering starting a gluten free grocery store here in town, I know for a fact I am not the only one around here with this issue and our current options have nothing to be desired, now all I need is a clone and some free time.

Just my .00000002 cents worth

If I knew what I was doing years ago I would have half a clue today!