Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Really I don't even know what Celiac's is but I stumbled across this site doing a search for something else. I just had a naturopath do a food intolerance test and it came back with some expected and surprising results. I've always known I've had a problem with milk so it was no surprise that I'm intolerant to milk in any form but what surprised me was that I am also intolerant to wheat and yeast....and soy and turnips and spinach and the meat/tomato combo and the meat/potato combo and chocolate and coffee and tea and cola. There that's it. lol. Does that make me celiac? Or just intolerant to some foods in general? I get IBS like symptoms?

Question for Ursa Major: I think you mentioned somewhere that you (or someone close to you) was intolerant to the meat/tomato combo...does the meat include poultry?

Connie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Connie:

Celiac Disease is an intolerance to gluten, a protein found in wheat, barley, malt, rye and sometimes oats. An intolerance can/will do damage to you small intestines. An allergy or sensitivity will/can have the same symptoms, but will not do damage.

You mentioned that you have several intolerances. Was this an allergy test?

Many of us have be diagnosed with IBS (which is not a diagnosis, but a symptom) for many years before testing or concluding that it was a gluten intolerance. It takes an average of 11 years for celiac to be diagnosed.

Could you expand on your symptoms, and perhap we can help you.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Connie:

Celiac Disease is an intolerance to gluten, a protein found in wheat, barley, malt, rye and sometimes oats. An intolerance can/will do damage to you small intestines. An allergy or sensitivity will/can have the same symptoms, but will not do damage.

You mentioned that you have several intolerances. Was this an allergy test?

Many of us have be diagnosed with IBS (which is not a diagnosis, but a symptom) for many years before testing or concluding that it was a gluten intolerance. It takes an average of 11 years for celiac to be diagnosed.

Could you expand on your symptoms, and perhap we can help you.

I have diarrhea quite regularily, like most every day since I can remember. It is preceded by cramps. I have never linked it to anything but I've never gone off bread before.

I did a food intolerance test with my Naturopath. It is a Vega test. He didn't mention an intolerance to gluten. But I don't know if I was tested for that. I was tested for an intolerance to rye and oats and I'm okay with them does that mean I do not have celiac's?

I will see in the coming weeks what happens...

IBS is a diagnosis, I just really wonder how real it is. IBS stands for Irritable Bowel Syndrome, although, a doctor once told me he feels it stands for "I Be Stumped!" Sometimes I think they diagnose it when they really have no idea what else is going on. I was diagnosed with it 25 years ago.

Connie--I have heard many celiac's say they have a problem when combining foods. I used to take my rice and a veggie, then stir it in with my cut up chicken and it did seem to cause upset. It was after this that I was told about not mixing things together. It does sound to me like a gluten free life may help you out. It can't hurt to try, gluten free can not hurt you. I think lots of people would be surprised at how much better they would feel if they were gluten free.

I was tested for an intolerance to rye and oats and I'm okay with them does that mean I do not have celiac's?No Connie, if gluten intolerant, then you would not be ok with them. For a very long time, barley did not effect me as the other glutens did, yet that does not mean it wasn't doing the same damage inside. The only reason I knew this was because for a few weeks I was eating a ricecake that contained barley, quite by accident, that was over 3 yrs ago. Oats, on the other hand, is controversial. I will never eats oats again, yet I reacted to them before I even knew abut gluten free. I grew up on a farm with a father who worked his entire life in grain elevators, I simply can not believe that oats can not be cross contaminated with wheat. So I will never trust oats.

Deb

Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

IBS is a diagnosis, I just really wonder how real it is. IBS stands for Irritable Bowel Syndrome, although, a doctor once told me he feels it stands for "I Be Stumped!" Sometimes I think they diagnose it when they really have no idea what else is going on. I was diagnosed with it 25 years ago.

Connie--I have heard many celiac's say they have a problem when combining foods. I used to take my rice and a veggie, then stir it in with my cut up chicken and it did seem to cause upset. It was after this that I was told about not mixing things together. It does sound to me like a gluten free life may help you out. It can't hurt to try, gluten free can not hurt you. I think lots of people would be surprised at how much better they would feel if they were gluten free.

I was tested for an intolerance to rye and oats and I'm okay with them does that mean I do not have celiac's?No Connie, if gluten intolerant, then you would not be ok with them. For a very long time, barley did not effect me as the other glutens did, yet that does not mean it wasn't doing the same damage inside. The only reason I knew this was because for a few weeks I was eating a ricecake that contained barley, quite by accident, that was over 3 yrs ago. Oats, on the other hand, is controversial. I will never eats oats again, yet I reacted to them before I even knew abut gluten free. I grew up on a farm with a father who worked his entire life in grain elevators, I simply can not believe that oats can not be cross contaminated with wheat. So I will never trust oats.

Once I am off wheat I will watch quite closely for problems with oats and barley and rye. Yikes this is getting bigger and bigger every day.

Connie