Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

glutenggirl

Negative Biopsy

Allergists have always manipulated diets and watched for clinical improvement in symptoms. GI docs always scope and biopsy and make determinations on the result.

If a food item is removed from the diet, and a patient feels remarkably better, that is the proof one needs.

A GI evaluation, as far as I am concerned, is to make sure a patient does not have additional problems that need to be addressed, such as a malignancy, or inflammatory bowel diseases that can occur with gluten sensitivity.

The problem with patients going on a gluten free diet without a positive biopsy is that, after a while, some of the patients decide a gluten free lifestyle is too restrictive. Then they want a biopsy! And for all of the wrong reasons, to stop being gluten free.

So, a positive biopsy will provide re-enforcement to the patient that they must live a gluten free lifestyle. A negative biopsy is never an indication to eat gluten, especially, when there has been clinical improvement in the symptoms when the patient is gluten free.

Gluten is the biggest toxin in the American diet. As far as I am concerned, no one should be eating it.

glutenggirl

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Allergists have always manipulated diets and watched for clinical improvement in symptoms. GI docs always scope and biopsy and make determinations on the result.

If a food item is removed from the diet, and a patient feels remarkably better, that is the proof one needs.

A GI evaluation, as far as I am concerned, is to make sure a patient does not have additional problems that need to be addressed, such as a malignancy, or inflammatory bowel diseases that can occur with gluten sensitivity.

The problem with patients going on a gluten free diet without a positive biopsy is that, after a while, some of the patients decide a gluten free lifestyle is too restrictive. Then they want a biopsy! And for all of the wrong reasons, to stop being gluten free.

So, a positive biopsy will provide re-enforcement to the patient that they must live a gluten free lifestyle. A negative biopsy is never an indication to eat gluten, especially, when there has been clinical improvement in the symptoms when the patient is gluten free.

Gluten is the biggest toxin in the American diet. As far as I am concerned, no one should be eating it.

Gluten is a toxin! I agree with you!