This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Best Gluten Free Beer?

Cottage-Soul

Cottage-Soul Apprentice

The lady at our local liquor store said she would order some gluten free beer and I need the names of a couple good brands for her. I prefer a light tasting beer (I was drinking Milwaukees Best Light or sometimes Michelob light). Any recommedations? It's been less than a week on the diet and I'm already missing my beer. :(

Thanks in advance.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

Now that Budweiser is making a gluten-free beer, it's easy to find. Theirs is called Redbridge, and hubby buys it at Kroger. He doesn't have to be gluten-free, but he likes Redbridge.

Guhlia Rising Star

RED BRIDGE is the best lighter tasting beer. Bard's Tale is the best fuller beer. Red Bridge is much cheaper as it's made by Anhueser-Busch. It's also easily found.

Guest KG in FL
The lady at our local liquor store said she would order some gluten free beer and I need the names of a couple good brands for her. I prefer a light tasting beer (I was drinking Milwaukees Best Light or sometimes Michelob light). Any recommedations? It's been less than a week on the diet and I'm already missing my beer. :(

Thanks in advance.

I have had the Redbridge and I think you will find it a little heavier and sweeter than a light or pale beer. I like the lighter beers as well, but Redbridge is the only one I seem to have in my area so it tastes pretty good! Does anyone know which gluten-free beers would be more like a light or pale beer? New Grist? Or Bard's?

Guhlia Rising Star
I have had the Redbridge and I think you will find it a little heavier and sweeter than a light or pale beer. I like the lighter beers as well, but Redbridge is the only one I seem to have in my area so it tastes pretty good! Does anyone know which gluten-free beers would be more like a light or pale beer? New Grist? Or Bard's?

New Grist is lighter than Bard's Tale. Bard's Tale is much more full bodied.

Guest cassidy

I thought that New Grist had more of a microbrew taste than a Bud Light type of taste. I liked the way it tasted, my only complaint was that it wasn't very carbonated. I'm used to very carbonated beers and I don't think you could get a 1/2" head on this one if you poured it straight in the middle of the glass. My favorite pre-diagnosis were Newcastle; I always thought all the domestic light beers tasted like water.

Does Redbridge say gluten-free on it? Are bars carrying it? I'm pregnant so it has been, and will be a while, before I have a beer but it would be nice to be able to go to a bar and order one.

Guhlia Rising Star

I can' remember if Red Bridge says gluten free on the label, I think it may. Either way, I contacted Anhueser-Busch when it first came out before I drank a bottle and they assured me that it was 100% gluten free. They had a recall in the very beginning due to possible contamination, but it turned out that the beer was fine and not contaminated. Before I got pregnant this was my beer of choice. It's very hoppy though, so if you don't like hoppy beers, you definitely won't like this one. It took me a little while to get used to the flavor. My husband thought it was reminiscent of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Heinekin. I don't know if that helps you a little with how it tastes.

I don't know if it's available in any bars. It should be though since it's a mainstream beer. My local Outback carries Bard's Tale!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mouse Enthusiast

I have tried all of the US ones and the New Grist is a lighter taste so you might have them order that one. It is made by Lakefront Brewery, in Milwaukee. I drink the AB RedBridge at the local bar as they ordered a case for me and put it in the cooler. No, I hardly ever go to the bar, but sometimes I do go on Bike Night's with hubby. So, I do have beer to drink. It tastes good, but I still prefer Bards Tale which is more like an ale. The Redbridge is heavier then the New Grist, but not as heavy as the Bards Tale.

larry mac Enthusiast
..... I prefer a light tasting beer (I was drinking Milwaukees Best Light or sometimes Michelob light). Any recommedations?.....

cs,

Redbridge is the only gluten-free beer I have had. To me, it is not light tasting. It is a little strong with some aftertaste. I prefer an extremely smooth beer, not highly carbonated like some "light" beers, with no aftertaste.

No offense, but if your drinking Milwaukees Best Light, you must not be too picky anyway (ha ha). Gluten-free beer is gonna cost a little more than that.

best regards, lm

Cottage-Soul Apprentice

Thanks guys! Guess I will ask her to get some New Grist and if she can't get that to go with the Red Bridge.

Yeah Larry, I guess my days of being a cheap date are over. :D

Nancym Enthusiast

I think Bard's Tale is excellent, but very expensive.

larry mac Enthusiast
.....Yeah Larry, I guess my days of being a cheap date are over. :D

cs,

LOL. That's really funny; I love it!

best regards, lm

lorka150 Collaborator

For those of you who have tried them (I haven't tried any), do any of them have similar tastes to other beers?

I dream about Kilkenny and Moosehead.

Guhlia Rising Star

They all taste like "real" beer. You could easily mix any one of these three talked about in with barley/wheat beers and not be able to tell that they're "special".

lorka150 Collaborator

Sorry, that isn't really what I meant... More like, do any of the beers taste like other specific beers?

Guhlia Rising Star

Oops, sorry... I think Red Bridge tastes similar to Sierra Nevada Pale Ale with a hint of Heineken flavor. DH agrees. I couldn't really compare any of the other beers to mainstream beers. Then again, I wasn't a huge beer drinker pre-gluten-free so I don't have a lot of room for comparisons.

Guest lorlyn

My husband really enjoys the red bridge beer and he loved all types of beer before going gluten free. Public's grocery store carries it and they cannot keep it on the shelf because there must be alot of people around on the gluten free diet. I do not recall that it says gluten free on it. My husband has no problems with it.

num1habsfan Rising Star

I'm gonna say La Messagere, only because its the only kind I can buy in Canada :lol:

~ lisa ~

larry mac Enthusiast
Does Redbridge say gluten-free on it?

c,

No, it does not. I'm looking at a bottle this very moment and here's what it say's:

REDBRIDGE

Beer Made From Sorghum

MADE WITHOUT WHEAT OR BARLEY

Anheuser- Busch, inc. St. Louis, Missouri

That is on the main front label and on the smaller band label at the top. On the side labels are the government warnings and visit us at www. redbridgebeer.com, questions/comments call 1-800-342-5283, and then the cash refund returnable bottle info.

That's it! Nothing else.

best regards, lm

Archived