Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lisa

Cascade Dishwasher Soap

Just a quick question:

I have a lousy dishwasher and there are always spots all over my glasses and dishes.

Should Cascade be a concern.

Thanks, Lisa

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I also use a product in my dishwasher called Glass Magic, you sprinkle it in the d/w bottom and wash as normal. Works great!

Ev in Michigan

GFDF since 8/20/05

Negative Bloodwork ~

Dr. encourages me to trust my

"Gut Reaction"

I use Cascade, no problems, my dishwasher is also lousy. Sadly, it is the only name brand appliance in our kitchen. It is GE, it sounds as if it will fall through the floor any minute. The rest of our appliances are Caloric and they are going strong, even though they look old. :)

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif

Years ago I bought Cascade and it ruined all my glasses -- they were all spotted and had a cloudy film. I never could get rid of it and ended up buying new glasses.

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

I have also stopped using Cascade--because of the spotting.

I now use (and really like) the Electrosol tablets with the "power ball" on it. The dishes come out nice, and no more spots :)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

I am not so concerned about the spot although a pain. The residue and CC is a concern on the spotty items. Hubby is not gluten free. Can gluteny cuddies rest in the spotty glasses? I don't know what the heat content of the machine. Or, is this a concern taken over the limits. :blink:

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Years ago I bought Cascade and it ruined all my glasses -- they were all spotted and had a cloudy film. I never could get rid of it and ended up buying new glasses.

So, that's what happened to my glasses. I bought Cascade only once, years ago, and I just made the connection now. I couldn't figure it out. My glasses were clear and then they were cloudy.

Thanks for figuring out my mystery.

Tapioca intolerant

First cousin dx'd with Celiac Disease

Grandmother died of malnutrition b/c everything made her sick... sounds like celiac to me.

Gluten-free since June 2005

Dx with IBS February 2005

Blood tests both negative (or inconclusive?) for celiac (in 2002 and 2004)

Guest cassidy

I have been using Cascade as well and my dishes have not been turning out well. I thought it was Florida water. I'm going to try another brand and see what happens.

Our dishwasher is not good and my husband eats gluten. When he puts stuff in the dishwasher he never rinses it off and shoves stuff everywhere. I don't get sick at home and I'm very sensitive, so I would say that even if it doesn't do the best job, it is good enough to get the gluten off.

Are you getting sick at home?

Just a quick question:

I have a lousy dishwasher and there are always spots all over my glasses and dishes.

Thanks, Lisa

I had this very question because of this very detergent!

These posts are old, and so the information should be re-checked, but...

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?a...mp;showentry=93

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?s...st&p=139672

I've since changed to Cascade dual action tablets and am much more satisfied with the appearance, and since I have no more spots I was able to stop wondering what's in those spots!

I am not so concerned about the spot although a pain. The residue and CC is a concern on the spotty items. Hubby is not gluten free. Can gluteny cuddies rest in the spotty glasses? I don't know what the heat content of the machine. Or, is this a concern taken over the limits. :blink:

Lisa,

I understand your concern--the same thought crossed my mind back when it was happening to me.

It does stand to reason that if the water isn't completely sheeting off the dishes/glasses, then possibly it is leaving something other than water spotting behind. I honestly don't know.

I tend to err on the side of caution, so I simply switched brands. I was not noticing that I was getting "mystery glutenings", so I did finish up what I had before switching. If you're not feeling well and can't figure out why, then I'd say switch brands and see if it makes any difference. :)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Guest cassidy

I tried using Lime Away on my glasses and silverware that were cloudy and it really worked. We soaked the silverware in it and then put it in the dishwasher and it is sparkling like new. We also did all the glasses and they look perfect.

Just an idea for anyone else with streaky dishes.

The water spots and film are salt deposits (not NaCl salt exclusively, of course, but the salts found in your water supply, all the more so if you have a water softener). A descaler - even just vinegar - can help get that off.

Oddly, I've never had any luck with the theory that you don't need to pre-rinse dishes before putting them in the dishwasher, so I don't know if the reason I don't have huge problems with this is because dishes go in clean-ish, but I've had it happen too, without Cascade.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

seventh generation makes a nice biodegradable detergent that is save for the environment. I find it works great.

The American Diet of Chips, soda, ice cream, Goldfish Crackers, bread for breakfast (cereal, donuts, waffles, toast, bagels) cereal bars, "gummies", candy, msg, dairy products of all kinds, soy, and other chemicals - is Killing us and promoting diseases. BE HEALTHY. EAT NATURAL FOODS. DO NOT INGEST CHEMICALS! If you cannot pronounce it, do not eat it. Use Coconut oil. Eat herbs in salads. NO DAIRY. LOVE YOURSELF. LOVE YOUR FAMILY. FOOD IS MEDICINE!

I have also stopped using Cascade--because of the spotting.

I now use (and really like) the Electrosol tablets with the "power ball" on it. The dishes come out nice, and no more spots :)

Dear jerseyangel and Carla,

Our dishes are having the same problem! I wondered what was causing that. It is disgusting! I am going to see if we can switch to Electrosol. That powerball is safe! Good, I will get some this week and see if it makes a difference!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Jin

Strawberry Allergy, mold allergy, dustmites allergy, ragweed allergy, dust allergy, food dye allergy - 1985

Asthma - 1994

Ovarian Cyst - May 1999

Anemia - 2000

4 More Ovarian Cysts - March 2000

Bloodwork for Celiac - November 2000 negative

Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, Intercolisis, Gastric Emptying Study - May and June 2001 negative biopsy

Fibromyalgia - June 2001

IBS - June 2001

Gallbladder Removal - July 28, 2003 after doctor said the tests showed nothing, so it was not gallbladder disease. It was very inflamed and irritated and nearly ruptured the surgeon told me at my 10 day post-op check-up.

Thyroid Disease - August 2004

Celiac Disease - March 2007 Current Dr. refers to me as Celiac, as she says blood tests are often inaccurate.

Official Purple Glittery Bat Keeper, District Attorney, and Chinese Restaurant Owner of The Silver Dragon of Rachelville

Believe it or not, my dished have been coming out horrible too! and..I use Cascade also.

I think I will be changing too, I thought it was my dishwasher (and it's only 3 years old!!!)

Gluten free since Sept. 2006

Improved on gluten free diet

Enterolab results confirmed suspicions on Jan. 29th 2007

Since changing to electrosol with the power ball, I have not had any problems with spotting on my dishes and my dishes are clean when they come out of the dishwasher.

I love electrosol.